Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car for three under 4?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

traineeacc wrote: »
    We couldn't get three in back when we were babysitting niece however that could be as ours is an older model -2006 maybe the newer ones don't have the kind of hump thing as arm rest comes down

We tried 2010 model. With two child seats and a baby maxi cosi. And would not fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Hmmm I wonder is the newer model any different. I will have to do some investigating.... Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Hmmm I wonder is the newer model any different. I will have to do some investigating.... Thanks :)

I would like to know too
    But I think that's why there are so many 7 seaters out there now because you can't fit.

Also when they get a little bit older the individual seats are a blessing as you don't have as much of " shes touching off me " he's sitting in my part of the seat! All those rows!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

monflat wrote: »
    I would like to know too
    But I think that's why there are so many 7 seaters out there now because you can't fit.

Also when they get a little bit older the individual seats are a blessing as you don't have as much of " shes touching off me " he's sitting in my part of the seat! All those rows!!

Hahaha hilair! I can't imagine those days... Kinda look forward to hearing T say Those things.... I think I'd prob burst out laughing rather than discipline. I
    Remember doing that to my poor older sister back in the day. God I was terrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

monflat wrote: »
    Ah that makes sense alright. Yes those compartments are a bit of a nuisance. Especially with small little people!

What's an ERF?

ERF stands for extended rear facing ;)
    http://www.rearfacing.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

Millem wrote: »
    I am no good on cars but our minder has a citreon c4 Picasso 7 seater which has 3 isofix points in the second row. (It might be called a grand Picasso?)
    She used to have a ford s max 7 seater which she loved but I think they are more expensive? The s max was before my time so I can't advise on isofix points etc.

Also my neighbour has recently bought a Peugeot 5008 which she is raving about.

Both have underfloor storage in the second row behind driver and passenger seats.....so any car seat with a supporting leg cannot be fitted over it.

We have had a 2008 model c4 grand Picasso since our twins were born 4 years ago when their brother was 2. All 3 seats are separate and have isofix. Initially we had maxi cosi seats and various seats since. Big boot for double buggy and luggage.

This thread is the first time I've heard of a problem with the storage compartments in the floor and I find the logic questionable as you can use seats which don't have support legs without any difficulty. The storage compartments are only for holding the puncture repair kit and would not be for any regular access. The doors are also very solid and you'd forget the compartments are there.

I'd recommend you look into this further before disregarding the c4.

People don't realise how limited the choice is as the back seats of most cars are designed for 2 adults and 3 seats won't sit in easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

dublinlady wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm going to need a new car. When my third child is born I'll have a 3 year old and two year old also. I want something that will easily fit three car seats with room in a boot for a buggy and suitcase etc!
    I don't mind how big it is really but would like it to be good looking rather than bus like!

Mazda 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

There's always the multimac expensive but you could keep your nice non mammy car... http://www.multimac.co.uk/shop/

Think this is what I'd do ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

searay wrote: »
    We have had a 2008 model c4 grand Picasso since our twins were born 4 years ago when their brother was 2. All 3 seats are separate and have isofix. Initially we had maxi cosi seats and various seats since. Big boot for double buggy and luggage.

This thread is the first time I've heard of a problem with the storage compartments in the floor and I find the logic questionable as you can use seats which don't have support legs without any difficulty. The storage compartments are only for holding the puncture repair kit and would not be for any regular access. The doors are also very solid and you'd forget the compartments are there.

I'd recommend you look into this further before disregarding the c4.

People don't realise how limited the choice is as the back seats of most cars are designed for 2 adults and 3 seats won't sit in easily.

I am not disregarding c4 at all in fact I pointed out it had 3 isofix points ;)
    There are not too many ERF seats without a supporting leg in fact I think all isofix ERF seats have support legs. I ended up buying a britax max fix 2 (isofix and supporting leg) for the Middle seat for minder's car (2013) but the baby hated being in the middle so I ended up swapping seats with her (I don't have storage compartments) and now she has a britax TWE (tethers and no leg) which is one of the very very few ERF that do not have a supporting leg. I still think those storage compartments are a waste of time considering those new car seat isize rules are coming in
    http://www.parentdish.co.uk/baby/child-car-seat-confusion-guide-to-the-new-regulations-and-products/
    http://www.i-size.org.uk/index-temp.html

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

None of the normal Saloon cars fit 3 child seats safely across the back.
    There are 5 seaters like the Renault scenic and the Citroen Xsara Picasso though which can fit the car seats in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Thought this was in the motoring forum, didn't pass any notice since I'm on the phone. Might get better responses there. Threads like this have come up before and I've said it numerous times that a superb and Mondeo will take 3 baby seats in the back. This is the 2007 on mondeo and 2009 on superb. Obviously it's going to be tight, so 3 smaller seats would only work, as opposed to some of the more extravagant ones. There should be enough isofix anchorage points. Sure you wouldn't have 3 baby seats in the back, don't know much about baby seats, or babies for that matter, but are they not only in baby seats for a year or two? Booster/baby seat combination would be easier again, although it can be difficult to access the buckles. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MmC1980

we got a 4,2 year old and a new born in octavia was a squeeze but its possible new born seat is high up and rear facing so the seat beside it sits slightly underneath

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

MmC1980 wrote: »
    we got a 4,2 year old and a new born in octavia was a squeeze but its possible new born seat is high up and rear facing so the seat beside it sits slightly underneath

Had one of them for a weekend, when the kids were 0, 2 & 3.

Only way it would work for for us, was the eldest in the front passenger seat, two kids in the back with mum squeezed between the two kid seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

VW Touran look kind of spacious..
    sorry I've no more info to offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Thankyou so much to everyone for so much information! I have so much to read and figure out now but at least I have somewhere to start!! I'll update ye with our progress!
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

dublinlady wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm going to need a new car. When my third child is born I'll have a 3 year old and two year old also. I want something that will easily fit three car seats with room in a boot for a buggy and suitcase etc!
    I don't mind how big it is really but would like it to be good looking rather than bus like!

Ahhhhh, Dublin lady congrats! I'm more than happy with 2 so have no advice, but best of luck.

Advertisement