Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has your taste in music changed much over the years?

• 03-01-2015 11:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭

I started listening to dance music in the 90's, that was my first love.
    Then it was trance and hard house.
    Then I went through a heavy metal phase.
    After that it was rap.
    Then indie rock.
    Now I'm back listening to the electronic stuff again. It seems I've gone full circle.

How about you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Listening to a lot of visual kei the last couple of years, so been pretty consistent for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

^^^ I'm guessing when you signed to boards you were a rammstein fan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Used to listen to that "happy hardcore" sheet when it was once popular Scooter and the like *shudder*.

These days mostly New Age like Kitaro, Mike Oldfield, etc. I am on a bit of a Sting and the Police run at the moment. So many hits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Not really, I never had tastes as such, just liked what I liked. Still very much the case today.

It's probably a sad fact of middle age though that you do assign a particular - but not complete - importance to nostalgic music as you get older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I started listening to dance music in the 90's, that was my first love.
    Then it was trance and hard house.
    Then I went through a heavy metal phase.
    After that it was rap.
    Then indie rock.
    Now I'm back listening to the electronic stuff again. It seems I've gone full circle.

How about you?

I'm pretty much the same to be honest! throw in a bit of classical and trad in there too for good measure

• Advertisement

^^^ I'm guessing when you signed to boards you were a rammstein fan?

Still am! :D

I guess I listened to a lot more Neue Deutsche Härte back then, but just not as many bands captured my attention like Rammstein and Oomph! did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Links234 wrote: »
    Still am! :D

I guess I listened to a lot more Neue Deutsche Härte back then, but just not as many bands captured my attention like Rammstein and Oomph! did.

I've only recently started t download some of their songs onto my iphone. Listened to them, slipknot, korn, Metallica etc when I was a first year in school up till I left in '07

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yes in that its broadened - I'm happy to listen to certain acts that I'd not have given much time to 20-30 years ago. Still no to fecking country and Irish though! and anything which involves a white boy/girl warbling with fake "emotion" through autotune.

Still an old school rocker at heart though.

Oh and down with shorts wearing nu-metal.

and X Factor type acts obviously

and Michael Buble style showtunes singers.

I've only recently started t download some of their songs onto my iphone. Listened to them, slipknot, korn, Metallica etc when I was a first year in school up till I left in '07

If you enjoy Rammstein, then Oomph! might be worth a listen to ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I was a music snob ten years ago, still am now, and have no intention of changing that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You had everything you wanted in the early 90's all genres blossomed

we were actually blessed as kids growing up at that time whether you were into one type of music or another,it was all there on the radio from Ebeneezer Goode to Enter Sandman,we just never realised at the time all that would end

what the kids have now is autotuned souless corporate garbage dressed up as a song

thank god for youtube so we can escape it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Exponentially better, gone from liking U2 as a kid in the 80's to hating them and not listening to them ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Started off listening to thrash metal, then into punk and my obsession for american hardcore grew from that.these days I'll listen to practically anything from hip hop to classical but I'll always go back to listening to hardcore it kinda suits me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Ruu wrote: »
    Used to listen to that "happy hardcore" sheet when it was once popular Scooter and the like *shudder*.

These days mostly New Age like Kitaro, Mike Oldfield, etc. I am on a bit of a Sting and the Police run at the moment. So many hits!

Wanna check the microphone, wanna check the microphone, I wana check I wanna check.....

Was good at the time though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

I got a bedside internet radio a few years ago and decided that Classic FM would be peaceful bedtime listening.

Every night at 10 they have their smooth classics section.

I heard music hat I never would have even thought of listening to before. Vaughan Williams for one.

So yes it's true.As you get older you will veer towards the classics and it's a worthwhile journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Used to dislike Country & Irish but now I detest it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Pop-Punk when I was in my early teens

Indie in my late teens.

French electro/disco in my early twenties.

I'm mid-twenties now and listen to all of the above still with some house and hip-hop (Kendrick Lemar, Danny Brown, ASAP Rocky) thrown in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

You had everything you wanted in the early 90's all genres blossomed

we were actually blessed as kids growing up at that time whether you were into one type of music or another,it was all there on the radio from Ebeneezer Goode to Enter Sandman,we just never realised at the time all that would end

what the kids have now is autotuned souless corporate garbage dressed up as a song

thank god for youtube so we can escape it all

Well yeah the X Factor has produced a lot of that crap, but there are some good modern choons now too if you're willing to do a bit of digging. The rock/metal music seems to be dead now. I haven't heard a good rock song in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

dd972 wrote: »
    Exponentially better, gone from liking U2 as a kid in the 80's to hating them and not listening to them ever.

I still listen to the odd U2 song, in the same way I still occasionally listen to Nirvana, R.E.M., Metallica, Alice in Chains, The Doors, Oasis, The Police, The Beatles, etc.

The one genre that I have completely obliterated from my music collection is....<shudder>...Nu Metal.

Korn, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park....dreadful stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Started of with things like The Cars, loved ZZ Top, progressed to the Smiths, The Cure and even was in to wearing bright orange puffa jackets at the odd rave and hoped around to Scooter on many an occasion!! finally found The Doors and from there it branched off in to all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff. Never was in to metal all or traditional stuff really.

Now I listen to classical to relax and unwind but my playlist contains many a gem from all genres including 60's thru to brand new stuff and I even like some of the catchy tunes that are mass produced by all kinds of talentless youngsters these days.

Once its a sing along cathcy tune I will listen but some songs do make the hairs on my skin stand on end and no matter how many tines I hear them they make me fell great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

cml387 wrote: »
    I got a bedside internet radio a few years ago and decided that Classic FM would be peaceful bedtime listening.

Every night at 10 they have their smooth classics section.

I heard music hat I never would have even thought of listening to before. Vaughan Williams for one.

So yes it's true.As you get older you will veer towards the classics and it's a worthwhile journey.

The English pastoral school "the Lark Ascending" etc is something I like when I listen but never think to spend any real time on.

the

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kat97

Completely changed.

Used to only listen to techno/pop music until I was about 15. The top 40 tracks.

Now Ill listen to all kinds of music.

RHCP, Foo Fighters, Green Day, 5sos, Guns n Roses, Coldplay, Bon Jovi, Dire Straits, Kings of Leon, The Police to name but a few!

Quite like the new One Direction album -Four too :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Nope, not really. I always listened to a broad range of music but ultimately have fairly narrow taste. Alternative rock is what I've always loved and always will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Music pretty much stopped for me about 7/8 years ago

Now I'm in a timewarp of classic 70s-early 00s rock, pop and dance. Gotta love mp3s and the Internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Wanna check the microphone, wanna check the microphone, I wana check I wanna check.....

Was good at the time though.

Back in the UK IREEEELAND!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Not really, no. Always liked Indie rock/electronicy kind of music. Only thing that has changed is the fact that I can't listen to half of the miserable **** I did as a teen - can't relate to it at all now I don't feel the whole world is against me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Not really, no. Always liked Indie rock/electronicy kind of music. Only thing that has changed is the fact that I can't listen to half of the miserable **** I did as a teen - can't relate to it at all now I don't feel the whole world is against me.

I've got some good news and some bad news...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I've got some good news and some bad news...

Haha! :)

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Music pretty much stopped for me about 7/8 years ago

Now I'm in a timewarp of classic 70s-early 00s rock, pop and dance. Gotta love mp3s and the Internet

This is me, though every now and again a modern song comes out and I quite like it. Not often though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Growing up in the 80s and 90s I liked Simple Minds, Big Country Gary Moore Bon Jovi Bruce Hornsby Def Leppard. Rock type mostly. All gone by the wayside now. Hardly every hear their music being played now. Liked the dance music at that time too. Within the last 10 years Ive developed a liking for classical music. That and Scottish Pipe Bands. Pipes and drums always make me stop and listen. An off shoot of this would be Saor Patrol Albannach and Clanadonia. Quare names but great stuff. Wouldn't have a clue what's in the charts now. I'd listen to Radio shows at the weekend that play particular genres Electric Disco Friday Night 80s etc.
    X factor The Voice etc have ruined music in my eyes. Artists come and go now like the wind. A few years and they're gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Archeron

Ruu wrote: »

Some of that still holds strong today, take a listen to Wizards of the sonic for the old schooliniess of it and it's still a fcukin deadly song. I am really glad I never sold my old cd collection.

Though I do like a bit of vivaldis four seasons now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Kat97 wrote: »
    Quite like the new One Direction album -Four too :p

I'm ashamed to say I like the new song by Cheryl. It's so horribly catchy.

I don't care
    And it feels so ****ing good to say I swear
    That I don't care
    And everywhere
    There are ordinary hearts that don't play fair
    But I don't care

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I was a teenager in the 90s but almost everything I really like in the last 10 years of my life was from the 60s or 70s. Best era for music by a long way imho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

I myself started out liking chart music, the pop of the 90s, then I got into dance music for a brief period, then liked rap, then I discovered punk rock bands in my teens like Blink 182, Sum 41 and Green Day, then shortly after I got into rock/alternative metal and grunge bands like Staind, System Of A Down, Creed, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, QOTSA, Thin Lizzy around the same time I got into the normal Metal bands like Metallica, Pantera, Sepultura, Megadeth, Down, Machine Head which was also the same time the Nu Metal bands were at their peak which I liked also for example Limp Bizkit, Korn, Slipknot, Linkin Park, P.O.D, Papa Roach, SOAD.

Later on I discovered Blind Guardian, Nevermore, Mastodon, Rodrigo Y Gabriela, Seasick Steve, Them Crooked Vultures, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Evile. Right now I'm stuck in that metal phase because I've gotten used to it and reluctant to change. I tend to like older music better really. I've gotten bored of chart music because a lot of it is pure shyte aimed at teeny boppers. Fed up of all these forgetful X-Factor people too, they have like one album of covers or songs written for them and then they vanish off the face of the Earth after it. The best acts are out there playing and working their arses off in pubs and clubs and they should be discovered instead of these wannabes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Definitely broadened hugely. I'm far more openminded than I was as a teenager. E.g. I wouldn't have dreamed of listening to anything "dad-rock" then, whereas I love lots of that stuff now.
    British 80s/early 90s indie (and its American equivalent to a slightly lesser extent) will always be my first love though.

I've always loved a good pop song too. Never bothered with that thing of hating all pop music when an indie/"alt"-head.

People who claim to stop liking alternative music because it's "hipster" are laughably as insecure as what they're trying to rail against.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I've never really been into music much, mostly it's just background noise for the sake of other people.

But I find as I get older it is starting to annoy me more and more. The only thing I'm happy to listen to these days are certain classical composers.

Advertisement