Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gun limit

Options
  • 04-01-2015 4:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

hi i was wondering is there a limit on how many guns one household can have because my father has four in total two rifles and two shotguns and since i recently turned sixteen i would like to licence one of my fathers shotgun and rifle because i currently have a training licence one 17hmr and one 12 gauge shotgun. so that will leave my father with a .223 rifle and a 12 gauge shotgun and me with a 17 hmr and a 12 gauge shotgun to. but when i get both rifle and shotgun licenced in my name i wish to get a .223 rifle for long range target shooting and fox hunting but i also want to keep the 17 hmr for small game such as rabbits and cans ;) because lets face it a shotgun and 17hmr are ok for foxes at short distances. and ino my father has a .223 but i will be hunting alot with my friend who is 18 and has a .308 with a deer licence witch he uses to hunt deer but bullets are to expensive to be shooting foxes with so im hoping to get a 223 to hunt foxes. i just want to no can you be refused a .223 licence because my father allready has one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

If the new firearms act goes through , yes you will likley be refused a licence for a second .223 in the one house.
    The new guidelines will give sweeping unjust powers to AGS to simply say no if there are a number of the same calibers in your district dont mind your house

• Registered Users Posts: 14 theinkypen

and just say you got a licence before this new law comes and then you have your gun and licence when the law is out would they take your gun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

The chances of getting a .223 licenced before the new fireaems act is pretty slim, and either way you will need fairly beefed up security arrangements for that amount of firearms

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If the new firearms act goes through , yes you will likley be refused a licence for a second .223 in the one house.
    There is no new firearms Act. There are a set of proposals from An Gardaí that is currently being debated. It is anywhere from 9 - 12 months away from being anything close to an act. As such the law as it is can be the only law the Gardaí apply.

With that in mind you want to license your Father's guns? This should be the easiest way, especially if you have a training license on two of them already.

You fill out the FCA1 as you done before. In the box where it asks have you held a license for these guns in the previous 3 years you tick yes, and supply your training license number. You fill in the rest and in section 4.2 you enter your Father's license number. Then fill in the rest as normal.

On a separate sheet of paper you explain that you held a training license on these guns and are seeking a full license for them now. You also get a letter from your Father to say you have his permission to use/license his firearms, and they will continue to be stored at his address.

You have everything in your favour, and the above extends to his other guns including the .223. You are not seeking a new gun or gun of your own, just the licenses to use a gun that is already "in circulation". I would license the two you have training certs for first, then look to the .223 and others down the road.

However as there is no time limit on how often and no limit of how many you can have it's up to yourself how often you apply for the licenses.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 14 theinkypen

yes at the moment we have a fairly big foom made from 5" steel with an alarm system in it. and yes hopfully the new firearms act doesent come through. and before it does i supose there is no harm in trying to get a licence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

And just on a technical point, there's nothing in the Firearms Act, never has been anything in the Firearms Act and won't be anything in the Firearms Act even if these proposals go through that imposes any kind of statutory limit on the number of firearms held. It's just never been a problem, ever. There are higher minimum levels of security for people who have more firearms, but there's no ban on them having them.

The problem is that the Gardai are seeking more grounds to refuse applications, and one of those is literally that allowing you to buy a firearm might increase the number of firearms in their district (which is logically a blanket ban which is really being cheeky to the Supreme Court). It's quite a silly proposal.

But for right now, no, none of that's a problem. Not yet, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

You would wonder too why they need this extra power now. When considering it has been there since 1925.??
    States quite clearly in the 1925 act that a super or cheif or comissioner (?)can declare an area unliscenseable and recisnd all licences in that district.
    Whether this is too draconian or they have forgotton that it exists is debateable.Does anyone know has this legislation as it stands ever been used?And if it has never been used in the States history why must it be expanded on in 2015 ??Another of the 100questions methinks...

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    States quite clearly in the 1925 act that a super or cheif or comissioner (?)can declare an area unliscenseable and recisnd all licences in that district.
    Where's that bit?

Advertisement