Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to zero my first .22 safely?

Options
  • 04-01-2015 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I just bought my first gun its CZ 452 wmr i got it to shoot rabbits, I was going to zero my gun in a field where there is a steep enough hill it gradually reaches about 50ft-60ft is it good enough backstop, i will aiming at the bottom of the hill, there is a house about 800 yards away from top off the hill is this a dangerous spot to be zeroing in is there a possibility of ricohet is it too close to the house. Just looking for advice rather be safe then sorry. also what distance should i be zeroing it for. Should i find a better spot to be zeroing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭LikeTheseOdds

Are you near a range that offers benchrest? You could prop it upon sandbags and boresight it there if it was possible. I'm sure there would be no problem there.

Unless you're 100% confident in the backstop I wouldn't take the risk. .22 is dangerous out to 1.5km according to the boxes. AFAIK it's also a grey area under the law because it's target shooting which you shouldn't do anywhere but a range but it's overlooked with safety in mind. This is the sort of law they should be fixing with the review... So yeah, if you're not confident in the backstop, look for another spot or head on over to a range and sight it there.

Best of luck with the new rifle! Hear good things about the cz!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 400rr

Thanks for your advice... I don't think there is any range near me I'm close to Waterford city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Where in Waterford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

I Like to zero at 50ya, shooting out to about 125ya. I bought a scope with 22lr calibrated reticle to minimize hold-over guesswork.

From what you have said, it sounds as if you should be fine. The lawyer-proof boxes of 22lr ammo often state a lethal range of 1.5miles.

Just shoot through paper into the soft ground and avoid areas of rocks or other possible sources of ricochets. If you are shooting down an incline, even better.

If you want to hear the ping of plinking, get a proper target that angles down in to the ground.

Chiparus wrote: »
    Where in Waterford?

10 mins out off town, south Kilkenny direction.

• Advertisement

FISMA wrote: »
    I Like to zero at 50ya, shooting out to about 125ya. I bought a scope with 22lr calibrated reticle to minimize hold-over guesswork.

From what you have said, it sounds as if you should be fine. The lawyer-proof boxes of 22lr ammo often state a lethal range of 1.5miles.

Just shoot through paper into the soft ground and avoid areas of rocks or other possible sources of ricochets. If you are shooting down an incline, even better.

If you want to hear the ping of plinking, get a proper target that angles down in to the ground.

Thanks for the advice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

400rr wrote: »
    10 mins out off town, south Kilkenny direction.

Are you far from Athy? Great craic at the Harbour House.

FISMA wrote: »
    Are you far from Athy? Great craic at the Harbour House.

A hour drive its not too far.How much does it cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

membership is areund 350 a year or so butyoucn go as a guest and zero afaik

Advertisement