Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current vs Available Balance- Very Confused?

Options
  • 04-01-2015 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

So my current account balance has a negative figure, but above it it says I have a positive available balance! I'm very confused, so will my current balance update to the positive figure?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Do you have an overdraft?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Available balance can be higher than acc balance or a cheque waiting to clear into your account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

All the transactions processed on my account add up to the negative balance

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Are you due to get paid on monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

haro124 wrote: »
    So my current account balance has a negative figure, but above it it says I have a positive available balance! I'm very confused, so will my current balance update to the positive figure?

The difference is pending transactions which are in between trade date (the day the transaction took place) and settlement date (the day the cash will move).

Examples include ATM transactions, point of sale transactions, cheques, online transactions and sometimes inward deposits such as wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Some direct debits can be pending in the system for several days. A while back I asked Bord Gais to change the bank account they used for my direct debit, they wrote back to acknowledge the change and a few days later they took the money - from the old account!

Advertisement