Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insert stove advice

• 04-01-2015 12:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi all .
    At present have a free standing stove in kitchen / dinning room which is great for heat . Now I want to put a insert one into living room which is North facing and have narrowed it down to Henley achill & stanley cars. Just wondering which is the best as both shops are saying there's the best so have any of you guys any feedback of which one to go for & do I need to line the chimney which is a clay one. Both shops are saying I dont . Thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

They will both do the same job and are equally good on quality.
    Go for which ever works out best financially as that is really the only difference between them.
    As for the flexi liner,it's on a case by case basis really.
    If you explained your scenario to the retailer and he advised no then you should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Forever21

Sanchez83 wrote: »
    They will both do the same job and are equally good on quality.
    Go for which ever works out best financially as that is really the only difference between them.
    As for the flexi liner,it's on a case by case basis really.
    If you explained your scenario to the retailer and he advised no then you should be fine.

Thanks for that. Think it will be the Henley achill as I've to change the granite back & hearth as there's no joint in it & the shop said it'll crack from the heat but I can keep the surround as its stone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

There is a body of considered opinion out there that suggests it is best practice that:
    a: the flue diameter is the same all the way up.
    b: flues that worked fine for open fires may not work for the higher temps of the stoves.
    c: flues that are lined should be backfilled with vermiculite between the liner and the original.
    d: flues need to be inspected before stove is fitted.

I don't know what OP means by a clay chimney.
    Retailer not in a position to advise without having a proper survey done of both the chimney and the house. This survey, which costa about 100 euro will also include advice on how many CO alarms are required and where.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

There is a body of considered opinion out there that suggests it is best practice that:
    a: the flue diameter is the same all the way up.
    b: flues that worked fine for open fires may not work for the higher temps of the stoves.
    c: flues that are lined should be backfilled with vermiculite between the liner and the original.
    d: flues need to be inspected before stove is fitted.

I don't know what OP means by a clay chimney.
    Retailer not in a position to advise without having a proper survey done of both the chimney and the house. This survey, which costa about 100 euro will also include advice on how many CO alarms are required and where.

I ment a terracotta clay lined chimney. The house is 15yrs old & the shop sent a man out to look at it & he said the chimney was very good & only needed an adapter to fit the insert to the chimney. I don't know anything about stoves or chimneys so that's why I was looking for advice. I ha a free standing one in the kitchen & that's working perfectly & that one is lined as I originally had backboiler in the fire there. I've a co alarm in the kitchen where the stove is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Then I think you have answered your own question! Line it.
    The other thing about the adapter is that with an insert, the brush must go up through the stove so if the stove dia is 125 and the terracotta flue is 200 or 225 them it will be tough to brush it correctly.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

Then I think you have answered your own question! Line it.
    The other thing about the adapter is that with an insert, the brush must go up through the stove so if the stove dia is 125 and the terracotta flue is 200 or 225 them it will be tough to brush it correctly.

Thanks for the advice. will definitely line it after that advice. It's great to have the people like you on here for people like myself who knows nothing about these things

Advertisement