Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax query working for Irish company while living in Basque Country

Options
  • 04-01-2015 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi,

I am currently working for a Irish Software Company in Ireland but I am debating about moving moving to the Basque Country(Not related to the Company but purely for personal reasons).
    The company has agreed for me to continue to work for them If I move over there.
    I was wondering has anyone any experience on how income tax etc works in this case? Do I still get taxed using Irish Tax laws or do I need to get my wages paid into a Spanish bank account(I assume I will need to register for "Autonomo" or something similar to been self employed).

Hopefully my question is not to vague!!

Thanks for any help on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

dodgystats wrote: »
    Hi,

I am currently working for a Irish Software Company in Ireland but I am debating about moving moving to the Basque Country(Not related to the Company but purely for personal reasons).
    The company has agreed for me to continue to work for them If I move over there.
    I was wondering has anyone any experience on how income tax etc works in this case? Do I still get taxed using Irish Tax laws or do I need to get my wages paid into a Spanish bank account(I assume I will need to register for "Autonomo" or something similar to been self employed).

Hopefully my question is not to vague!!

Thanks for any help on this.

It's a bit of a minefield and it depends how you explain it to the Tax/Social Security Authorities.

If you starting mentioning working from home etc, they will start asking questions about what market you work in and so on.

It's better to say you are a Cross Border Worker:
    http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/taxation/personal_tax/crossborder_workers/index_en.htm

I.E. you live in Spain and work in Ireland.

For this purpose you pay all of your income taxes in Ireland and other taxes in Spain (e.g. Property Taxes and so on)

For Health Cover you need to apply for the S1 Form:
    http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/work/social-security-forms/index_en.htm

This way it stays quite simple, just do a return each year in each country, as long as you do 100% of your work in Ireland and don't do any work in Spain (not for tax reasons but it may have social security implications)

If you are married this can become more complicated and I would recommend you talk to a tax consultant (Actually its probably best to do this anyway)

Working remotely 100% of the time for a company in another EU state that you are not resident in can be a problem:
    http://www.fieldfisher.com/publications/2012/06/international-cross-border-tele-working-beware#sthash.oRwExrIs.dpbs

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭dodgystats

Hi Keith,

Thanks very much for your reply, its very helpful. I think you are right when you suggest to talk to a tax consultant which is what I think I will do.

Thanks again,

Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 22,770 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

More relevant to Taxation than Living Abroad.

Moved.

tHB

Advertisement