Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lots of iphone users dont use Mac

Options
  • 04-01-2015 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Is it true to say that the majority of iPhone ios users would use Windows laptops..
    For the last two years I have been using a windows phone lumia920 running windows 8.1.
    It works in harmony with my windows 8.1 laptop..

Do lots of people who use iPhone end up using mac computers as they link up well together?

Or is it just the OCD in me...

I quite like the new iPhone 6, in fact its the first iPhone that I have liked, probably because of the larger 4.7 inch screen...

However I think I would miss the partnership between phone and laptop OS...

So do plenty of iPhone users still use windows OS on their laptops?

Note: I used to own a MacBook a few years ago but moved back to windows as I loved the windows8 then 8.1 platform...
    Coincidently I used an Android phone then too...
    I have an Android work phone, but not a fan...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dublinercheese

kevmc1180 wrote: »
    Is it true to say that the majority of iPhone ios users would use Windows laptops..
    For the last two years I have been using a windows phone lumia920 running windows 8.1.
    It works in harmony with my windows 8.1 laptop..

Do lots of people who use iPhone end up using mac computers as they link up well together?

Or is it just the OCD in me...

I quite like the new iPhone 6, in fact its the first iPhone that I have liked, probably because of the larger 4.7 inch screen...

However I think I would miss the partnership between phone and laptop OS...

So do plenty of iPhone users still use windows OS on their laptops?

Note: I used to own a MacBook a few years ago but moved back to windows as I loved the windows8 then 8.1 platform...
    Coincidently I used an Android phone then too...
    I have an Android work phone, but not a fan...

I don't know if the majority of iPhone users are Mac users. You could look at the number of Mac computers sold and cross reference with iPhones sold. iPhones out number Mac sales, so it's probably a mix of Windows and Mac users. I'm too lazy to look these figures up, so I'll let you take that on :)

I really enjoy the paring of my iPhone and Mac. The handoff/continuum feature is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes, I would imagine the vast majority of iPhone users use Windows.

Most people aren't really that concerned with linking up their phone and their computer. How many times have you seen a sob story on facebook about someone whose phone was stolen and all of their photos of their dead dog gone? So if people don't really care about the basic stuff like backing up their device, then the synchronicity of their computer and their phone matters little to them.

I would imagine it's pretty rare to find a Mac enthusiast who uses an android or windows phone, but the opposite wouldn't be true. The functionality in iTunes is more than enough for most people, especially as so many home media devices now come with iTunes server out of the box, they see no need to ensure their laptop/desktop matches their phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Julabo

I am a Mac person who does not use an iPhone!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dublinercheese

seamus wrote: »
    Yes, I would imagine the vast majority of iPhone users use Windows.

Most people aren't really that concerned with linking up their phone and their computer. How many times have you seen a sob story on facebook about someone whose phone was stolen and all of their photos of their dead dog gone? So if people don't really care about the basic stuff like backing up their device, then the synchronicity of their computer and their phone matters little to them.

You should really try the new handoff/continuity features of iOS 8 and OS 10.10x (Yosemite). It's really fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Integration with a Mac is definitely nice but some of it depends on you using iCloud as well - one more step into the Apple ecosystem (I personally don't mind but do understand if some people do - it is better integrated than most other solutions but also definitely less open to products from other manufacturers).
    Also agreed Apple did a pretty good job with handoff/continuity. I especially like getting my text messages directly on the computer when using my MacBook Pro.

Having said that, I was a Mac user before being an iPhone one, and I have plenty of other reasons for it. If I was more of a Windows person, I don't think I would switch to a Mac just for iPhone integration.

Lastly another way to look at it is that probably over 90% of smartphone users would be using either an Android phone with a Mac/Windows PC, or an iPhone with a Windows PC.

People using the same platform on both their mobile phone and their computer are a minority.

• Advertisement
Advertisement