Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communion Dresses - Where to go?

Options
  • 04-01-2015 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Where is the best place to go for communion dresses in Dublin? Seems like such a hot debate at the moment, and that some parents pay outrageous prices for a dress. I am looking for reasonably priced but special at the same time, and we are not a fan of lots of bling and ruffles...

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

My niece got a lovely simple dress in Monsoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

TK Maxx had a great selection last year, as did M&S

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Dunnes always seem to have lovely white communion style dresses and wraps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lizzykc85

Thanks I will try all the suggestions. I heard that Marian Gayles had dresses for €650! Is that normal? This is my first experience. I saw a new shop in Dun Laoghaire so I will check that out too.

• Administrators Posts: 14,035 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I got a dress in Debenhams at the weekend. I wasn't planning on buying one yet and certainly was thinking I'd go slightly further afield than Debenhams. But herself spotted one, asked could she try it on and it was beautiful. I did ask her a few times if she wanted to try on other dresses in other shops, but she was adamant that she wanted that one.

It was €35. Down from €117. :D

I know someone who has paid €300 for one, and I know a local shop here has ones in stock for up to €600!!

I might slightly alter the one we got, maybe sew on a sparkle or 2, and I might make an underskirt for it to give it a bit more body, but even if I do nothing to it, it is beautiful on her.

• Advertisement

Wow that was a bargain. I mean I really don't mind paying €100-€150 but anything more than that just seems crazy to me. Can't wait to bring my little girl Saoirse shopping, she is really looking forward to it but I want to avoid bringing her places that will have that type if price point so she doesn't get disappointed when I say no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I made my daughter's from off cuts from my wedding dress. It was beautiful but the experience was fairly stressful- I was up til 1am the night before sewing on seed pearls and on the way into the car she stood on the end and ripped the skirt away from the bodice! Luckily it was on a seam and I sewed it up quickly. It didn't cost anything at all apart from my labor, and nerves!

You should go around yourself first and scope out a few places. You won't feel pressured into buying anything because you won't have the lady of the moment with you, so no pressure from the sales assistant and no pressure from your daughter.

Then you'll know what places to avoid when you do have her with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Debenhams, Marks and Spencers, Dunnes Stores and TK Maxx are worth a look. Sometimes it is worth looking in the sales in Bridal Shops, my friend got a beautiful dress in a Bridal shop for her daughter, it was a reduced price flower girls outfit.

Normally (but not always) the chain stores are cheaper than the individual shops. I would suggest you go around on your own first and take note of the shops that have suitable dresses before you bring your daughter.

Miaireland wrote: »
    Debenhams, Marks and Spencers, Dunnes Stores and TK Maxx are worth a look. Sometimes it is worth looking in the sales in Bridal Shops, my friend got a beautiful dress in a Bridal shop for her daughter, it was a reduced price flower girls outfit.

Normally (but not always) the chain stores are cheaper than the individual shops. I would suggest you go around on your own first and take note of the shops that have suitable dresses before you bring your daughter.

Thanks, yeah I guess they would be cheaper in a chain being mass produced. I like the idea of finding something and perhaps adding a detail or two to it.

• Advertisement

You should go around yourself first and scope out a few places. You won't feel pressured into buying anything because you won't have the lady of the moment with you, so no pressure from the sales assistant and no pressure from your daughter.

Then you'll know what places to avoid when you do have her with you!

Nothing worse than a pushy sales assistant! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Totally separate but I was in Newry at the weekend and in a shop called mcevoys. Shopping for christening gown. They Had a decent stock of dresses. And I wouldn't say be too expensive. They have a website. Only hrs drive from dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

May's Occasions is just new open in Dun Laoghaire.

Dresses priced mostly in that 100 to 150 price range, yet aren't going to be in danger of similar/same dress as someone else in the class ala Dunnes/Debenhams etc.

www.maysoccasions.ie

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Also worth mentioning that Barnardos have NEW dresses in some of their branches,for a fraction of what you'd pay elsewhere. http://www.barnardos.ie/bridal/contact.html
    https://www.facebook.com/barnardosbridalrooms

...danger of similar/same dress as someone else in the class ala Dunnes/Debenhams etc.

To be honest, there's only a few "in fashion" styles of dress, so realistically every year many of the dresses are just different variations of similar types. And to be really honest, nobody is all that interested in anyone but their own! Unless they were 2 very distinctive dresses I don't think I'd notice if 2 girls were wearing the same... They all look pretty similar anyway!

One year 2 of my friends ended up with the same dress out of a communion shop. Their main problem was the €50 price difference on the same dress from the same sales person!

Different parasol / bag / shoes / shawl and you're sorted!

No parasol!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,384 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Keep an eye on local facebook groups, local newpapers etc for people selling their communion dresses (well their child's one anyway!) Communion outfits are barely even worn for a day. My son wore his suit the day of Communion and another morning for school photos. Neighbour's child changed out of her dress on the afternoon of the communion cos they were having a party at the house and was better able to running about in normal clothes!

Different parasol / bag / shoes / shawl and you're sorted!
    Oh please no parasol or shawl, they are not needed and get in the way during the ceremony.

I'm not recommending them (my kids won't, in fact, be making their communion).

My point is that you can personalise the look according to the child so don't worry about matching dresses.

• Advertisement

Thanks we are going to May's Occasions on Saturday, they seem to have a good selection on their website and lots of accessories too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 LadyZ

Due to the nature of this discussion, I hope it's ok to ask a question. I handmake lollipops for different occasions - a small business run from home. My most popular designs are the Communion ones. I would like to be able to advertise them but I havent a clue where to advertise. As you all seem to be celebrating Communions can you tell me where you would go to look for such favous/accessories? Any help/feedback would be gratefully appreciated.

LadyZ wrote: »
    Due to the nature of this discussion, I hope it's ok to ask a question. I handmake lollipops for different occasions - a small business run from home. My most popular designs are the Communion ones. I would like to be able to advertise them but I havent a clue where to advertise. As you all seem to be celebrating Communions can you tell me where you would go to look for such favous/accessories? Any help/feedback would be gratefully appreciated.

Maybe if you have business cards the communion shops would let you leave them at their tills. Facebook pages are great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 LadyZ

Thanks Lizzykc85. I have a Facebook page, that's where I get most of my business at the moment. Never thought of putting business cards in the shops though, definitely worth a try - thanks!

Advertisement