Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awesome Games Done Quick 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

These are generally savage. Watched one where they 100%-ed Super Meat Boy in a few hours (yes, including The Kid's levels); kinda talent that should be professionalized.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

All proceeds going to Prevent Cancer Foundation!

27 mins in on Donkey Kong Country : Tropical Freeze,

$10,152 raised already.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I watch these speed-running mega marathons all the time, there's something extraordinarily compelling about them. It's like the perfect way to show off nerds at their finest doing what they love for a great cause :) It's always the worst time of year for my wallet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I watched a few of them last time. I was particularly interested in some of the C64 ones that they did - some extraordinarily difficult games that they flew through. I suppose they had the most of 30 years to practice.

What was most impressive was the guy who did the Lost Vikings controlling the three characters with two controllers. Some of those levels are very difficult to get right and he flew through them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd never watch these streams until one poster on here pointed me towards the F-Zero GX stream from a while ago and I saw what I was missing. I'll definitely be tuning in.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd never watch these streams until one poster on here pointed me towards the F-Zero GX stream from a while ago and I saw what I was missing. I'll definitely be tuning in.

I was the same, even with Twitch people say "but you watch games, why not play them". Im an average gamer, i enjoy seeing people ace the games.

5 January 2015 19:50:00 F-Zero GX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

THIS RIGHT HERE :eek::eek::eek:

20mins onwards

Yea, the TASBot stuff was amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I don't get it

No Signal
    Dies on 1st Gomba
    No Signal
    Glitch Texy

Keep watching... It's when Pokemon Red on Super Gameboy comes out that you'll go "OK, that's impressive" (as if rewriting one flavour of Mario to play a completely different Mario wasn't impressive enough)

• Advertisement

Crazy tasbot stuff alright !

I find myself watching games i wouldn't normally know about.

Donations at $141,000

Cormac... wrote: »
    I don't get it

No Signal
    Dies on 1st Gomba
    No Signal
    Glitch Texy
    You didn't watch it! They reprogrammed the Super Mario Bros NES code - into Super Mario World SNES - in realtime with just controller input! The whole process before is to trick the game into accessing certain memory values and moving them into places they shouldn't be.

The Pokemon Plays Twitch exploit was a whole other ballgame. Jaw dropped seeing it live.

$14,000 donation :O

F-Zero-a-thon is on now.

That pokemon thing was mind boggling

How come it says $171k in fundraising total but they announced $250k as the total?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Watching this makes me realise I'd suck for F-zero WiiU.

eddhorse wrote: »
    How come it says $171k in fundraising total but they announced $250k as the total?
    They get a portion from Humble Bundle sales too - the current bundle is supporting PFC.

Watching this makes me realise I'd suck for F-zero WiiU.

I see why you like F-Zero, havent played it that much, but its interesting to watch, my eyes are bleeding.

I see why you like F-Zero, havent played it that much, but its interesting to watch, my eyes are bleeding.

With no hyperbole I can pretty much say it's the greatest racing game ever made. And yes better than F-zero X you N64 fanboys! :)

The controls are just perfect and the feeling of nailing a turn a stupid speeds has never been better. Also when people wonder what the love child of Nintendo and Sega would be we already have the answer: F-Zero GX!

Video on Demand Links in original post for videos you missed.

Video on Demand Links in original post for videos you missed.

Thanks, want to check out the Gunstar Heroes and Rocket Knight Adventures runs. I think I'm pretty damn good at those games so want to see how far I really have to go :)

• Advertisement

With no hyperbole I can pretty much say it's the greatest racing game ever made. And yes better than F-zero X you N64 fanboys! :)

The controls are just perfect and the feeling of nailing a turn a stupid speeds has never been better. Also when people wonder what the love child of Nintendo and Sega would be we already have the answer: F-Zero GX!
    Agreed on F-Zero and Maximum Velocity - the turning in that game is just beautiful, no game matches that gliding feeling while keeping a super sharp edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

J_E wrote: »
    You didn't watch it! They reprogrammed the Super Mario Bros NES code - into Super Mario World SNES - in realtime with just controller input! The whole process before is to trick the game into accessing certain memory values and moving them into places they shouldn't be.

The Pokemon Plays Twitch exploit was a whole other ballgame. Jaw dropped seeing it live.

Sooooooooooo..... It's more Awesome Coding/Hacks done fast, I saw very little gamplay.... gameplay to me means playing a game, not doing some hacking/coding, but each to their own.

I was expecting speed runs, what I got was a wall of 8+16 bit text

Sooooooooooo..... It's more Awesome Coding/Hacks done fast, I saw very little gamplay.... gameplay to me means playing a game, not doing some hacking/coding, but each to their own.

There are speed runs, watched Quake II last night, Duke Nukem 3D and Blood.

DKC Tropical Freeze was the best speed run so far, the mario ones are generally the best to watch for accuracy i find.

Thanks, want to check out the Gunstar Heroes and Rocket Knight Adventures runs. I think I'm pretty damn good at those games so want to see how far I really have to go :)

I watched Rocket Knight Adventures, looks like another good game that i missed from my youth.

One WR so far with inFamous.

I watched Rocket Knight Adventures, looks like another good game that i missed from my youth.

It's the second best Megadrive game ever made (according to me and behind Gunstar Heroes). It's a great game but the charming art style hides a rock hard game, it's made by the team that usually makes Contra games for Konami. Definitely worth trying though just for the sheer variety of gameplay the developers put into each section and boss, no two sections play the same despite the mechanics remaining the same throughout.

Damn missed all the 8bit stuff since I was in work. Would love to have seen the Gimmick! run since even beating that game is an achievement (and the music is awesome).

Damn missed all the 8bit stuff since I was in work. Would love to have seen the Gimmick! run since even beating that game is an achievement (and the music is awesome).

Just saw the "N" run, 19:38 or something. Love that game.

I remember playing commander keen years ago, pretty hard as i remember.

Least you can look back at the 8bit stuff at your leisure.

Wow, witwix just got through I Wanna Be The Boshy in 1:02 (I think - it was only just over an hour) and only 101 deaths. That was impressive.

Zelda fans, the first and second games are about to start, so enjoy: http://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

Unappreciative much! That segment is always more to show off achievements than complete the game .

• Advertisement

The DKC2 and Mario stuff last night was very impressive.

Advertisement