Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awesome Games Done Quick 2015

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I find Kingdom Hearts far more appealing than the borefest that is Final Fantasy :p;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Shiminay wrote: »
    I find Kingdom Hearts far more appealing than the borefest that is Final Fantasy :p;)

Said like someone that's only played five minutes of a Final Fantasy game.

In my defence, I spent 3 hours on FF7 back in the day when it first came out on PC (complete with upside-down and inverted video FMV's which I could just watch by opening the game directory in Windows). It's the combat, it just kills me with how fking boring it is. I'm a twitch FPS gamer at heart, there was nothing but frustration and boredom in FF7 and the story was too nonsensical to hold my attention.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Shiminay wrote: »
    In my defence, I spent 3 hours on FF7 back in the day when it first came out on PC (complete with upside-down and inverted video FMV's which I could just watch by opening the game directory in Windows). It's the combat, it just kills me with how fking boring it is. I'm a twitch FPS gamer at heart, there was nothing but frustration and boredom in FF7 and the story was too nonsensical to hold my attention.

FFVII is probably one of the worst in the series. The battle system is really slow and running at 15 FPS doesn't help there either. As for the story being nonsensical... well can't really fault you there either. There's a lot better in the series but really Final Fantasy is kind of weird, the battle systems are usually average or dull while tinkering with the systems behind it is tonnes of fun, although FFVII hasn't interesting systems either. The series reinvents itself with each iteration so it's always different from sequel to sequel.

FF isn't close to the best JRPGs have to offer. Something like Shin Megami Tensei and it's Persona series would be a better representation of all that's good with JRPGs. Although if you want something stupidly fast and twitch, action RPGs (or games in general) don't come much faster than the Ys games, some of which are available on Steam.

This chap's one-handed run through of Vanquish is impressive. All the better cause he's holding hands with another lad thanks to donations :D

• Advertisement

FFVII later on might be a good one. The PC version is apparently broken like crazy which seems to make for the best speed runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Kingdom hearts was too long for me. Games done quick, may be 4.5 hours.

Goldeneye warm up at the moment, 4 guys looking quite impressive.

Will have to look at that later, only 30 mins estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Some of those games are just crazy.

The Tetris one was mad, especially playing with invisible blocks through the credits

Yea, the Tetris was simply astonishing.

• Advertisement

Dark souls 2 was impressive as well.
    Noobest has that genre wrapped up.

The Super Metroid run is an example or why it's the greatest game ever made. It's a great game your first time through but the second time when you realise all the abilities you actually had at the start of the game but didn't know, it's time to have fun experimenting. The game designers purposefully designed the game with sequence breaking and speed running in mind and its a testament to their skill that the speed runs don't involve any glitches just manipulations of the games physics and rules to run them. It's just purely based on skill.

It was a thing of beauty to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

Anybody catch the couple getting married? Couldn't believe I caught this live as I couldn't really care less about the game!

N64 wrote: »
    Anybody catch the couple getting married? Couldn't believe I caught this live as I couldn't really care less about the game!

Yeah i saw that too, the following minutes after that though was really awkward and cringey !

N64 wrote: »

Someone with a username of N64 doesn't care about the awesome Mischief Makers? You're doing it wrong.

So it's over now. 1.5 million raised I think I heard.After a year of fanboy console wars and Gamergate showing the absolute worst of the videogame community it's great to start this one on such a high.

So the final total on the tracker was just over $1,115000 raised for The Prevent Cancer foundation.

However there was a bug with the tracker so it should be near to $1.5 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Just watched some of the Final Fantasy 7 run there, completely underwhelmed.
    "Ok...here I am now using another glitch to skip another 3-5 hours of the game" .....

Compared to the likes of Battletoad, Metroid, Dark Souls 2 where it relied on pure skill and knowledge of the levels and game........the FF7 run was boring and disappointing

Glad the whole event made the money it needed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Just watched some of the Final Fantasy 7 run there, completely underwhelmed.
    "Ok...here I am now using another glitch to skip another 3-5 hours of the game" .....

Compared to the likes of Battletoad, Metroid, Dark Souls 2 where it relied on pure skill and knowledge of the levels and game........the FF7 run was boring and disappointing

Glad the whole event made the money it needed though.

Yeah it was pretty bad. Run away from encounters for the first half of the run, spam grenades on bosses, then glitch to the end of the game. I guess that's the reason it isn't one of the more popular Speed Running Final Fantasy games.

eddhorse wrote: »
    So the final total on the tracker was just over raised for The Prevent Cancer foundation.

However there was a bug with the tracker so it should be near to million.

And the tracker on the page doesn't include the donations via Twitch subs, HumbleBundle sales and the tshirt sales I think. Bonus games on now, the ticker says $1.342m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

Crazy guys, that Pokemon stuff was great!

Advertisement