Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Funny clicking sound off front wheel - only when I'm on the bike

• 04-01-2015 5:13pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've noticed a funny clicking sound from my front wheel when I'm out cycling. It's not regular though and only happens when I'm on the bike, or up on the handlebars i.e. when I get off the bike and spin the wheel it's fine.

I'm guessing it's to do with the spokes so.

There are no major loose or tight ones. There are two spokes that cross each other that when I pinch make a sound.

I'm guessing I should tighten these so.

The wheel doesn't need truing though so if I tighten these will it mess the whole wheel up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Spokes usually "ping" rather than click.

Unfortunately this could be one of a million things, from your bottom bracket to your headset to your seat or handlebars. First things first, check around all clamps and joins on the bike, looking for cracks or stress bulges. These often begin to "click" after the initial crack appears. Assuming that's clear, then you'll have to google it.

A clicking bike is a bit like the hiccups - everyone claims to have a foolproof method of solving them, but the same solution never works for anyone else...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's like this sound though no where near as frequent or loud

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

seamus wrote: »
    Spokes usually "ping" rather than click.

Unfortunately this could be one of a million things, from your bottom bracket to your headset to your seat or handlebars. First things first, check around all clamps and joins on the bike, looking for cracks or stress bulges. These often begin to "click" after the initial crack appears. Assuming that's clear, then you'll have to google it.

A clicking bike is a bit like the hiccups - everyone claims to have a foolproof method of solving them, but the same solution never works for anyone else...

I tightened up two spokes and it seems to have removed the sound.

Does anyone know how you can find the correct tightness for your spokes though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭G1032

Sorry to hijack but I have a clicking/possible rubbing/hard to describe sound from back wheel(i think)?????

It's only a brand new wheel I got as a Xmas pressie.
    Only when under heavy load there is this click when the load is going through the drive train side pedal.

I've swapped the pedal. Sound remains.
    I've adjusted front derailleur for a test so that there is no possible way the chain could rub off it. Sound remains.
    I've changed cassettes. Sound remains.
    It doesn't seem like there is any play in the crack.

But the sound doesn't seem to happen when I put the old wheel back on.
    I guess it's a wheel/hub issue but how could that be on a new wheel???? I'm not even certain the sound is coming from the wheel but it's very hard to hear where it's coming from. Sometimes it sounds like chain rub off the front derailluer except a little sharper than that sound.

When on the flat or light load everything is as smooth as silk??

Any ideas from anyone what this could be? It's driving me nuts and I've been investigating this for hours today.

If I get no ideas from here I'll bring it along to the LBS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Check your quick release springs. Be sure that the narrow end of the spring is facing inward (towards the centre of the bike).

• Advertisement

crosstownk wrote: »
    Check your quick release springs. Be sure that the narrow end of the spring is facing inward (towards the centre of the bike).

Yup. Checked that and they're right way around! Another thing to cross off the list!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

If you've got a turbo, check if you can replicate the problem while on the turbo. If so, get someone else to ride it while you go looking for the source of the sound. I also find a bit of grease on the dropouts clears a fair number of these issues.

smacl wrote: »
    If you've got a turbo, check if you can replicate the problem while on the turbo. If so, get someone else to ride it while you go looking for the source of the sound. I also find a bit of grease on the dropouts clears a fair number of these issues.

Thanks. I'll try these suggestions tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It's like this sound though no where near as frequent or loud
    Obvious suggestion - is there anything which might be hitting the spokes - a bit of a cable tie, or a speedometer sensor or something? (Check the back wheel too)
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    I tightened up two spokes and it seems to have removed the sound.

Does anyone know how you can find the correct tightness for your spokes though?
    You need a tension meter to find the "correct" tightness for your spokes. In general don't mess with your spokes unless you know what you're doing :)

G1032 wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack but I have a clicking/possible rubbing/hard to describe sound from back wheel(i think)?????

It's only a brand new wheel I got as a Xmas pressie.
    Only when under heavy load there is this click when the load is going through the drive train side pedal.

I've swapped the pedal. Sound remains.
    I've adjusted front derailleur for a test so that there is no possible way the chain could rub off it. Sound remains.
    I've changed cassettes. Sound remains.
    It doesn't seem like there is any play in the crack.

But the sound doesn't seem to happen when I put the old wheel back on.
    I guess it's a wheel/hub issue but how could that be on a new wheel???? I'm not even certain the sound is coming from the wheel but it's very hard to hear where it's coming from. Sometimes it sounds like chain rub off the front derailluer except a little sharper than that sound.

When on the flat or light load everything is as smooth as silk??

Any ideas from anyone what this could be? It's driving me nuts and I've been investigating this for hours today.

If I get no ideas from here I'll bring it along to the LBS.

So this was a very simple fix in the end.

Brought it to my local (ish) bike shop and told them what investigations I had done. They said it was most likely the BB that needed replacing. I gave them the go ahead to put an Ultegra BB in for me.
    Chain had also snapped on me the day before and it bent / damaged the front derailleur in the process. So I also gave them the go ahead to replace the front derailleur if it couldn't be repaired. I was expecting a nice bill to be honest but I didn't care if it meant that the bike was fixed and that grating/chain rub noise was gone.

Called in to them yesterday evening and all was fixed.
    No new bottom bracket needed. They inspected exist one and it was fine.
    No new derailleur needed. They repaired it.
    New rear gear cables put in too since the end of the other one was frayed.
    New 105 chain installed.
    Replaced inline barrel adjuster for front derailleur too because that had seized on me.
    Gears all properly indexed and brakes adjusted.
    And they fixed the grating/chain rub sound.
    The fix was to remove the 1mm spacer that I had installed according to Shimano instructions. He said that the 1mm spacer was causing the cassette to bind to the axle after the lock nut was tightened. The spacer to convert the 11spd hub to a 10spd is all he left in.
    It's smooth again. No grating, no rub, no noise!!

Charged me €50 which I thought was excellent value all in all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Consey

Nice. That LBS deserves naming !
    G1032 wrote: »
    So this was a very simple fix in the end.

Brought it to my local (ish) bike shop and told them what investigations I had done. They said it was most likely the BB that needed replacing. I gave them the go ahead to put an Ultegra BB in for me.
    Chain had also snapped on me the day before and it bent / damaged the front derailleur in the process. So I also gave them the go ahead to replace the front derailleur if it couldn't be repaired. I was expecting a nice bill to be honest but I didn't care if it meant that the bike was fixed and that grating/chain rub noise was gone.

Called in to them yesterday evening and all was fixed.
    No new bottom bracket needed. They inspected exist one and it was fine.
    No new derailleur needed. They repaired it.
    New rear gear cables put in too since the end of the other one was frayed.
    New 105 chain installed.
    Replaced inline barrel adjuster for front derailleur too because that had seized on me.
    Gears all properly indexed and brakes adjusted.
    And they fixed the grating/chain rub sound.
    The fix was to remove the 1mm spacer that I had installed according to Shimano instructions. He said that the 1mm spacer was causing the cassette to bind to the axle after the lock nut was tightened. The spacer to convert the 11spd hub to a 10spd is all he left in.
    It's smooth again. No grating, no rub, no noise!!

Charged me €50 which I thought was excellent value all in all.

Consey wrote: »
    Nice. That LBS deserves naming !

It does indeed.
    Marrey Bikes in Ballinrobe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Eamon's a sound bloke. Highly recommend this store if for nothing else a chat and a browse through some savage bikes.

Advertisement