Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Edision Optimuss OS 3 Plus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Has anyone tried an Open Vix image for this box or got one handy ,

Thinking of trying one myself and will use that 4.3 on Open ATV

Thinking of getting two of these boxes to replace my Sky boxes which are out of contract in a few weeks. I'll be a newbie to the FTA/Saorview scene so looking for something stable which will produce an integrated 7 day EPG and series link type recording. From speed reading the thread it seems this box represents the best bang for buck in the market currently but I haven't seen a definitive answer to the above question and I believe Open Vix is the image of choice for stable Irish use. Can anyone clarify?

Also, does the box have built in WiFi? I'd only need it for updating the firmware/EPG etc not streaming content as I'll also have a HTPC type box providing on demand (Netflix etc) and NAS stored content to the same TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Partymack

Old Jim wrote: »
    The picons are not showing up. I went through the settings menu for the EPG and turned on picons anywhere it asked. There is a blank space where they should go I think so maybe it has difficulty reading them from the USB. I have all ~1000 .png files in a folder called picons. Does the USB key have to be empty besides this folder?

Hi Jim,

Apologies file should be called 'picon' not 'picons'.

You can have other files on the USB too - I have crossepg saving to my USB and find backups etc etc.

Let me know if that works our for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dav32cs

Picon folder located at media/hdd/picon(for HD) or usr/share/enigma2/picon(internal)

If you find it easier, install Rats Picon downloader, create folder, run it and all will appear on reboot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

dav32cs wrote: »
    Picon folder located at media/hdd/picon(for HD) or usr/share/enigma2/picon(internal)

If you find it easier, install Rats Picon downloader, create folder, run it and all will appear on reboot.

To create a symbolic link just follow these instructions.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91310256#post91310256

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Old Jim

Partymack wrote: »
    Hi Jim,

Apologies file should be called 'picon' not 'picons'.

You can have other files on the USB too - I have crossepg saving to my USB and find backups etc etc.

Let me know if that works our for ya

That worked :)
    Thanks for all your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Thinking of getting two of these boxes to replace my Sky boxes which are out of contract in a few weeks. I'll be a newbie to the FTA/Saorview scene so looking for something stable which will produce an integrated 7 day EPG and series link type recording. From speed reading the thread it seems this box represents the best bang for buck in the market currently but I haven't seen a definitive answer to the above question and I believe Open Vix is the image of choice for stable Irish use. Can anyone clarify?

Also, does the box have built in WiFi? I'd only need it for updating the firmware/EPG etc not streaming content as I'll also have a HTPC type box providing on demand (Netflix etc) and NAS stored content to the same TV.

the OS3 does provide a 7 day epg and does provide a series link type recording function. It is not just a simple press of a button like the sky box but not difficult to set up.

The box does not have built in wifi so you will need a wifi dongle for this, freetv.ie have them if this is where you order the box from. I have ours set up with a generic dongle that is plugged into one of the rear usb ports. I had to download the correct drivers for it.

In terms of images, OPENATV and HDFREAKS seem to be the most supported although OPENVIX have an image. Haven't tried the Openvix in a while so can't say how stable it is, currently use HDFREAKS without any problems.

You're welcome Jim,

Getting them working in EMC was the final piece in puzzle for me, but worth it as at a glance From your recordings you see the channel they came from by the picon. Nice touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭bored_stupid

OpenHDF 5.3 is gone live .

http://images.hdfreaks.cc/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

OpenHDF 5.3 is gone live .

http://images.hdfreaks.cc/

Flashing it now, have had this box 6 month , only got around to flashing an up to date image yesterday. Seems a lot more stable than the images from 6 months back.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 12 alanmacer

Hi all , I have being running the Open a.tv 5.0 image on Edision Os3 for a while now , as per the norm , it took a while to get it running the way I like , apart from the odd crash , I found it pretty stable , Is it worth the hasstle of updating to the newer Open a.tv 5.1 , or maybe even Hdfreaks 5.3 , any inputs would be greatly received .. thanks

alanmacer wrote: »
    Hi all , I have being running the Open a.tv 5.0 image on Edision Os3 for a while now , as per the norm , it took a while to get it running the way I like , apart from the odd crash , I found it pretty stable , Is it worth the hasstle of updating to the newer Open a.tv 5.1 , or maybe even Hdfreaks 5.3 , any inputs would be greatly received .. thanks

If you are happy as you are then I would leave it as it is especially if you have it how you like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭bored_stupid

The new openHDF 5.3 has some bug fixes and is also running the new GStreamer 1.6.0. 1.5.x is the old version an online update is not advised.

And a full Reflash of your box is advised.

Backup your channel list only .

Just checked on there home forum and a lot of reports over there that state a lot of bugs that were in 5.2 have been fixed in 5.3.

But As always if you have a good setup and the box is doing whats it ment to do i,d leave it a that .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Anyone else getting random box lockups when changing channels?Happened twice now in 3 days. Using hdf 5.3.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Anyone else getting random box lockups when changing channels?Happened twice now in 3 days. Using hdf 5.3.

Might be time to try OpenATV 5.1 Jim... So far so good for me.

• Advertisement

THE ALM wrote: »
    If you are happy as you are then I would leave it as it is especially if you have it how you like it.

Personally I can't resist The desire to 'tinker', and I have also found 5.1 a slight improvement on 5.0.

FrostyJim wrote: »

Been using 5.3 for the last few days and no problems at all, have found that the OS3 has really settled down over the last few months.

I do like a tinker myself and running simultaneous recordings while watching a third, online updates, trying different skins hasn't given me any issues.

THE ALM wrote: »
    Been using 5.3 for the last few days and no problems at all, have found that the OS3 has really settled down over the last few months.

I do like a tinker myself and running simultaneous recordings while watching a third, online updates, trying different skins hasn't given me any issues.

I'd have to agree - it seems this box has a settling period after you flash it. I had some bugs initially (black screens, no channel change etc. ) after flashing but they seem to have gone. It's humming Along nicely now...

Hi Guys , i am try to flash openatv 5.1 onto my edision OS3+ , i have the 3 unzipped files need ( imageversion , oe_kernel.bin , oe_rootfs.bin) , on my root of a usb stick , do i have to create a folder to put them into my usb , and what do i call that folder , if someone could give me a little help to complete the process , thanks

Hi Guys , i am trying to flash openatv 5.1 onto my edision OS3+ , i have the 3 unzipped files need ( imageversion , oe_kernel.bin , oe_rootfs.bin) , on my root of a usb stick , do i have to create a folder to put them into my usb , and what do i call that folder , if someone could give me a little help to complete the process , thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Installed HDF 5.3, installed autobouquetsmaker plugin, restart the box and after which trying to change channel using the keypad makes the box crash. Anybody else have that? I had to go back to 5.2

Hi Guys , i am trying to flash openatv 5.1 onto my edision OS3+ , i have the 3 unzipped files need ( imageversion , oe_kernel.bin , oe_rootfs.bin) , on my root of a usb stick , do i have to create a folder to put them into my usb , and what do i call that folder , if someone could give me a little help to complete the process , thanks

http://www.freetv.ie/how-to-install-enigma2-on-edision-optimuss-os3.html

superg wrote: »
    Installed HDF 5.3, installed autobouquetsmaker plugin, restart the box and after which trying to change channel using the keypad makes the box crash. Anybody else have that? I had to go back to 5.2

Are you sure it was Autoboquetmaker? As far as I know Autoboquetmaker is only for Sh4 boxes like Amiko Alien 2, it won't work on MIPS based machines like Optimuss. Maybe that's your problem?

Autoboquets is MIPS equivalent, although not quite as sophisticated.

Try removing ABM and start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭soram

Hey all - I haven't been back to this thread in a while as my box is running pretty well so I thought I'd leave it alone! It crashes every couple of weeks but a power cycle is enough to start it again. I'm guessing it is the CrossEPG but I can live with it!

We just got rid of another box on the unit that always showed the time of day on the display. Now she is complaining there is no time visible! Any idea if it is possible to edit the display format to show time as well as program on the OS3. It's not obvious in the settings to me.

Cheers

soram wrote: »
    Hey all - I haven't been back to this thread in a while as my box is running pretty well so I thought I'd leave it alone! It crashes every couple of weeks but a power cycle is enough to start it again. I'm guessing it is the CrossEPG but I can live with it!

We just got rid of another box on the unit that always showed the time of day on the display. Now she is complaining there is no time visible! Any idea if it is possible to edit the display format to show time as well as program on the OS3. It's not obvious in the settings to me.

Cheers

Hey Soram...

What image are you using? See my attached pic with large time visible in top right of screen on channel change.

I'm using OpenATV 5.1, which is pretty stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭soram

Not actually sure of the image version anymore! It was whatever the freetv guys put on it in March or so. I too can see that time on the on screen display but it was more to do with the LCD line on the box itself just working as a clock!

The UPC box had time on it at least in standby mode. Maybe I should just buy a feckin cheap clock! :)

BBC 1 HD, BBC 2 HD & BBC 3 HD

LADS,

Recently the HD BBCs (excepting (BBC4) have started to drop and are unavailable. I have tried retuning, full scans and single transponder but nothing is working. I've also reran Auroboquets.

SNR % is showing as 0 in infobar too so it is like there is no signal.

Anyone having similar problem? Anyone got a resolution?

Strangely they do sometimes work in The evening... Pretty sure my sat is ok, although just noticed having trouble also with CH4+1 and More 4 too!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭codar

SNR= signal to noise ratio (basically your signal quality)
    Try a different receiver if you have one but sounds like your dish has moved/ alignment issue or cabling problem.
    Old sky dishes rot also at the lnb arm which causes it to drop which in turn throws out your alignment also.
    It's been windy here (ROI) the past few days so it may be the straw that broke the camels back.

BBC 1 HD, BBC 2 HD & BBC 3 HD

LADS,

Recently the HD BBCs (excepting (BBC4) have started to drop and are unavailable. I have tried retuning, full scans and single transponder but nothing is working. I've also reran Auroboquets.

SNR % is showing as 0 in infobar too so it is like there is no signal.

Anyone having similar problem? Anyone got a resolution?

Strangely they do sometimes work in The evening... Pretty sure my sat is ok, although just noticed having trouble also with CH4+1 and More 4 too!!!

Definitely sounds like a Dish Alignment problem , you need a higher Signal strength to receive HD channels compared to SD channels , also if you are getting your dish 're-aligned , ask for your F-connector which is connected to the LNB on the Dish , to be replaced for a new F-connector , ( preferably the Cable should be snipped back , to make a fresh Connection ) ..

Definitely sounds like a Dish Alignment problem , you need a higher Signal strength to receive HD channels compared to SD channels , also if you are getting your dish 're-aligned , ask for your F-connector which is connected to the LNB on the Dish , to be replaced for a new F-connector , ( preferably the Cable should be snipped back , to make a fresh Connection ) ..

Cheers!

Job for the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Is this box still available to purchase or has it been end of lifed? I can't find anywhere which supplies it, even the google search for it returning freetvDOTie actually links to the OS2+ even though the link says OS3+

Looking to replace Amiko Alien 2, and possibly a Ferguson Ariva in the mothers place too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

kenmc wrote: »
    Is this box still available to purchase or has it been end of lifed? I can't find anywhere which supplies it, even the google search for it returning freetvDOTie actually links to the OS2+ even though the link says OS3+

Looking to replace Amiko Alien 2, and possibly a Ferguson Ariva in the mothers place too

I have actually just emailed freetv with the same question as you im upgrading my alien 2 and was looking for the os3, the freetv site says its the os2 but the pictures and code say its the os3 and the price is higher ten the os2 also.

On same item what backups can we get for the edison is there hyperion 4.5 available or is it just open atv??

Looking at the freetv add further it looks like its just the os2 with a usb tuner they are selling with it for the third tuner.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I have actually just emailed freetv with the same question as you im upgrading my alien 2 and was looking for the os3, the freetv site says its the os2 but the pictures and code say its the os3 and the price is higher ten the os2 also.

On same item what backups can we get for the edison is there hyperion 4.5 available or is it just open atv??

Looking at the freetv add further it looks like its just the os2 with a usb tuner they are selling with it for the third tuner.

Yeah there's something wierd going on there, it says OS3 and has a pic of OS3 on the front but the back shows 2 SAT inputs and a USB dongle for terrestrial which matches the text of OS2, whereas the OS3 is supposed to have a built in tuner with loopthrough for terrestrial, and 2 SAT inputs as well.

I won't bother emailing the same question so, will see what answer if any you get, perhaps you'd be so good as to summarize here?

Yeah there's something wierd going on there, it says OS3 and has a pic of OS3 on the front but the back shows 2 SAT inputs and a USB dongle for terrestrial which matches the text of OS2, whereas the OS3 is supposed to have a built in tuner with loopthrough for terrestrial, and 2 SAT inputs as well.

I won't bother emailing the same question so, will see what answer if any you get, perhaps you'd be so good as to summarize here?

i will do thats no problem. the os2 plus will do me thats no problem i dont really need the third tuner im more concerend about the availability of images for the os2.

Response from free tv

the optimuss OS3+ is no longer available however we sell
    the Optimuss OS2+ with a USB DVB-T/T2 tuner which allow this box to function as a triple tuner.

Please see product link here:
    Edision™ Optimuss OS2+ (Triple Tuner) http://www.freetv.ie/edision-optimuss-os-3-plus.html

Regards,
    Brian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

i will do thats no problem. the os2 plus will do me thats no problem i dont really need the third tuner im more concerend about the availability of images for the os2.

The Xtrend 8000 is a much better buy for similar money ,the Edisions have overheating issues that causes instability.

Zardoz wrote: »
    The Xtrend 8000 is a much better buy for similar money ,the Edisions have overheating issues that causes instability.

Where do you buy thm from mate? Abd is there a good update of images for them? Pm me if its easier for a link cheers.

Where do you buy thm from mate? Abd is there a good update of images for them? Pm me if its easier for a link cheers.

https://www.hm-sat-shop.de/hdtv-receiver-sat/xtrend/1939/xtrend-et-8000-hd-2x-dvb-s2-tuner-pvr-ready-linux-full-hd-hbbtv-receiver?c=52

Triple tuner is 229,delivery is 7 euro.

Images by Vix,Openatv and Pli

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

Partymack wrote:
    Job for the weekend.

When re-aligning (sounds like you'll do it yourself), hang a damp cloth over the LNB to simulate bad weather. You'll then need to have the LNB bang on. When you remove the cloth the signal strength should increase significantly, but you'll know the dish is spot on no matter what the gods throw your direction.

• Advertisement

championc wrote: »
    When re-aligning (sounds like you'll do it yourself), hang a damp cloth over the LNB to simulate bad weather. You'll then need to have the LNB bang on. When you remove the cloth the signal strength should increase significantly, but you'll know the dish is spot on no matter what the gods throw your direction.

Thanks Champ - I will be doing it myself do sounds like a good tip.

Strangely after 2 weeks of notvworkingbthey have returned. Having said that its the night of the 'big wind' out there tonight.

I bought one back in July/August and had similar problems finding one.

However, TV Tech Ireland have an eBay site (Google TV tech eBay) and they had it in stock.

I emailed them as they use same branding as TV Trade and wondered were they same company.

Turns out they are a reseller who are stocked by TV Trade and they had something like 120 in stock - even tho TV Trade had none! They may still have some...

TV TRADE confirmed this to me, don't know why they didn't mention it when I had also emailed them.

Any ways I had an Amiko Alien 2 and previously an arriva. I swooped it out for this, 10 times better! Xtrend specs sound good but its not a good looking box, battleship grey and not much else.

I'm using OPENATV 5.1 and it's pretty stable. In terms of look and feel no other image compares in my opinion. Ive tried Allen the others and they all a bit cheep and tacky by comparison. Although Hyperion gets rave reviews for stability, ain't much to look at tho !

Are you sure it was Autoboquetmaker? As far as I know Autoboquetmaker is only for Sh4 boxes like Amiko Alien 2, it won't work on MIPS based machines like Optimuss. Maybe that's your problem?

ABM is preinstalled on all official Vix images.
    Partymack wrote:
    Xtrend specs sound good but its not a good looking box, battleship grey and not much else.

Looks terrible in pictures and that was my only negative when buying. When you see it in front of you it's not as bad as the pics, more of a slick grey but still won't be to everyones liking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Yep its defo called AutoBouquetsMaker. I've always used it with no issues until then. I went back to HDF 5.2 and the plugin installed no problem. On 5.3 the plugin was uninstalling something first before it installed so this was obviously causing the issue cos its not doing that on 5.2, It just downloads and installs. The Amiko Alien one is AutoboquetsE2, I have one of those boxes as well.

Any ways I had an Amiko Alien 2 and previously an arriva. I swooped it out for this, 10 times better! Xtrend specs sound good but its not a good looking box, battleship grey and not much else.

I'm using OPENATV 5.1 and it's pretty stable. In terms of look and feel no other image compares in my opinion. Ive tried Alien the others and they all a bit cheep and tacky by comparison. Although Hyperion gets rave reviews for stability, ain't much to look at tho !

You do know that you can change the skin on the Alien 2 ,most popular skins will run on it .

The irony of your post is that the picture quality on the Alien beats that of the Edision and all other Mips receivers hands down .
    The sd picture quality on Mips receivers is pants to be honest.

You are correct though ,there is a better choice of skins on the Edision though and its a much faster receiver .
    I like the PLi skin myself but find it doesnt seem to work properly on the newer Openatv images ,its missing icons and on screen info on my Nano 3T .

You do know that you can change the skin on the Alien 2 ,most popular skins will run on it.

Yep, I tried pretty much all the skins on Amiko - none of them looked as nice as Metrix HD however, most are pretty tacky.
    The irony of your post is that the picture quality on the Alien beats that of the Edision and all other Mips receivers hands down .
    The sd picture quality on Mips receivers is pants to be honest.

I haven't noticed that to be honest and I'm pretty fussy about picture quality... Certainly would say the Irish SD channels look lousy, but (TV3 particularly) but main UK ones are fine.
    You are correct though ,there is a better choice of skins on the Edision though and its a much faster receiver .
    I like the PLi skin myself but find it doesnt seem to work properly on the newer Openatv images ,its missing icons and on screen info on my Nano 3T .

It's faster and crashes a lot less, Amiko needs its guts beefed up, it literally struggles to change channel sometimes.

• Advertisement

It's faster and crashes a lot less, Amiko needs its guts beefed up, it literally struggles to change channel sometimes.

That's my main issue with the Alien, it crashes far too frequently for my liking, I'd say on average once a week it goes down.

Considering the xtrend as tvtradeireland on ebay doesn't seem to have any edisions. The color isn't an issue for me as it'd be in a cabinet. Just to confirm the options I need for tuners is
    2x DVB-S2 / 1x DVB-C/T2 Tuner ? or
    2x DVB-S2 / 1x DVB-C/T Tuner?

Cheers
    K

soram wrote: »
    Not actually sure of the image version anymore! It was whatever the freetv guys put on it in March or so. I too can see that time on the on screen display but it was more to do with the LCD line on the box itself just working as a clock!

The UPC box had time on it at least in standby mode. Maybe I should just buy a feckin cheap clock! :)

Think you can only show either time or channel not both. If you go into menu - setup - devices - front panel - display - display settings then you should be able to change what is displayed.

That's my main issue with the Alien, it crashes far too frequently for my liking, I'd say on average once a week it goes down.

Considering the xtrend as tvtradeireland on ebay doesn't seem to have any edisions. The color isn't an issue for me as it'd be in a cabinet. Just to confirm the options I need for tuners is
    2x DVB-S2 / 1x DVB-C/T2 Tuner ? or
    2x DVB-S2 / 1x DVB-C/T Tuner?

Cheers
    K

Think you need C/T2 for Saorview terrestrial. The C/T would be be for non MPEG4 terrestrial channels, like UK spillover if you lived on east coast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Think you need C/T2 for Saorview terrestrial. The C/T would be be for non MPEG4 terrestrial channels, like UK spillover if you lived on east coast.
    DVB-C/T will work here. DVB-C/T2 is the newer transmission system used for HD in the UK. It would be no harm to invest in the T2 to future proof your setup or if you are in range of UK signals.

MPEG4 is a different thing referring to how the signal is encoded. UK use MPEG2 for SD but we use MPEG4 for all.

- Playback issues -

Anybody having playback issues when watching a recording? I'm using OATV5.1. On playback it very often just stops and freezes, or stops and screen goes black. No way to get it back without flicking switch on back and rebooting.

Very annoying, happened twice last night when watching s recorded movie!! MY HARDdrive is NTSC (not Ext 3) so that might have something to do with it... It has no issues reading and recording however. Anyone else have this problem?

• Advertisement
Advertisement