Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Edision Optimuss OS 3 Plus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭tippguy2

Hi people, I ordered one of these boxes (os2 +) and am wondering does it do pip, if so does TV need to have pip built in ?, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

tippguy2 wrote: »
    Hi people, I ordered one of these boxes (os2 +) and am wondering does it do pip, if so does TV need to have pip built in ?, thanks

It does do, and no the box does all the work.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

FrostyJim wrote: »
    It does do, and no the box does all the work.

Thank you, hope I'm not making a big mistake buying it, have a azbox premium +, but 5 powercuts on Friday have killed it, continuous booting on vdu, thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Thank you, hope I'm not making a big mistake buying it, have a azbox premium +, but 5 powercuts on Friday have killed it, continuous booting on vdu, thanks again

Buy a ups best few euros you'll ever spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Is the Saorview tuner on the OS 3 an external USB tuner? The model offered by Free.tv http://www.freetv.ie/edision-optimuss-os-3-plus.html states "Note: Terrestrial Tuner via USB DVB-T2 Dongle".

I believe the box will serve my purposes (as a FTA Sky replacement) very well but I really don't fancy the idea of the Saorview tuner being a USB add on rather than built in.

Is there a version somewhere with the Saorview tuner actually built in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Is the Saorview tuner on the OS 3 an external USB tuner? The model offered by Free.tv http://www.freetv.ie/edision-optimuss-os-3-plus.html states "Note: Terrestrial Tuner via USB DVB-T2 Dongle".

I believe the box will serve my purposes (as a FTA Sky replacement) very well but I really don't fancy the idea of the Saorview tuner being a USB add on rather than built in.

Is there a version somewhere with the Saorview tuner actually built in?

The OS3 has an internal dvb-T/2 tuner the OS 2 has twin sat and uses an external USB dvb -t tuner

Anyone else have a problem with moving channels in a bouquet with OK key ?, will only work if I hit the digit 6 (menu, enable move mode), thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

glic83 wrote: »
    The OS3 has an internal dvb-T/2 tuner the OS 2 has twin sat and uses an external USB dvb -t tuner

Thanks Glic83, that's what I thought but the OS3 advertised but Free.tv states the DVB-T2 tuner is an external USB job, see http://www.freetv.ie/edision-optimuss-os-3-plus.html

Confused.com :confused:

Are Free.tv trying to make an OS2 look like an OS3?

Edit: My bad. The link states "optimuss-os-3" but when the page comes up it's actually an OS2 with the external DVB-T2 tuner making it a "triple".

I think I'd prefer an OS3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Irreverent

Partymack wrote: »
    - Playback issues -

Anybody having playback issues when watching a recording? I'm using OATV5.1. On playback it very often just stops and freezes, or stops and screen goes black. No way to get it back without flicking switch on back and rebooting.

Very annoying, happened twice last night when watching s recorded movie!! MY HARDdrive is NTSC (not Ext 3) so that might have something to do with it... It has no issues reading and recording however. Anyone else have this problem?

I had this problem for ages. The only way to solve it for me was to replace the internal drive with an external hard drive. I just took out the internal drive, put it in an enclosure and connected it by usb. You then have to go into Enhanced Movie Center settings and point it at the usb drive as the main drive. Go back into the box settings and point recordings and timeshift at the same drive and bobs your uncle. Bit of a PITA but it worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭bored_stupid

Irreverent wrote: »
    I had this problem for ages. The only way to solve it for me was to replace the internal drive with an external hard drive. I just took out the internal drive, put it in an enclosure and connected it by usb. You then have to go into Enhanced Movie Center settings and point it at the usb drive as the main drive. Go back into the box settings and point recordings and timeshift at the same drive and bobs your uncle. Bit of a PITA but it worked.

No sure if the os3 is on Gstreamer 1.7.0 yet i know solo2 is if your box is on gstreamer 1.7.0 and this was installed by online update a fresh install is advised or you will have lockups and frezzes .

• Advertisement

Out of interest, has anybody added a second terrestrial tuner to the OS3 Plus, making it a quad tuner box? I was tempted for the €38 for an extra tuner from Freetv but am curious if anybody has done it yet and how has it worked out. The box has been going great for a long time now with no problems and I think this would make it a beast of a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

Out of interest, has anybody added a second terrestrial tuner to the OS3 Plus, making it a quad tuner box? I was tempted for the €38 for an extra tuner from Freetv but am curious if anybody has done it yet and how has it worked out. The box has been going great for a long time now with no problems and I think this would make it a beast of a player.

Does your box work with Saorview?

Does your box work with Saorview?

Yes it has two satellite tuners and one terrestrial tuner out of the box. You can add a second terrestrial tuner as per my post above to make it a quad tuner box. The advantage of this is recording and viewing two things at once on either satellite or Saorview. Be careful though, some models with similar names only have two satellite tuners and no Saorview tuner. You need to look carefully at what is included.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Partymack

No sure if the os3 is on Gstreamer 1.7.0 yet i know solo2 is if your box is on gstreamer 1.7.0 and this was installed by online update a fresh install is advised or you will have lockups and frezzes .

That's strange, I'm using an external drive. Checked and I'm on Gstreaner 1.7.0 and it was from reflag not online update.

I've also had the problem (black screen) when just watching TV! Suddenly channel just drops and screen goes black.

I'm pretty sure it's not settings as it's happened on OATV 5 and 5.1.

Good to hear you got it sorted. I'll keep eye on it.

Thanks.

Just put openvix (hades) on the OS 2+ , way better picture than openatv. www.sat-soft.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

Hi all,

Just made a mess of my box and am in trouble (not too techie which doesn't help). Box booting in a loop.

Have downloaded OpenATV and have extracted all, then saved to usb but the machine doesn't recognise any new software when switched on.

Can anybody help a old guy "who was afraid to ask" until now?

Thanks J

JOSman wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just made a mess of my box and am in trouble (not too techie which doesn't help). Box booting in a loop.

Have downloaded OpenATV and have extracted all, then saved to usb but the machine doesn't recognise any new software when switched on.

Can anybody help a old guy "who was afraid to ask" until now?

Thanks J

Power off, insert USB pen, power on, should see an upgrade on the box screen, hold down program - button on box for a few secs should then upgrade,
    NB, the USB should have a folder on root called "update"

Hi Tippguy2,

Was one folder too high. Saved update to usb. Box now sees software update. Am presently scanning satellite.

Thanks for your help, you're a life saver. :)

J

Hi Tippguy2,

Was one folder too high. Saved update to usb. Box now sees software update. Am presently scanning satellite.

Thanks for your help, you're a life saver. :)

J

Your welcome, well done, you should download the vix image from the site I listed above, picture is way more sharper than atv

• Advertisement

Hi Tippguy2,

Will try that tomorrow, if something else happens tonight the wife will throw me out. I'll keep the head down until later.

Thanks again J

Hi Tippguy2,

Will try that tomorrow, if something else happens tonight the wife will throw me out. I'll keep the head down until later.

Thanks again J

I'm sure 110% of males on this forum would agree with you ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

I keep getting a message that "a recording has failed disk full?" Even though there is only 1 hour of recording on it. I have tried various images, factory resets. After a reset it lasts about a week then this happens again. It also starts to lock up at the same time that this message occurs. Any ideas? ( I am using a 160 g internal hard drive)

Kalyke wrote: »
    I keep getting a message that "a recording has failed disk full?" Even though there is only 1 hour of recording on it. I have tried various images, factory resets. After a reset it lasts about a week then this happens again. It also starts to lock up at the same time that this message occurs. Any ideas? ( I am using a 160 g internal hard drive)
    Did you initialise the drive

Did you initialise the drive
    Forgot to mention that but yes I did. The last time I went for factory reset, followed by hard drive initialize followed by fresh image... same result. Might stick an external drive on it. Will I need to disconnect the internal drive?

Forgot to mention that but yes I did. The last time I went for factory reset, followed by hard drive initialize followed by fresh image... same result. Might stick an external drive on it. Will I need to disconnect the internal drive?

I'd say so, maybe your drive is faulty ? Or the cables to drive are loose ?, I recorded 5 hours of the kick boxing last weekend (to see 13 secs of Mc Gregor), anyways went OK, have a 500 GB internal

• Advertisement

I'd say so, maybe your drive is faulty ? Or the cables to drive are loose ?, I recorded 5 hours of the kick boxing last weekend (to see 13 secs of Mc Gregor), anyways went OK, have a 500 GB internal

Are you using a USB pen drive as well as your HDD?

Sometimes if you have a HDD and USB drive plugged in it defaults your recordings to you USB drive which doesn't have much space.

I can walk you through setting to remount if this is case. Let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭spuddy

Just put openvix (hades) on the OS 2+ , way better picture than openatv. www.sat-soft.net

Do you know if it works on the OS 3+ ?

spuddy wrote: »
    Do you know if it works on the OS 3+ ?

Yes go to website I mentioned, register hit forum buttton and on top of page (flashing text) download frequently images, all images for all the edision boxes are available to download www.sat-soft.net , and hit the forum button

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

How does one boot from USB media on an Optimuss?( using OS2+ here )
    I created update folder on the root of a USB stick, plugged it in, nothing happens( no firmware update detected screen - tried this on 2 tv's - in case it appears so fast that display wouldnt notice it ), boots as normal. Tried USB HDD, same. Held Program - button down on bootup and screen goes blank, says "Booting...." on the display on the Optimus, screen stays blank indefinately and its stuck on "Booting...." for hours. Rebooting its still back on the same installation( i.e. German - the factory settings i reset it to )

I messed up the default install, figured could reinstall anyway but now its a brick.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭spuddy

lmimmfn wrote: »
    How does one boot from USB media on an Optimuss?( using OS2+ here )
    I created update folder on the root of a USB stick, plugged it in, nothing happens( no firmware update detected screen - tried this on 2 tv's - in case it appears so fast that display wouldnt notice it ), boots as normal. Tried USB HDD, same. Held Program - button down on bootup and screen goes blank, says "Booting...." on the display on the Optimus, screen stays blank indefinately and its stuck on "Booting...." for hours. Rebooting its still back on the same installation( i.e. German - the factory settings i reset it to )

I messed up the default install, figured could reinstall anyway but now its a brick.

If you have a HDD or a second USB stick, make sure to plug them out first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

spuddy wrote: »
    If you have a HDD or a second USB stick, make sure to plug them out first.
    no, dont have an internal HDD and theres no other USB connected, nothing connected other than power and USB im trying to install from( no sat cables or anything ).

Tried formatting USB in NTFS and exFAT32, neither work to boot it. tried the 3 diffferent USB connections, no joy.

*EDIT* also tried FAT32( not an option in windows 10 but via third party )

*EDIT 2 * Nevermind, its specifically a windows 10 issue, FAT32 is no longer a format option, reading doc for Optimuss says USB should be FAT32 so downloaded "AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition" ( crap name but works ) and formated it from there. I had tried some other tool to create a FAT32 partition but it wouldnt boot.
    Working now.....sofar :)

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I've been playing around the HDF image after many months of stable operation on OATV5. I have it in a pretty good place but I'm struggling with the MerlinMusicPlayer plugin. I get an error saying '

Warning
    Some plugins not available
    Extensions/MerlinMusicPlayer(No module named sqlite3)

Any thoughts?

Alternatively, any recommendations for a Music player plugin that works well and catalogues the music on an external NAS mounted as a network drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

Does your NAS have Apps ? If so, has it got Plex?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

championc wrote: »
    Does your NAS have Apps ? If so, has it got Plex?

No Plex, its just a DLNA server

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Hey guys where would the best place to go to get images for the os 2? I've had a look on Sat TV help buy not much happening there and Linux support only seem that have the raw images from open atv.

Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough ha.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Hey guys where would the best place to go to get images for the os 2? I've had a look on Sat TV help buy not much happening there and Linux support only seem that have the raw images from open atv.

Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough ha.

For Openatv images you could try here

http://www.sat-soft.net/forum/index.php?sid=f075d23deeddf896345bff2d5f848a30. All here, register and hit the flashing "download frequently images" at the top of page

http://www.sat-soft.net/forum/index.php?sid=f075d23deeddf896345bff2d5f848a30. All here, register and hit the flashing "download frequently images" at the top of page

Mate thats exactly what I want loads of stuff to play around with and not stuck with open atv. May brush up on my German id say ha.

Your welcome, IPTV player in the plugins on your box works perfectly vumoo and cartoon HD are brill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

sorted

• Advertisement

Your welcome, IPTV player in the plugins on your box works perfectly vumoo and cartoon HD are brill
    What image are you using to enable this plugin?

What image are you using to enable this plugin?

Openatv 5.1, have used it also on a zgemma 2s running vix, iptv player is listed in the plugins (extensions) for both images

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Been using the Black Hole image on this a few days now and am very impressed, seems quite stable and appears to be a cut above anything I've tried from OATV and HDF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭THE ALM

superg wrote: »
    Been using the Black Hole image on this a few days now and am very impressed, seems quite stable and appears to be a cut above anything I've tried from OATV and HDF.

As I do like a tinker myself I am currently trying out the egami image, even though I had a perfectly stable box running hdf. Only loaded it up last night so will have to see how I get on. I did try out the droidsat image although I had to keep re-scanning, think it was the vhannibal plugin which I hadn't set up correctly, so I may go back to it and give it another go as I quite liked the look of it.

Interested to hear how you get on with the black hole image, might give it a go if egami doesn't work out.

Anybody else try out some of the other images?

This is a very annoying issue. I sometimes bring home a few films on usb to put on my mum's OS3 plus. I ftp them over to the external USB used for recording on the box. But every time she goes to watch one it stops halfway through. Anybody know why this might be happening. Running OATV 5.1. All very stable otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Can this box still be purchased? It's not on FreeTV?

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Can this box still be purchased? It's not on FreeTV?

No they have the os2 with a usb tuner as the third tuner I emailed them a while ago they said the os3 has been discontinued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

jayo26 wrote: »
    No they have the os2 with a usb tuner as the third tuner I emailed them a while ago they said the os3 has been discontinued.

Hmmm, Os2 doesn't even appear to be there now.

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Hmmm, Os2 doesn't even appear to be there now.

I got my OS3 from TVTECH - they are actually supplied by Free tv.

They have 7 OS2s on their Ebay site, see link below (it's the eBay mobile site):

http://m.ebay.ie/itm/181634506605?_mwBanner=1

If that helps..,

• Advertisement

This is a very annoying issue. I sometimes bring home a few films on usb to put on my mum's OS3 plus. I ftp them over to the external USB used for recording on the box. But every time she goes to watch one it stops halfway through. Anybody know why this might be happening. Running OATV 5.1. All very stable otherwise.

I'm having this problem generally with my OS3. It almost always happens if I've recorded a HD channel.

Wrote to supplier and they suggested reformatting HARDdrive to Ext4, mINE was in NTFS. Too early to say if problem is sorted yet.

My other problem is just box locking up, and screen going black. Hard reboot is only way to revive it. Again it seems to happen while watching a HD channel. I think the RAM is filling up and running out of space. Waiting for redone on this from Open ATV forums.

Anyone else having this 'box crashing' problem?

Advertisement