Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Edision Optimuss OS 3 Plus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Donkey OTae

the-yikes wrote: »
    I have done up a pretty decent image for this box ,

If you have a HD installed use this dropbox link

dropbox.com/sh/zpsl2sj51...awJvt45ua?dl=0

If you don't have a HD installed then use this link

dropbox.com/sh/f65r8q36h...lpK09aK-a?dl=0

This box is a lot more simple to update , than a SAB or Amiko Triple
    Download the File from the DB link
    Put the update folder onto the root of the stick
    Power the box off and plug in the USB
    The Box will detect the new FW , to load it onto the box press the Channel - button on the front of the box , I think you have 10-15 seconds to load this or it will just boot as normal
    When its done , it will tell you to remove the USB stick and boot up again

I have made up these images for freetv.ie so their logo is in the boot logo but that can be easily changed by converting an image into a MVI and calling it bootlogo , FTP into the box and replace the bootlogo file in USR / Sh

I Cannot update using the files listed above? is there some way of updating from the zip files or the update folder on the root of my usb?
    Hi, Thanks for creating the images. I'd like to try it. It doesn't look like those links to the files are working on Dropbox at the moment though?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭thebackbar

Hi folks, i recently bought the Edision OS Mini Triple Tuner, however it hangs nearly everyday ! i tried reloading the firmware but it still hangs. Any ideas what could be wrong with it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Using openvix on this box now but notice a lot of the images aren't being updated, Openvix,Blackhole Openpli etc not updated since March. Whats the deal? I can't stand OpenATV and had problems with HDF yet these two are the only current images.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

superg wrote:
    Using openvix on this box now but notice a lot of the images aren't being updated, Openvix,Blackhole Openpli etc not updated since March. Whats the deal? I can't stand OpenATV and had problems with HDF yet these two are the only current images.

It could be argued that there are no necessary changes for this box. The OpenATV image is built to support so many boxes that this can drive so many changes. The fundamentals like Drivers for Audio and Video aren't changing.

Ok so. One other question. I having a lot of trouble streaming hd channels to my PC. Sd channels no problems. Whats the likely issue here, is it the box/image capabilities or is it my home network? HD channels used to work but now just keep breaking up. Its an ethernet connection and all channels work fine on the box itself.

I plan to change to a VU+ box so if its a box issue it will hurry me up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

superg wrote: »
    Ok so. One other question. I having a lot of trouble streaming hd channels to my PC. Sd channels no problems. Whats the likely issue here, is it the box/image capabilities or is it my home network? HD channels used to work but now just keep breaking up. Its an ethernet connection and all channels work fine on the box itself.

I plan to change to a VU+ box so if its a box issue it will hurry me up.
    If they worked before then its not the box. Probably your network.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

FrostyJim wrote: »
    If they worked before then its not the box. Probably your network.

Nothings changed that's the thing. They seem to be working ok last couple of days though. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

A friend has a problem with her remote. As far as I can gather there seems to be an issue with the volume buttons. When pressed they seem to activate a red light at the top of the remote and it then becomes unusable. Is there a way the remote can be reset? She tried leaving the batteries out over night but it still persists.

hi folks, sorry for posting again, but i recently got a Edision Optimuss OS 3 Plus, it crashes when i'm changing channels sporadically, in the space of an hour it had crashed 3 times .. i appreciate that these systems don't have the same reliability as sky boxes but i thought it would be a lot more stable than this ! is there anything i could be doing wrong ?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dav32cs

A friend has a problem with her remote. As far as I can gather there seems to be an issue with the volume buttons. When pressed they seem to activate a red light at the top of the remote and it then becomes unusable. Is there a way the remote can be reset? She tried leaving the batteries out over night but it still persists.

Sounds like it's getting stuck or similar, might have to try see if you can have a look to fix it or get a new remote.

I have a spare new one lying around if I can find it, can have it if they pay for postage.

• Advertisement

thebackbar wrote: »
    hi folks, sorry for posting again, but i recently got a Edision Optimuss OS 3 Plus, it crashes when i'm changing channels sporadically, in the space of an hour it had crashed 3 times .. i appreciate that these systems don't have the same reliability as sky boxes but i thought it would be a lot more stable than this ! is there anything i could be doing wrong ?

If you try see what the crash log is saying or better yet retrieve the crash log from the box it will give you an idea of why it is happening.

Quickest fix would be to reflash - the Vix rip image seems quite stable.

dav32cs wrote: »
    Sounds like it's getting stuck or similar, might have to try see if you can have a look to fix it or get a new remote.

I have a spare new one lying around if I can find it, can have it if they pay for postage.

Cheers that's generous of you, I will pm you now.

dav32cs wrote: »
    thebackbar wrote: »

If you try see what the crash log is saying or better yet retrieve the crash log from the box it will give you an idea of why it is happening.

Quickest fix would be to reflash - the Vix rip image seems quite stable.

Thanks for the reply, i might try the vix rip, the crash log seems to indicate a problem with the epg http://pastebin.com/n7sgE7bP ?

Can anyone tell me what temp their CPU is running at please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Can anyone tell me what temp their CPU is running at please?

Generally running around the 72-73 degree mark

THE ALM wrote: »
    Generally running around the 72-73 degree mark

Mines consistently in the 80-90 range. I'm having issues with random reboots on any image I try. Think I may have got a dud but I didn't realise it at the time and too late to ask for a refund/swap now as I got it last April. Fan is noisey when on at any speed also.

Do you have your fan switched on ? If so to what level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

75 degrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭zanardi

Mines consistently in the 80-90 range. I'm having issues with random reboots on any image I try. Think I may have got a dud but I didn't realise it at the time and too late to ask for a refund/swap now as I got it last April. Fan is noisey when on at any speed also.

Mine is at 88 degrees, fan at 55. It began crashing a lot about six months ago, to a point it became unusable. Different images made no difference. Like you, it was out of warranty so took out the soldering iron and retouched as many joints as I felt comfortable tackling. Luckily it made a big difference, box is rock solid since.

Might be worth a shot if you are really stuck, but it's risky.

zanardi wrote: »
    Mine is at 88 degrees, fan at 55. It began crashing a lot about six months ago, to a point it became unusable. Different images made no difference. Like you, it was out of warranty so took out the soldering iron and retouched as many joints as I felt comfortable tackling. Luckily it made a big difference, box is rock solid since.

Might be worth a shot if you are really stuck, but it's risky.
    Don't know if I'd feel to confident doing that really, I'd have to track down a soldering pen too but thanks anyway for the suggestion. If all else fails I may have to buy one.

following up on the problems i had with this system I upgraded to the latest openelec image, the hangs have stopped but i get "tune failed" when i try to click on any of the saorview channels ! Has anyone seen this ?

• Advertisement

Fan is on and at about 55% and can't say that I hear it at all. Was running at 67 degrees when I checked again yesterday evening.

THE ALM wrote: »
    Fan is on and at about 55% and can't say that I hear it at all. Was running at 67 degrees when I checked again yesterday evening.

Does your fan make a sound? Mine is quite whiny if I have it on at all. After the box being in standby for hours yesterday I checked and mine was at 80%. Wonder if its the harddrive.

Does your fan make a sound? Mine is quite whiny if I have it on at all. After the box being in standby for hours yesterday I checked and mine was at 80%. Wonder if its the harddrive.

Can't say that I have ever heard it to be honest. Will double check this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cian_r

Hi,

I dont think the Edision Optimuss OS 3 is available anymore. I see FreeTV.ie are selling the OS mini twin tuner. Does anyone know if it is possible to use a usb dvb-t tuner with this and effectively make the box a triple tuner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭codar

Yes, they were selling the os2 as a triple tuner a while ago with a dvbsky usb terrestrial tuner.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxkqseE2iNg
    The os-mini should run it also.

codar wrote: »
    Yes, they were selling the os2 as a triple tuner a while ago with a dvbsky usb terrestrial tuner.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxkqseE2iNg
    The os-mini should run it also.

thanks for this. the dvbsky tuner is a bit pricey. I've seen lots of other cheaper models on ebay etc, but presume I need to consider drivers?

Also I checked the downloadable drivers on latest vix4 and the dvbsky tuner driver isnt listed. is there a generic driver I could use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭codar

I checked the downloadable drivers on latest vix4 and the dvbsky tuner driver isnt listed

Check your installed drivers as it may have been installed by default.
    I've seen lots of other cheaper models on ebay etc, but presume I need to consider drivers?

If i were buying a usb tuner, I'd get a good quality one.
    I've learned the hard way that cheap tuners are sometimes troublesome with slow channel changes and picture breakup quite common, and after updating images, they refuse to work.
    I can recommend a sundtek usb dvb-t tuner but they are even more expensive than the dvbsky, that said, they do provide very good support and work with every image I've thrown at it to date on various receivers.

How do I backup an image on the OS mini? Is through some plugin or maybe some other way?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dherbage

Hi,
    I am using the HD Freaks image at the moment and my system is constantly hanging/freezing, I haven't updated to the very latest one but can anyone recommend any other more stable image or should i just try the latest HD Freaks image or are there any settings I should try on the box??
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

cian_r wrote: »
    Hi,

I dont think the Edision Optimuss OS 3 is available anymore. I see FreeTV.ie are selling the OS mini twin tuner. Does anyone know if it is possible to use a usb dvb-t tuner with this and effectively make the box a triple tuner?

I just recently purchased an Edison Mini almost identical to this one.

The only difference is that the one i got has only one coaxial port.

I've disconnected my sky box and hooked up the new one, the sky box had two coaxial cables whereas there is only one connected now.

The issue I'm having is that the new box will not allow me to watch one channel while recording another.

Would getting a coaxial splitter allow me to do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

No. You can not successfully split satellite cables. That's the reason your old box had two cables and tuners. One watching while the other recorded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

No. You can not successfully split satellite cables. That's the reason your old box had two cables and tuners. One watching while the other recorded.

OK, thanks Gerry.

Just to be 100% clear what I'm asking, I was thinking that maybe something like this could work

https://www.google.ie/search?q=honda+stream&prmd=ivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj5i53h7dbOAhUEL8AKHeSCBrQQ_AUIBygB&biw=360&bih=559#tbm=isch&q=coaxial+splitter&imgrc=Uvt8aCD1yHLHFM%3A

I'd connect the two cables from the dish to the dual side then connect the single one to the box.

Is that a no go?

Any idea of a fix?

Thanks.

Absolutely no point in joining the cables. The only option is a box with 2 DVB-S2 tuners. If the Edision is brand new perhaps the retailer will consider an exchange to a better model.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

cian_r wrote: »
    Hi,

Just noticed that too. See freetv have the Mini Combo (DVB-S2 + DVB-T2/C), the Mini (DVB-S2 Twin Tuner) and the Mini+ (DVB-S2/T2/C) - now I'm even more confused. Are any of these close to the Optimuss in specs? Also, which of these would be the better model as they all seem the same?

Edit: the mini+ appears to be a light model with only 1 LNB input. Do the other 2 models with 2 LNB inputs mean I could record 1 channel while watching another?

Edit 2: after reading the specs, they answer my questions plus the poster above me answered it too. Does anyone have the twin tuner and would they recommend it?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Donkey OTae

Im looking for some advice if anyone can recommend please?
    I have an internal 1tb HDD in the OS3+ but would like to move some of my recordings onto a seperate external 5tb HDD for permanent keeping.
    I've connected the 5tb to the OS3 by USB and using the file recording menu I've tried move files over but there is about 10-12 clicks and menu moves and the transfers take ages e.g a 3gb file takes 15 mins or so.
    I know I could remote in wirelessly using filezilla but Id be worried that it wouldnt be stable enough.
    It may sound like a first world problem but I want to move around 500gbs of files & would take ages.
    Any advice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Filezila will be grand. I would just take the hard drive out and use a hdd caddy to swap stuff over before I put it back on again.

Filezilla will do the job grand. It can recover from minor errors and interruptions when using wifi. Maybe not the fastest but you can continue to use the box at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Safest bet is to 'copy' the files and when you confirm they are copied accurately then separately deleted the originals.

My friends box is locking up on HD freaks, what's open ATV like on it now if anyone is using it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

It's my daily runner for the past year. Can't fault it

• Advertisement

There is also an OpenVix rip linked further back, one of the German forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Is the new Edision™ OS MEGA Combo a step up from the box this thread is discussing?

Does it take a while for a descent backup image to appear or are the default images stage enough these days?

Is setting up the terrestrial tuner on an Edision handy enough?

Yes it's a step up with a better newer processor for a start,built in wifi and bluetooth, also the option to split the third tuner to make it a quad tuner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Irreverent

I have been using this box for approximately 18 months now and it has generally worked very well. I have one problem though in that I have had two hdd failures (both internal) in that time.

Are there any settings I am not aware of to avoid this again or are particular drives better than others? Looking at a WD AV 1tb drive on Amazon as a replacement.

Irreverent wrote: »
    I have been using this box for approximately 18 months now and it has generally worked very well. I have one problem though in that I have had two hdd failures (both internal) in that time.

Are there any settings I am not aware of to avoid this again or are particular drives better than others? Looking at a WD AV 1tb drive on Amazon as a replacement.
    If you have live rewind activated, it means the HDD is always recording.

Cheers Gerry. I'll check to see if it's activated. That could well be it. There are so many settings in E2 it's hard to keep track.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭soram

Hi all
    Haven't posted for a while as my edision has been working great. However, I came home this evening and now the CoolTV Guide won't display :(
    Pressing the epg button does nothing. I've tried rebooting and assigning the button to other guides. Reboot doesn't help and reassigning pulls up the other guides fine but when I program back to cooltv it doesn't work.

Anybody with the same issue? Got a possible solution? Or can recommend another guide plugin?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

This is being discussed on another thread.

See;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057246289&page=451

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭soram

Many thanks

Hi all. Just coming back to my post from last week. I have put a new hdd into the optimuss and initialised it. Tineshift is still active on the box but I don't see an option to turn it off. Does anyone know how to turn this option off?

• Advertisement
Advertisement