Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Edision Optimuss OS 3 Plus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Yeah its populating for today but not for the days ahead. I'll leave the channel tuned in longer and see. Buttons are mess compared to cool tv guide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭techdiver

Hi,

I have an Amiko Alien 2 currently. Enigma2 is very unstable for me, due to what I think is a hardware issue. Anyway, thinking of getting an OS3.

Could someone check the length of the power cord for me each side of the power unit?

I have my STB's in a elevated cabinet and want to know if I need to buy a longer power cord. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Not home at the moment but it has a standard figure of 8 lead plugged into the power supply/brick. Amazon have one at 5 metres so should not be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭TM

Just received mine so straight out of the box... (but I'm using a stock picture below) :-)

On left: Power cord from mains to PSU is 1.2m.
    On right: Cable from PSU to box is about 1.2m too.
    So about 2.4m in total not counting the length of the PSU box itself.
    Hope that helps.

51wM7W8uu9L.jpg

Kalyke wrote: »
    Not home at the moment but it has a standard figure of 8 lead plugged into the power supply/brick. Amazon have one at 5 metres so should not be a problem.
    TM wrote: »
    Just received mine so straight out of the box... (but I'm using a stock picture below) :-)

On left: Power cord from mains to PSU is 1.2m.
    On right: Cable from PSU to box is about 1.2m too.
    So about 2.4m in total not counting the length of the PSU box itself.
    Hope that helps.

51wM7W8uu9L.jpg

Thanks for the response. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Crashville - The box does not like the latest openatv 5.0, couldn't get past the set-up screen before it would crash. Was going so well before I decided to flash the latest image, maybe if I updated it through the usb it would have made a difference.

Decided I would try something new so have loaded the latest hdfreaks which went ok and picked up my previous settings although can't get the wifi dongle sorted so will have to work on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭NegativeOne

Haven't managed to go a day using this box without it crashing for one reason or another. The software is a real let down. If I knew how bad it was I'd have just bought another aa2.

What image are you using?
    What plugins are you adding?

What image are you using?
    What plugins are you adding?

Tried openatv and hdfreaks. Hdfreaks was slightly more stable but it still has some bugs. Kept plugins to a minimum, just crossepg, rats autobouquets

• Advertisement

Odd since THE ALM for one seems to have reported it being stable enough - on OpenATV 5 I think?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95682537&postcount=340

I'm not in a position to install and use mine yet but will report back when I do get around to it...

Have rarely had any problems of late to be honest, just seems the latest openatv is causing my box to crash so I will try out hdfreaks and see how it goes.

got the wifi sorted thankfully.

When on openatv when I hit the list or play button it would show me all recordings etc which it not the case with hdfreaks, how do I sort this or is there a plugin I am missing?

THE ALM wrote: »
    Have rarely had any problems of late to be honest, just seems the latest openatv is causing my box to crash so I will try out hdfreaks and see how it goes.
    OpenATV 5?
    Were you tracking/updating to their latest builds regularly?

OpenATV 5?
    Were you tracking/updating to their latest builds regularly?

regularly enough, might skip every other one and then run an update. I would usually flash online without settings and plugins and then as it rebooted I would restore the settings when asked.

got the wifi sorted thankfully.

When on openatv when I hit the list or play button it would show me all recordings etc which it not the case with hdfreaks, how do I sort this or is there a plugin I am missing?

Got that sorted, just had to arrange the hot keys for remote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

Quick one. Am I missing a very obvious way to delete items in bulk from the bx without logging in from a PC? I tried setting up a Peppa Pig recording for the kids and each slot it found seemed to record 10 times at the same time, so now I have a couple hundred entries I want to get rid of. Selecting to delete then confirm takes a while then you have to empty the recycle bin individually, so I'd be at it for hours! I've since cancelled the timer but need to clean up the mess it created! Thanks!

g0g wrote: »
    Quick one. Am I missing a very obvious way to delete items in bulk from the bx without logging in from a PC? I tried setting up a Peppa Pig recording for the kids and each slot it found seemed to record 10 times at the same time, so now I have a couple hundred entries I want to get rid of. Selecting to delete then confirm takes a while then you have to empty the recycle bin individually, so I'd be at it for hours! I've since cancelled the timer but need to clean up the mess it created! Thanks!

When you have deleted items highlighted press menu and select remove all items from trash permanently. As for the first problem there is no way as far as i'm aware to highlight more than one recording at a time so doing it on the box would be a slow process. What I'd recommend is downloading filezilla on your PC and deleting them that way. Just a matter of sorting by name or date and highlighting the lot and pressing delete.

If you had es file explorer app on your phone you could do it through that without having to fire up a pc.

So, what's the overall view of this box?

I've read much of the thread and it started off with overwhelming optimism and praise, but that has been tempered by some issues recently.

A few questions I have are:

1. Is it stable with enigma2?
    2. Can you flash Hyperion on this box?
    3. I assume the internal hard dive is the way forward for PVR and crossepg etc? (or is the internal flash big enough to support crossepg?)
    4. What's your overall satisfaction?
    I have an Amiko Alien 2 and gave up on Enigma2 due to stability issues (although, I think it could be hardware related) and am now running Spark flawlessly.

Is this the best box at this price point?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

techdiver wrote: »

I've read much of the thread and it started off with overwhelming optimism and praise, but that has been tempered by some issues recently.

3. I assume the internal hard dive is the way forward for PVR and crossepg etc? (or is the internal flash big enough to support crossepg?)
    I have an Amiko Alien 2 and gave up on Enigma2 due to stability issues (although, I think it could be hardware related) and am now running Spark flawlessly.

Cheers.

Yes the box is stable with engima 2.

Main image teams that I have seen that are actively working on images are openATV and HDFreaks. Both are good. Personal preference really.
    I use an internal drive, but you can run the epg for freesat without a hard drive.
    Price wise its a good buy , it all depends what you need there have been other receivers mention that are a good bit cheaper but don't have the option of an internal drive.

I had a lot of issues with the box when I 1st got it that involved me reading the openatv & HdFreaks forums and using google translate to understand them (they are mostly in German).

I have it running solid now no issues for a while but have only the pluggins I need and thats it , epg, recordings all fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 nippon

hi any help here im looking to run a c line and an n line can someone please help me i camt find a link for it anywhere for this box cheers in advance

techdiver wrote: »

Cheers.

Agree with glic83.

These seem to be running fairly well. I swapped over to HDFreaks image and haven't had any issues.

I think many of the posts in this thread are from when the os3+ was fairly new to the market and the images probably not as developed as they are now. It used to be that there was a query every other day, not so now.

I have an internal hard drive installed for recordings and timeshift, the epg data and picons I save to a usb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

nippon wrote: »
    hi any help here im looking to run a c line and an n line can someone please help me i camt find a link for it anywhere for this box cheers in advance

Cannot talk about that here. You'd get banned:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nippon

Cannot talk about that here. You'd get banned:)

Thanks sorry thought I could find out info here

Cheers

Looking for some simplified idiot info if anyone could oblige! Have one of these a few months with internal drive.

I'm pretty sure I'm on 4.2 openATV since I got the box. Periodically I check for software updates and it usually gives me up to 100 patch files (or whatever they are) at a time. This evening I did a check and got a message saying my image is out of date and it's too risky to perform an online update!

I'm guessing an "offline" update is what is required. Does this mean going to a 4.3 or have I read that 5 exists? Is that process easy enough? Will I lose my favourites bouquet? If I want to backup a bouquet does it have to be done to a USB or can it save to my internal drive?

Also, is rewinding live TV possible with these? If I ever pause I can't seem to go backwards. Is there a setting you have to enable that tells the box to have rolling recording running so you can go back?

Looking for some simplified idiot info if anyone could oblige! Have one of these a few months with internal drive.

I'm pretty sure I'm on 4.2 openATV since I got the box. Periodically I check for software updates and it usually gives me up to 100 patch files (or whatever they are) at a time. This evening I did a check and got a message saying my image is out of date and it's too risky to perform an online update!

I'm guessing an "offline" update is what is required. Does this mean going to a 4.3 or have I read that 5 exists? Is that process easy enough? Will I lose my favourites bouquet? If I want to backup a bouquet does it have to be done to a USB or can it save to my internal drive?

Also, is rewinding live TV possible with these? If I ever pause I can't seem to go backwards. Is there a setting you have to enable that tells the box to have rolling recording running so you can go back?

Not in front of machine at the moment so will try from memory.

You will first want to back up your settings, this option will be in the same list where you do a software update.

From this link download the latest 5.0 image to you pc/laptop.

Plug a usb memory stick into your pc/laptop and unzip the downloaded file onto the usb stick, this should give you a file called 'update' on the root of the memory stick.

Turn off your OS3, with the switch at the back, and plug the memory stick into the front usb port of the box (if you have a usb plugged into the rear of the OS3 then unplug it). Now turn on the box and a screen should come up saying 'found new S/W', when this appears then press the channel - button on the front panel. This should now update the image on the box.

When this image is being updated you will be asked to confirm a few details like the type of connection you use, hdmi for example, and the resolution, 1080. You will be asked to select a language which you can do by pressing the red button. You can remove all other languages when asked if you like.

You will be asked do you want to restore your settings, click yes when this appears. You may also get a message asking if you want to restore any plugins you have, again just click yes.

After a few minutes you box should be updated to the latest image and you will be asked to remove the usb stick from the front to of the box and to restart your OS3. You can plug any usb's back into the rear of the box if you had any.

It will be a good idea to check that recording, epg's etc are pointing to where you want them saved.

To set the rewinding of live tv you will need to go into timeshift settings a set 'automatically start timeshift after' and put in 5 seconds e.g.

Hope all this helps. It is a fairly straight forward process and should make sense when you start to go through it and the prompts pop up on the screen.

Thanks for the rewind tip TA!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 paulkeano

Hello, has anyone lost all Irish Channels? I've lost picture on RTE1, RTE2, TVE and TG4. Any ideas? They were all working up to a couple of days ago. All other channels are fine. P.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Old Jim

Haven't connected my unit to the internet yet. When I do, what online features are most useful? Can Netflix or the TV players be displayed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Old Jim wrote: »
    Haven't connected my unit to the internet yet. When I do, what online features are most useful? Can Netflix or the TV players be displayed?

Netflix no, unless anyone can tell me different. The RTE and TV3 players can be accessed via the OnDemand plugin along with a huge number of Internet radio streams

• Advertisement

Not in front of machine at the moment so will try from memory.

You will first want to back up your settings, this option will be in the same list where you do a software update.

From this link download the latest 5.0 image to you pc/laptop.

Plug a usb memory stick into your pc/laptop and unzip the downloaded file onto the usb stick, this should give you a file called 'update' on the root of the memory stick.

Turn off your OS3, with the switch at the back, and plug the memory stick into the front usb port of the box (if you have a usb plugged into the rear of the OS3 then unplug it). Now turn on the box and a screen should come up saying 'found new S/W', when this appears then press the channel - button on the front panel. This should now update the image on the box.

When this image is being updated you will be asked to confirm a few details like the type of connection you use, hdmi for example, and the resolution, 1080. You will be asked to select a language which you can do by pressing the red button. You can remove all other languages when asked if you like.

You will be asked do you want to restore your settings, click yes when this appears. You may also get a message asking if you want to restore any plugins you have, again just click yes.

After a few minutes you box should be updated to the latest image and you will be asked to remove the usb stick from the front to of the box and to restart your OS3. You can plug any usb's back into the rear of the box if you had any.

It will be a good idea to check that recording, epg's etc are pointing to where you want them saved.

To set the rewinding of live tv you will need to go into timeshift settings a set 'automatically start timeshift after' and put in 5 seconds e.g.

Hope all this helps. It is a fairly straight forward process and should make sense when you start to go through it and the prompts pop up on the screen.
    Fantastic, thanks for the detailed info! It worked and all was very easy to do! Delighted to now have up-to-date software, OnDemand player and rewind of live TV. If I could just find a simple plug-in to play video files from my home network I'd be sorted! Any suggestions appreciated!

Fantastic, thanks for the detailed info! It worked and all was very easy to do! Delighted to now have up-to-date software, OnDemand player and rewind of live TV. If I could just find a simple plug-in to play video files from my home network I'd be sorted! Any suggestions appreciated!

No problem. I think media player is loaded by default in openatv (using hdfreaks so can't remember) which should be able to play them. If you go into setup, system and then network then select mounts setup and then select network browser. There should be an option to scan or rescan your network which should list anything on your network which you can then add using any passwords etc that you have set. Once these are added exit back out and you can select the media player plugin and then browse the added network mounts and play any files you have. The mounts will be listed in the directory under media then autosf.

If that doesn't work you could go into plugins and download the vlc player. Once you have this downloaded you can add your network details into this and add it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jaydev

Hi all,

Could anyone tell me if this box advertises itself on the network when plugged into Ethernet, so that you can access it as a file server from a PC? (Samba)

I am trying to combine my Sumvision box and Combo and wondered if this would do the trick.
    I have about 700MB of content on my internal 1TB drive (in the Sumvision) that I would want to copy onto the OS3+.

The main use would be TV and watching/listening to the media (Photos, MP3 and MKV/AVI); but we also tend to want to drop new photos and audio onto it.

I guess we'd also use the internal HDD for recordings on occasion, but not very often.

Any help or guidance would really be appreciated.

jaydev wrote: »
    Hi all,

Could anyone tell me if this box advertises itself on the network when plugged into Ethernet, so that you can access it as a file server from a PC? (Samba)

I am trying to combine my Sumvision box and Combo and wondered if this would do the trick.
    I have about 700MB of content on my internal 1TB drive (in the Sumvision) that I would want to copy onto the OS3+.

The main use would be TV and watching/listening to the media (Photos, MP3 and MKV/AVI); but we also tend to want to drop new photos and audio onto it.

I guess we'd also use the internal HDD for recordings on occasion, but not very often.

Any help or guidance would really be appreciated.

Not sure of the samba side of things but what you want should be possible. I have the OS3 connected through wifi and can access anything on it through a laptop, pc or my mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭peking97

Expecting delivery of this box in the next couple of days and I intend to fit internal WD 500 GB HDD removed from laptop when SSD fitted. My question is though, do I need to format the HDD separately or will the OS3 initialize it when it (hopefully!) detects it has been fitted?

peking97 wrote: »
    Expecting delivery of this box in the next couple of days and I intend to fit internal WD 500 GB HDD removed from laptop when SSD fitted. My question is though, do I need to format the HDD separately or will the OS3 initialize it when it (hopefully!) detects it has been fitted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV-rKPYTUV8

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Partymack

Lads,

I have an Amiko Alien 2+ running OATV5. Really like the box but no doubting it is buggy and just guest have the necessary oomph under the bonnet to run sone of the plugins. So looking at the Optimiss 3+.

Can I ask, out of the box when you power it up what is the default operating system? With the Alien it's Spark which is unimpressive but stable and had excellent picture quality.

What is default OS on these boxes? CHEERS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Partymack wrote: »
    Lads,

I have an Amiko Alien 2+ running OATV5. Really like the box but no doubting it is buggy and just guest have the necessary oomph under the bonnet to run sone of the plugins. So looking at the Optimiss 3+.

Can I ask, out of the box when you power it up what is the default operating system? With the Alien it's Spark which is unimpressive but stable and had excellent picture quality.

Depends on who you buy it from, freetv.ie flash them (flashed mine) with a customised version of OpenATV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Lads,

This may be of interest to you and others on here .(Thanks to Deezel for spotting it)
    The OS1+ ,149€ and postage only 12 euro, wifi dongle thrown in.
    This is the plus version, twin sat tuner,1.3 Ghz processor,1GB of memory,256MB of Flash.
    https://abel.tv/optimuss-os1-plus-hd...l#.VazBass1iBZ

Seems to be very similar to the OS2+ but doesn't have a common interface and the lack of a front led display.Not major issues to be honest.
    Excellent value at 161 euro delivered .

• Advertisement

Zardoz wrote: »
    This may be of interest to you and others on here .(Thanks to Deezel for spotting it)
    The OS1+ ,149€ and postage only 12 euro, wifi dongle thrown in.
    This is the plus version, twin sat tuner,1.3 Ghz processor,1GB of memory,256MB of Flash.
    https://abel.tv/optimuss-os1-plus-hd...l#.VazBass1iBZ

Seems to be very similar to the OS2+ but doesn't have a common interface and the lack of a front led display.Not major issues to be honest.
    Excellent value at 161 euro delivered .

Thanks Zardoz,

I need the RF input though for Saorview and as I'm on Wexford I also pick up UL Freeview of my mast. I use the UK Mast signal as my second feed for UK channels when recording something on SAT. I don't use the second sat feed.

Btw.. Think your an AA 2 user - have you moved to the Optimuss and if so what's the general impression?

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Depends on who you buy it from, freetv.ie flash them (flashed mine) with a customised version of OpenATV.

Thanks Alias but I'm interested to know what it actually comes shipped with... Before Freetv (or whoever) flashe's it?

Anyone know ?

Thanks Alias but I'm interested to know what it actually comes shipped with... Before Freetv (or whoever) flashe's it?

Anyone know ?

The manufactures own website has Openatv 4.2 as a download so I would assume this will be the standard image that it ships with.

A lot have updated to 5.0 I think and another popular image is the HDFreaks one, which I am running myself. Both are Enigma 2 images which is the only one that these boxes run on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Thanks Zardoz,

I need the RF input though for Saorview and as I'm on Wexford I also pick up UL Freeview of my mast. I use the UK Mast signal as my second feed for UK channels when recording something on SAT. I don't use the second sat feed.

Btw.. Think your an AA 2 user - have you moved to the Optimuss and if so what's the general impression?

I have a Technomate Nano 3T which is the same receiver as the Optimuss OS3 plus but has a different bootloader.

I havent used the Nano 3T much but from what I have ,its a very nice receiver.
    Fast,stable,runs big plugins like TSMedia and Mediaportal much faster than the Alien 2 .
    For general tv browsing and viewing/switching channels there is very little difference between the receivers but recording is better on the Nano 3T and things like Crossepg runs faster and it boots in ~45 seconds.

The only drawback with the Nano 3T is the SD picture quality ,its not as good as the Alien 2,but few receivers are .
    For a Mips based receiver the picture quality is good, but I still have an Alien 2 as my primary receiver for the time being ,simply due to the fact that the SD picture on it is better than the Technomate and its noticeable on a 50 inch set.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭peking97

Is anyone else finding this OS3+ very unstable?
    I've got mine just about a week and I find I have to reboot it a number of times each day. So much so that it's almost unuseable! Also I note that the CPU temperature settles around 70 deg.. I would have thought that a bit on the high side? I'm actually thinking of returning it.
    Surely that can't be normal....or is it?

Had a lot of trouble with Open ATV 5 lately and my so sooking at trying the latest HD Freaks image but there are 4 listed all with the same date on them, anyone know what the difference's are?

http://images.hdfreaks.cc/optimussos3plus/

• Advertisement

superg wrote: »
    Had a lot of trouble with Open ATV 5 lately and my so sooking at trying the latest HD Freaks image but there are 4 listed all with the same date on them, anyone know what the difference's are?

http://images.hdfreaks.cc/optimussos3plus/
    The bottom one is newest. The date is in the name with the build number before it.

I've got mine just about a week and I find I have to reboot it a number of times each day. So much so that it's almost unuseable! Also I note that the CPU temperature settles around 70 deg.. I would have thought that a bit on the high side? I'm actually thinking of returning it.

Is your fan spinning? Mine wasn't for months until I investigated and found the wire feeding it was caught in the blades preventing them from spinning. I've had plenty of trouble with my box too but's its hard tot tell whether its the box or the ****ty images available for it. Every image I try i have issue's.

Next box I buy I'm just going all out for a Vu with well established firmware's.

What image are you running on the machine?

I know initially there was a few problems with them crashing etc. which seemed to be a combinations of the image itself and various plugins causing problems. I found the cooltv guide gave me trouble, so I removed it.

There does not seem to be as many problems since updating the image to the latest version of Openatv 5.0 or the HDFreaks 5.1 (although there server appears to be down at the moment). I have been running HDFreaks for the last number of weeks and I think it crashed once, down to an plugin I downloaded I'm assuming.

I would advise getting a copy of the latest image and flashing this onto the machine, there are instructions for this earlier in the thread, and do a clean install. I would also remove any plugins that you do not use, some are just duplicates of what the basic image can do anyway and not really required.

CPU temperature is about right, mine fluctuates around the 70deg. You can increase the fan speed in the settings.

The bottom one is newest. The date is in the name with the build number before it.

There's two dated 15/7/15 though. One with the number 121 in it and the other says 124 so there must be some difference.

superg wrote: »
    There's two dated 15/7/15 though. One with the number 121 in it and the other says 124 so there must be some difference.

Yeah the 124 one is the newer version probably with an extra update or two.

• Advertisement
Advertisement