Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Edision Optimuss OS 3 Plus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭peking97

THE ALM wrote: »
    What image are you running on the machine?

I would advise getting a copy of the latest image and flashing this onto the machine, there are instructions for this earlier in the thread, and do a clean install. I would also remove any plugins that you do not use, some are just duplicates of what the basic image can do anyway and not really required.

Well I was running the openATV 4.2 image from freetv.ie where I bought the box but I took your advice and loaded the HDFreaks 5.1 (124) image and it updated fine but when I came to the clean setting-up procedure it crashed, twice!
    Once during the DVB-T manual scan and again at some point during the second attempt...can't remember exactly.
    I'm beginning to wonder whether I've got a hardware problem on the box.
    Any ideas?:confused:

PS just noticed there is a ver 126 from HDF so maybe will try that next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭THE ALM

peking97 wrote: »
    Well I was running the openATV 4.2 image from freetv.ie where I bought the box but I took your advice and loaded the HDFreaks 5.1 (124) image and it updated fine but when I came to the clean setting-up procedure it crashed, twice!
    Once during the DVB-T manual scan and again at some point during the second attempt...can't remember exactly.
    I'm beginning to wonder whether I've got a hardware problem on the box.
    Any ideas?:confused:

PS just noticed there is a ver 126 from HDF so maybe will try that next.

Never had a problem with a scan. Do you clear before the first scan and then set it to NO to scan the second frequency?

I noticed there is a ver. 127 and I will be giving this a go in the next few days.

Do you clear before the first scan and then set it to NO to scan the second frequency?

Yes I do. I tried it again a second time last night and all ok so far...fingers crossed!

Looks like I spoke too soon....two more crashes this morning and now it looks like it's stuck in a bootloop! (if that's the correct term).
    Getting seriously frustrated with this box at this stage.
    Just as an aside why are there so many images for it?...when I check on OpenATV website there appears to be an image for almost every day of the week!...what's all that about?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Partymack

Looks like I spoke too soon....two more crashes this morning and now it looks like it's stuck in a bootloop! (if that's the correct term).
    Getting seriously frustrated with this box at this stage.
    Just as an aside why are there so many images for it?...when I check on OpenATV website there appears to be an image for almost every day of the week!...what's all that about?:confused:

I'm using AA2 with OATV5 and they do nightly upgrades which patch bugs found during the previous day and also to make tweeks and enhancements.

You can do a nightly upgrade of just the patches but I find it's better to just reflash to the full updated image once a month or so. That way instead of bolting on all the patches (patchwork quilt?) you have all the patches as part of the source code.

Any former AA2 users here who have upgraded to optimuss 3 and are happy with the decision? I'm tempted but prefer the look of the physical box the AA2 comes in and also like the fact if family are doing a lot of complaining I can always revert to boring old spark.

Thanks for the info...is there, by any chance, a Spark image for the OS3+ ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Partymack wrote: »
    I'm using AA2 with OATV5 and they do nightly upgrades which patch bugs found during the previous day and also to make tweeks and enhancements.

You can do a nightly upgrade of just the patches but I find it's better to just reflash to the full updated image once a month or so. That way instead of bolting on all the patches (patchwork quilt?) you have all the patches as part of the source code.

Any former AA2 users here who have upgraded to optimuss 3 and are happy with the decision? I'm tempted but prefer the look of the physical box the AA2 comes in and also like the fact if family are doing a lot of complaining I can always revert to boring old spark.

I have both boxes and as far as images go the AA2 is miles better. The Hyperion 4.5 image is bullet proof, haven't had many issues for months now but the box itself is painfully slow compared to the OS3+.

Thanks for the info...is there, by any chance, a Spark image for the OS3+ ?

No spark image for this box, just runs on emigma2.

Do you have any plugins installed?

Do you have an hdd/usb attached?

Where do you save epg data to?

Do you have two sat feeds and a soarview antenna connected?

I think if you download the latest openatv or hdfreaks image and unzip that onto a usb. Then in system settings do a factory reset.

I would then install whatever image you have downloaded and DO NOT restore any settings that may have been saved.

Before any channels are scanned can you go through menus etc. without the box crashing?

No spark image for this box, just runs on emigma2.

Do you have any plugins installed? Yes but just the ones that come as part of the image

Do you have an hdd/usb attached? Yes 2.5in WD internal 500GB SATA

Where do you save epg data to? HDD

Do you have two sat feeds and a soarview antenna connected? Yes. Two separate feeds from an octo LNB plus a UHF feed from Saorview antenna

I think if you download the latest openatv or hdfreaks image and unzip that onto a usb. Then in system settings do a factory reset.

I would then install whatever image you have downloaded and DO NOT restore any settings that may have been saved.

Before any channels are scanned can you go through menus etc. without the box crashing?

See my answers above. Will try as you suggest and revert.
    Thanks for all the help!

See my answers above. Will try as you suggest and revert.
    Thanks for all the help!

Similar set up to me with a wd internal drive only I save the EPG to a usb dongle plugged into the rear, don't think this should make any difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

superg wrote: »
    I have both boxes and as far as images go the AA2 is miles better. The Hyperion 4.5 image is bullet proof, haven't had many issues for months now but the box itself is painfully slow compared to the OS3+.

Its strange that the Optimuss images are so unstable.
    As I previously said I have the Technomate Nano 3T ,which is the same receiver but just a different bootloader and although I dont use it that often I havent had it crash yet even during setting it up.

Zardoz wrote: »
    Its strange that the Optimuss images are so unstable.
    As I previously said I have the Technomate Nano 3T ,which is the same receiver but just a different bootloader and although I dont use it that often I havent had it crash yet even during setting it up.

I've switched to HDfreaks now and all good so far after a couple of days constant use. No end of issues with OpenATV images both 4.2 and 5.0. Not many crashes as such but box freezing up and requiring a switch off to reset was the frequent one, I'd re flash to the latest image and still have that problem along with other ones like harddrive issues, then the latest image was constantly crashing on me. I hated OATV on the Alien too but its all that was viable on the OS3+ for a good while.

Fingers crossed for HDFreaks lasts the pace.

I've switched to HDfreaks now and all good so far after a couple of days constant use. No end of issues with OpenATV images both 4.2 and 5.0. Not many crashes as such but box freezing up and requiring a switch off to reset was the frequent one, I'd re flash to the latest image and still have that problem along with other ones like harddrive issues, then the latest image was constantly crashing on me. I hated OATV on the Alien too but its all that was viable on the OS3+ for a good while.

Fingers crossed for HDFreaks lasts the pace.

I have found the same and since switching to HDF I think I have had a problem once or twice.

Thanks Superg - I'm surprised there is such a thing as less stable than AA2!!

The extra speed of the box is tempting me tho - as you say the AA2 is very slow to do everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Partymack wrote: »
    Thanks Superg - I'm surprised there is such a thing as less stable than AA2!!

The extra speed of the box is tempting me tho - as you say the AA2 is very slow to do everything.

Your mistake was to keep using Openatv for so long on the Alien 2 .:)
    Openatv make good images in general but they have struggled with their images for the SH4 based receivers as opposed to Mips based receivers.
    The SH4 images are based on Graugans Yocto layer .

Hyperion images are far more stable and less bloated .
    A properly configured AA2 with a light skin is not slow for general tv viewing and channel browsing.
    Its slow to run larger plugins and multi tasking though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Similar set up to me with a wd internal drive only I save the EPG to a usb dongle plugged into the rear, don't think this should make any difference.

Read somewhere its better to save epg and picons to usb rather than hdd. It's saved the hdd from spinning all the time

Zardoz wrote: »
    Your mistake was to keep using Openatv for so long on the Alien 2 .:)
    Openatv make good images in general but they have struggled with their images for the SH4 based receivers as opposed to Mips based receivers.
    The SH4 images are based on Graugans Yocto layer .

Hyperion images are far more stable and less bloated .
    A properly configured AA2 with a light skin is not slow for general tv viewing and channel browsing.
    Its slow to run larger plugins and multi tasking though.

Yep I'd probably agree. I tried Hyperion (May have been one of your images) but I didn't like the look and feel, icons and general confusing nature of menus. Damned stable tho.

OATV ain't stable but nobody has Better look and feel and logical layout of menus. Ironically (being German) it is it's reliability that let's it down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

GY A1 wrote: »
    Read somewhere its better to save epg and picons to usb rather than hdd. It's saved the hdd from spinning all the time

The hard drive is only used to download the epg data, its then cached in internal memory to populate the guide.

Over a week now with HD freaks and zero problems, a welcome change from Open ATV.

And yes I am aware this post is the kiss of death to that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Over a week now with HD freaks and zero problems, a welcome change from Open ATV.

Can you please tell us what your exact setup is? ie. what version of all your plugins you have and where you have crossepg rinning from etc. I can't seem to go a couple of days without a hiccup so i'm going to start from scratch today.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

I have my crossepg downloading to the onboard hard drive once a day. Aside from the default plugins I've only added two others. Crossepg 0.8.1 and Cool tv guide 7.3.0 and I use Pli-HD skin. I learned a long time ago not to load these things up with loads of plugins. I use it for tv only. I have a HTPC running Kodi for everything else.

I don't update the image either unless I have trouble. There's updates every night but I'm not bothering cos it's all working. I'm also convinced the heat inside it was giving me HDD problems so I've put the fan onto 90% when the box is in use and I have it at 30% when in standby.

I have my crossepg downloading to the onboard hard drive once a day. Aside from the default plugins I've only added two others. Crossepg 0.8.1 and Cool tv guide 7.3.0 and I use Pli-HD skin. I learned a long time ago not to load these things up with loads of plugins. I use it for tv only. I have a HTPC running Kodi for everything else.

I don't update the image either unless I have trouble. There's updates every night but I'm not bothering cos it's all working. I'm also convinced the heat inside it was giving me HDD problems so I've put the fan onto 90% when the box is in use and I have it at 30% when in standby.

Thank you, yeah I'd be the same, these boxes are great but the less you have on them the better. Do you have crossepg pointed towards the onboard hdd or somewhere else?

Yes downloading to the onboard HDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Palmyra

I was having almost daily freezing on Open ATV 4.2, same on 5.0. I too have moved to HD Freaks just now. Fingers Crossed!
    Pat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭TM

So anybody know ... is it true or an urban legend that stuff like EPG, picons, other stuff (?) should be stored on USB flash rather than internal HDD?
    From recent posts here it sounds like it's OK to just store everything on the internal HDD?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Irreverent

I have been using Openatv for a couple of months now. It freezes up occasionally but for the most part it's been ok. I am going to try HD Freaks this weekend and I just have a few questions.

1) Can you keep you Autobouquets intact when moving from one image to another?

2) Can you still get the very handy web interface for editing channels etc when you move to HD Freaks?

3) I have a weird problem with my recording occasionally vanishing and then re-appearing on the recordings list when using Openatv. Does this happen to anyone else in either image? I suspect it might be my HDD unmounting and remounting or some such problem.

4) Like the previous poster asked, is there any benefit to storing picons, epg data etc on a thumb drive?

Thanks in advance to anybody who can answer these questions.

Irreverent wrote: »
    I have been using Openatv for a couple of months now. It freezes up occasionally but for the most part it's been ok. I am going to try HD Freaks this weekend and I just have a few questions.

2) Can you still get the very handy web interface for editing channels etc when you move to HD Freaks?

3) I have a weird problem with my recording occasionally vanishing and then re-appearing on the recordings list when using Openatv. Does this happen to anyone else in either image? I suspect it might be my HDD unmounting and remounting or some such problem.

4) Like the previous poster asked, is there any benefit to storing picons, epg data etc on a thumb drive?

Autobouquets will have to be installed manually because its not in the HD freaks feeds. My friend has the plus 2 and he also has the vanishing hard drive situation, usually putting the box to deep standby and powering it down, then restarting it makes it show up again. Its best to save picons to USB to save on hard drive ware, for EPG the data is just downloaded to USB or hard drive. After that the programming data is cached by the internal flash so it doesn't really matter if you use the hard drive to download it to.

1) You'll be doing a clean install of the image so you start from scratch so you re do your bouquets too.

2) Yes open Webif is still there.

3) I had loads of HDD issues with Open ATV including the one you mention. I've had no issues whatsoever with HDfreaks.

4) I've always stored them on HDD on both my Amiko Alien 2+ and my OS3+, no problems.

There is an alternative to Autobouquets E2 included in the HDfreaks feed called Autobouquet maker. When you install it, it shows up in the 'Service searching' Menu rather than the plugins menu. It was there in the Open ATV feed too. Its the one I use. I only use Autobouquets E2 on my Alien.

Thanks redbellied and superg for your help. I'm set up and all looking ok so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dherbage

Hi,
    I have just got a new Edision Optimuss OS3 Plus and would like to know if anyone out there has any information on how to configure it, also how do I load an N Line on to it?
    Thanks, Derek.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭bored_stupid

Here is the new Open atv 5.1 if anybody like to test .
    http://images3.mynonpublic.com/openatv/5.1/index.php?open=optimussos3plus

http://www.opena.tv/forum352/?

Regards
    bored_stupid

Is anyone here using a 3.5" harddrive in one of these? Reason I ask is I'm on the lookout for a new hdd as the one I had in it packed in and their seems to be a few good deals on the 3.5" ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Is anyone here using a 3.5" harddrive in one of these? Reason I ask is I'm on the lookout for a new hdd as the one I had in it packed in and their seems to be a few good deals on the 3.5" ones.

Only 2.5" with out serious butchery or putting it in an external HDD case and connecting by USB

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thegreek

I had an Amiko Alien and I was constantly updating the OS and trying different things. Since I got the Optimuss I updated once in 3 months.

I have to say I am really happy with it. Went a bit mad last night and clicked on software update. I had a new image ready to go in case it went badly but surprisingly it went really well. Still running OpenATV on 4.2. There is no pressing need to change as it is all working really well.

thegreek wrote: »
    I had an Amiko Alien and I was constantly updating the OS and trying different things. Since I got the Optimuss I updated once in 3 months.

I have to say I am really happy with it. Went a bit mad last night and clicked on software update. I had a new image ready to go in case it went badly but surprisingly it went really well. Still running OpenATV on 4.2. There is no pressing need to change as it is all working really well.

Well all I can say is Lucky You! because my experience was totally at odds with yours. I had this box for a little over a week and had nothing but trouble as regards stability using both the OpenATV and HDFreaks images. I did work it fairly hard as regards recordings etc. (for test purposes) but on a few occasions it even locked-up while just watching a channel with no recording taking place. I'm wondering now was it perhaps a hardware fault on the unit.
    All I really wanted was a way of combining the EPG's for Saorview and Freesat channels and when it worked it was good but let down by poor stability.
    However, I'll keep an eye on this thread and would consider buying this or a similar box again in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭techdiver

I was considering getting this box to replace my amiko alien 2+, but from reading this thread and having owned an Amiko Alien 2+, it seems the common denominator of problem is the software (enigma2).

I was told the reason enigma2 was so unstable on the alien was because it was ported across from a different processor platform, but since the OS3 has the chipset that enigma2 is designed for, it leads me to believe that my first assertion was correct about enigma2 being a very poor unstable piece of software.

I've been using Spark on my Alien 2 since without any major issues. It's a pity as enigma2 has some nice features and a better interface, but it's not worth the babysitting that's involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

techdiver wrote: »
    I was considering getting this box to replace my amiko alien 2+, but from reading this thread and having owned an Amiko Alien 2+, it seems the common denominator of problem is the software (enigma2).

I was told the reason enigma2 was so unstable on the alien was because it was ported across from a different processor platform, but since the OS3 has the chipset that enigma2 is designed for, it leads me to believe that my first assertion was correct about enigma2 being a very poor unstable piece of software.

I have an enigma 2 image installed on one of my receivers. (Gigablue quad) since Dec 2013. I have not updated it since. Its running perfectly........

Yeah my alien is running largely without trouble on the same image I out on it about 4 months ago. Took me a long time to get the OS3 to the same stable state but it's there now so I'm leaving it alone.

Understand the frustrations though, if I buy another box I'll probably go for a Vu+ as you'd expect the images to be far more stable on those. Pricey though.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭MYSTICA1

Hello, I downloaded latest HDF image a few days ago. One thing I had customised with the OpenAtv image was to use the right/ left buttons for fast forward & rewind during recording play-back (much easier when remote is in your hand than looking for the FF RW buttons at the bottom of the remote) I can't seem to get this set up again in HDF image. (I think the Hot Key set-up is for normal TV rather than play-back?) Could anybody give me some direction on how to do this? Thanks!

MYSTICA1 wrote: »
    Hello, I downloaded latest HDF image a few days ago. One thing I had customised with the OpenAtv image was to use the right/ left buttons for fast forward & rewind during recording play-back (much easier when remote is in your hand than looking for the FF RW buttons at the bottom of the remote) I can't seem to get this set up again in HDF image. (I think the Hot Key set-up is for normal TV rather than play-back?) Could anybody give me some direction on how to do this? Thanks!

From memory it is under settings/devices. You can select remote and change the keys. I know I changed a few around so it is there somewhere.

• Advertisement

Will have to say that I am running trouble free also on the hdfreaks image. The plugin that gives me most trouble (don't use it too much) is kodi direct although I think this is mainly due to the connection through wifi and not having the greatest broadband signal (midband really).

Might give the openatv 5.1 a go, that is only because I am a gluten for punishment.

From memory it is under settings/devices. You can select remote and change the keys. I know I changed a few around so it is there somewhere.

Long press the red button will also bring up the hot keys.

Well that is openatv 5.1 loaded, will see how this goes!!!

Well that is openatv 5.1 loaded, will see how this goes!!!

What link did you use to download? I tried loading 5.1 from the link on the last page and it is stuck in a boot loop.

What link did you use to download? I tried loading 5.1 from the link on the last page and it is stuck in a boot loop.

This is the one I used here

Yeah it wouldn't work when I tried to update with my old settings. I had to do a fresh install and re-do auto bouquets etc. it's working fine now. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Hi all,

I'm considering getting this receiver (or something similar). Where I plan to install it I have already installed 2 cables but need the dish+aerial installed. Will this be enough for the sat channels and saorview? Will 2 cables limit the recording capabilities?

Thanks

W.

I'm considering getting this receiver (or something similar). Where I plan to install it I have already installed 2 cables but need the dish+aerial installed. Will this be enough for the sat channels and saorview? Will 2 cables limit the recording capabilities?
    My understanding is that you really need three cables for full functionality.
    2 feeds from a dual LNB on the dish and one from the Saorview aerial.
    If you only have 1 sat feed then I think that you can only watch and record one channel (or watch one channel and record another but only if they are the same polarisation or something like that?). With 2 you can watch one and record any other one. Does that make sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Thanks,

Can I use a combiner/splitter to transmit the Saorview signal to the receiver on one of the sat cable feeds?

W.

• Advertisement

Can I use a combiner/splitter to transmit the Saorview signal to the receiver on one of the sat cable feeds?
    I'm not sure but why would you do that?

Advertisement