Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holidays in Donegal

Options
  • 04-01-2015 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi, I've been in Donegal a few times but my husband has never and now we have a toddler, so I'm thinking for summer hols for a week maybe there would be nice.....Could anywhere recommend a nice area in Donegal that would be suitable for a break away with a toddler, prob would be for a wk so maybe somewhere with the beach / pool near by would be super. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

zsha wrote: »
    Hi, I've been in Donegal a few times but my husband has never and now we have a toddler, so I'm thinking for summer hols for a week maybe there would be nice.....Could anywhere recommend a nice area in Donegal that would be suitable for a break away with a toddler, prob would be for a wk so maybe somewhere with the beach / pool near by would be super. Thanks

Someone more local may be able to advise, but is the adventure centre still going on the Belleak Road. You would also benefit from nearby pool in Ballyshannon, and beach in Rosnowlagh, and Bundoran. Also indoor waterpark in Bundoran if going in the summer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This is worth a read and dont forget to click on the links posted in that thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zsha

Brilliant thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

Would you be aiming for the North/South of the county?
    South
    The Sandhouse hotel in Rossnowlagh seems to be going well lately, right on the beach, about 10mins drive to Ballyshannon with a 25m pool although Waterworld in Bundoran 5mins further on would be good for a toddler.
    if you wanted to go to sligo, Mullaghmore & the Gleniff horseshoe, W.B Yeats grave in drumcliff, Lissadel house is only another few minutes.

10mins north, Donegal town has the mill park & central hotels with their own small pools. More upmarket Solis Lough Eske Castle also has a pool but is a bit outside the town.
    From there it would be around an hour to Sliabh Liag, Glencolmcille & Silverstrand beach a bit more, Killybegs with the fishing boats & Glengesh pass closer, 30mins from town. Baskins Cafe in Dunkineeley would be highly recommended, Get a takeaway and nip out to St. Johns point for a picnic. All doable in a day.
    Letterkenny about 45mins to the north, Derry 1hr15
    il let someone else offer the north of the county!

All brilliant info, I suppose I'd be thinking the North of the county as would love to make a day of it and take in The Giants Causeway and Carrick a rede when we'd be up that far. As my husband has never done any of these things and they are just so beautiful its a shame not to see them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭shuffle65

Ardara/Portnoo area, beautiful beach in Narin, very family friendly area...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

What about Inishowen There you have Buncrana with miles of beaches also its only about 25mins from Derry.
    The hotels are The Inishowen Gateway The Harbour and the Lake of Shadows all very good and reasonably priced

Also there is Ballyliffen Moville Malin and Culdaff where there are beaches everywhere you turn .You could also visit Malin Head Irelands most Northerly point. And not forgetting Mamore Gap .in Clonmany

Hope this gives you a wee idea about Inishowen

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Downings to stay with beaches pool and a large toddler And indoor play area for the wet days. Loads of places to eat around Rathmullen ,Portsalon, Carrigart, Dunfanaghy, Fanad.
    lots to see and do. From walking to cycling or just sightseeing. I know of some self catering houses in the area with small kid play areas too. Lovely places.

Thanks so much, I never knew Donegal had so many places!! Downings sounds exactly what I'm looking for with the pool in the town and the beaches around but its so so far up, is there anywhere like that nearer to letterkenny maybe??
    So hard to know. Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 33,625 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Another vote for Inishowen here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

NIMAN wrote: »
    Another biased vote for Inishowen here.
    FYP :P

satstheway wrote: »
    Downings to stay with beaches pool and a large toddler And indoor play area for the wet days. Loads of places to eat around Rathmullen ,Portsalon, Carrigart, Dunfanaghy, Fanad.
    lots to see and do. From walking to cycling or just sightseeing. I know of some self catering houses in the area with small kid play areas too. Lovely places.

Could you please give me the name or links to the houses you talk about. It would be great Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭malibu4u

overshoot wrote: »
    The Sandhouse hotel in Rossnowlagh seems to be going well lately, right on the beach, about 10mins drive to Ballyshannon with a 25m pool although Waterworld in Bundoran 5mins further on would be good for a toddler.
    if you wanted to go to sligo, Mullaghmore & the Gleniff horseshoe, W.B Yeats grave in drumcliff, Lissadel house is only another few minutes.

great choice, we holidayed in south Donegal last year and loved it. Great base for travelling. Weather made it. As you mention Rossnowlagh, there is a pub restaurant on the cliff overlooking the beach worth checking out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Could you please give me the name or links to the houses you talk about. It would be great Thanks

http://www.donegalcottageholidays.com is a great site with lots of self catering rentals on it.

I can't recommend the Dunfanaghy area enough. Speaking from years of holidaying there when I was a kid and now with family with small kids. There's so much to do and if the weather is bad you're only about 30 minutes from Letterkenny and there's a pool in Downings which is only about 15 minutes away.

If you're looking to go to the Giant's Causeway or anywhere like that you'd be better off, as many have suggested, on the Inishowen side of the county. That website above covers the whole county.

That's great thanks. I have been looking at Donegal cottages website and am finding lots of possible places ðŸ˜
    I really never thought or realised Donegal was so large. While I did say about travelling over to the Antrim coast originally, the other side of Donegal seems to be winning me over at the minute. I'm loving the sound of downings but finding it hard to find acc actually in the town or within walking distance,everything seems to be a bit outside it.
    Also all the smaller villages around there all seem to be winning me over, and the fact you're never that far away from letterkenny.
    thank you all who replied, and please keep advising, I am checking out everything that is suggested. Thanks again

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

That's great thanks. I have been looking at Donegal cottages website and am finding lots of possible places ðŸ˜
    I really never thought or realised Donegal was so large. While I did say about travelling over to the Antrim coast originally, the other side of Donegal seems to be winning me over at the minute. I'm loving the sound of downings but finding it hard to find acc actually in the town or within walking distance,everything seems to be a bit outside it.
    Also all the smaller villages around there all seem to be winning me over, and the fact you're never that far away from letterkenny.
    thank you all who replied, and please keep advising, I am checking out everything that is suggested. Thanks again

One negative about Downings is that cars are allowed on the main beach. Doesn't bother some but I personally hate it.
    The beaches at Dunfanaghy, Marble Hill and in Ards Forest Park are all much nicer. If you've only got one little kid though they're only going to be playing in the sand or dipping toes so any beach will do :)

Advertisement