Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet TV

Options
  • 04-01-2015 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi What the best type of dongle to use on the tv which gives good fast basic internet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

bazmc35 wrote: »
    Hi What the best type of dongle to use on the tv which gives good fast basic internet

Confusing question. Do you mean a wifi dongle, or something else which provides internet to your tv, or something which will provide a streaming service to your tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bazmc35

Something like the links i provided earlier. For a streaming service is that "chrome-cast" dose that just pair with your phone and use it on the tv?
    Basically its for my parents to use needs to be easily used and just for internet and youtube, with no downloading of movies or should i just get a cheap tablet instead

Something like a roku or apple tv might be more suitable for non techie parents. A simple interface is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Really sounds like a chromecast would do the job for your parents. Why aren't you interested in a chromecast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Can anyone say in their experience or knowledge what is the top of the range Internet Provider set top box on the market at present that can be used with a high internet speed.

A broad range of channels, including Irish is essential as this box will be used in Spain in conjunction with a Movistar broadband fixed line !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    Can anyone say in their experience or knowledge what is the top of the range Internet Provider set top box on the market at present that can be used with a high internet speed.

A broad range of channels, including Irish is essential as this box will be used in Spain in conjunction with a Movistar broadband fixed line !

As far as I know Irish channels are only legally available in Ireland.

Saorview Connect

On 20 January 2016 RTÉ announced that it had partnered with Freesat, the UK free-to-air television company, to develop a new product for Saorview, Ireland’s free digital television service and the largest television platform in Ireland.This follows a previously announced intention to develop a new hybrid offering for Saorview. The Saorview Connect offering will allow customers to connect a new type of receiver to their home broadband. The service will feature advanced functionality including online services, a backwards EPG, access to content recommendations, a newly designed remote control and a mobile app.

I cannot see how this service could be illegal in the UK, taking into consideration that all the UK Free to Air Channels, i.e. BBC etc. are freely available in Ireland.

http://www.daltontv.ie/2016/03/15/new-saorview-connect-service/

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Chromecast, Apple TV, or Amzaon firestick

Chromecast, Apple TV, or Amzaon firestick

Kino is making a big name for itself lately.

• Advertisement
Advertisement