Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to go Doctor

Options
  • 04-01-2015 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi all, Just another lurker here. Have posted once or twice but more read for advice and tips.
    We got married two years ago and have been off the pill just prior to wedding so have been TTC since but I'd say have been really doing it "properly" the last 6 months.
    Have the fertility monitor and basal thermometer now the last 3 months and they have been up and down. Reached peak first month and not the 2nd!

Finally think it's time to go to see my GP to see if there is something stopping us from success.

Anyone any tips or advice on what I should expect or ask for when visiting GP?

Thanks in advance x

Comments

I first visited my GP, on my own. Second visit, brought Husband. She ran basic checks on us both, blood pressure, full blood tests, etc. Discussed my cycle and if we were taking temperature readings. She recommended a specific thermomoter and chart and talked us through temperature readings. She discussed our lifestyles and any worries we might have had. She then referred us to Fertility Clinic in our local Maternity Hospital. Found her very approachable. If you have any specific questions, write them down in case you forget!
    Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

She recommended a specific thermomoter and chart

Could you share the name/type of thermometer please? I think it's time we started monitoring temp too. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Hi Annie,

When you go to see your doctor they will ask how long you have been trying, they recommend 1 year of you are under 35 or 6mths if you are over.

If you have no other medical history they will do day 3 and day 21 bloods test on you (day 3 is the third day after your period begins and day 21 is 7 days after your ovulate - in a standard 28 day cylce this will occur on day 21 but if your cycle is longer shorter it will vary). They will also check for rubella (in the first blood test).

Your other half will have a Semen Analysis, this is normally done in a different venue (we had our first in the Rotunda and the second in our clinic).

They will also cover the basic, no smoking, reducing alcohol, being in the best shape, physically and mentally (stress can be a big factor).

After you get the results if there is nothing jumping out you will be refered, your GP may already have a clinic they use or may ask you where you want to be refereed, you also have the public / private option

Hope this help pet x

Advertisement