Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naps for a one year old

Options
  • 04-01-2015 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how many naps your kids take and for how long. When did you phase out one or more naps? My almost 14 month old usually has two hour to hour and half long ones. Over the christmas she wasn't waking so early because we weren't bustling round getting ready for work and she skipped one and took an extra long afternoon nap instead (2 hours give or take). Just curious did you wait for your kids to refuse to sleep or did you initiate the change based on other signals?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

kandr10 wrote: »
    Just wondering how many naps your kids take and for how long. When did you phase out one or more naps? My almost 14 month old usually has two hour to hour and half long ones. Over the christmas she wasn't waking so early because we weren't bustling round getting ready for work and she skipped one and took an extra long afternoon nap instead (2 hours give or take). Just curious did you wait for your kids to refuse to sleep or did you initiate the change based on other signals?

Sounds just like our almost 13 month old :) Her sleep pattern has changed completely over the past 10 days. She used to take 2 x 1.5 to 2 hour nap during the day(one about 2 hours after waking and one late afternoon). She has now started sleeping through the night (fingers crossed :eek:) and now takes 1 longer nap from about 12pm to 2.45pm. I had been told that this would happen and it has just seemed to happen naturally with no interference from us - she is in great form too :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Soooky wrote: »
    Sounds just like our almost 13 month old :) Her sleep pattern has changed completely over the past 10 days. She used to take 2 x 1.5 to 2 hour nap during the day(one about 2 hours after waking and one late afternoon). She has now started sleeping through the night (fingers crossed :eek:) and now takes 1 longer nap from about 12pm to 2.45pm. I had been told that this would happen and it has just seemed to happen naturally with no interference from us - she is in great form too :D:D

That sounds identical alright :)
    I'm going to have a look this week with us getting up a bit earlier and see if she still gravitates towards the one nap. Tbh it'd be better because it tended to be a nice long one! Madam will decide I suppose :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

We're going through the transition to one nap with my ten and a half month old. I'm pushing it a bit because it's summer holidays (NZ) and it's hard to get out to do activities, beach etc with the other kids if he's napping twice a day. I'm not sure if you're doing it already but something that I find that helps is to formalise a mid morning snack around the time he's usually going down for the first nap. I normally set out a platter and let him pick at them in his highchair while I do jobs in the kitchen. It keeps him occupied for a while and gives him a little energy boost to keep him going, then have lunch maybe two hours later and get him down straight after.

They're all different though- my daughter transitioned to one long nap at 6months as her brother was so boisterous it was hard for her to sleep mid morning. She'd wait til he went to sleep after lunch then nap most of the afternoon. She used to sleep in in the mornings til about 9am which was possible before the school run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    We're going through the transition to one nap with my ten and a half month old. I'm pushing it a bit because it's summer holidays (NZ) and it's hard to get out to do activities, beach etc with the other kids if he's napping twice a day. I'm not sure if you're doing it already but something that I find that helps is to formalise a mid morning snack around the time he's usually going down for the first nap. I normally set out a platter and let him pick at them in his highchair while I do jobs in the kitchen. It keeps him occupied for a while and gives him a little energy boost to keep him going, then have lunch maybe two hours later and get him down straight after.

They're all different though- my daughter transitioned to one long nap at 6months as her brother was so boisterous it was hard for her to sleep mid morning. She'd wait til he went to sleep after lunch then nap most of the afternoon. She used to sleep in in the mornings til about 9am which was possible before the school run.

That's a great idea with the snack. I'd usually give it after the nap but makes sense to do it in that time. I'd say you probably go with the flow a good bit more when you've a few kids especially with school runs and pick ups and such :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

kandr10 wrote: »
    I'd say you probably go with the flow a good bit more when you've a few kids especially with school runs and pick ups and such :)

I actually think that it makes you have more structure- when my first was little I let the transition happen naturally- now I'm trying to get a balance between everyone's needs so I'm encouraging him to change his sleeping pattern. The really galling thing was when he was a newborn and a really poor and erratic day sleeper and I'd have to wake him up from a nap to do school pick up. So frustrating when all you want is for them to have some rest!

• Advertisement
Advertisement