Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal Science or Equine Science

Options
  • 04-01-2015 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey guys so I'm an 18 year old (19 in June) leaving cert student who as most of you know will mean my Cao is due to be filled out relatively soon. I am so confused as to what course is for me. I have always wanted to do veterinary but unfortunately Its looking unlikely with regards to points. I was hoping to try the graduate entry route to UCD.

So what really would love some information on the courses. I have worked on a farm since I was a toddler and know the ins and outs of Cattle and everything about them ( I was never really into the machinery part of the farming scene) About 10 years go we started working with horses and I've been riding for 7 years now and have achieved quite a bit. But I don't know which course to do. Animal science seems like a course that would provide me with more knowledge if I decided to go into veterinary bit on the other hand If i did not get into veterinary I would prefer to work with horses. It has me so confused especially because Animal science is 465 and Equine is 425 so If if put both down Animal Science will have to be number 1.

Any info on the courses and personal thoughts on it would be very much appreciated from a panicky Leaving Cert

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

Hi,
    If you really do want to do veterinary, I would not be depending on graduate entry. So many people do animal science, or equine science, thinking that they will be able to do veterinary after a couple of years. This is simply not true. I know a girl who was exceptionally lucky. She did animal science as she couldn't get the points for veterinary (as well as lots of other people in her year) but hoped to go down the graduate route. After a few years in animal science, some students decided to stick with it and not go for the graduate entry, but 10 students in the year had their hearts set on vet med. There was only one place. They had to submit applications showing all their experience working in veterinary practices ect which were ferociously competitive, and they also needed to have exceptionally high grades in all their animal science exams. Only one girl (the one I know) got the place, after spending so much time on her application (she did an unbelievable amount of work experience and worked really hard) and the 9 others were left with no choice but to continue animal science, which they didn't even want to do.

My point is, the amount of work spent trying to get the graduate entry far exceeds the amount of work needed to get 585 points in the LC. If you don't think you'll get the points for vet med this year, you would be so much better off repeating.

Also, are you aware that students that are lucky to get graduate entry have to spend €20,000 per year on fees? This is €100,000 over the 5 years. Whereas you only have to pay registration fees (~€2500 per year) if you get into it from your Leaving Cert results.

Best of luck :) I am also hoping to do veterinary medicine!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

I know people in Budapest and they are getting on well doing vet studies.

Advertisement