Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC - need help to transfer family photo's and video's etc from old PC

• 04-01-2015 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for some help to transfer a large volume (500 GB) of family photo's and video's etc from an old Dell Inspiron PC running Win 7 to a new Win 8.1 PC with a 2TB HDD.

I have a Win 7 data transfer cable like this http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F5U279-Easy-Transfer/dp/B002PAR0AQ knocking around in my office somewhere but Wikipedia reckons it won't work with Win 8.1 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Easy_Transfer.

What's the best way to go? I guess I could put both machines on my home network and just drag and drop?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

BenEadir wrote: »

What's the best way to go? I guess I could put both machines on my home network and just drag and drop?

Cheers.

This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

This.

Cheers.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

If you want to migrate the machine's existing setup & accounts, you should be able to use Windows Easy Transfer to create a migration file for the existing accounts & data on 7. Then copy the file to the new machine, import it in Easy Transfer and you're done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Fysh wrote: »
    If you want to migrate the machine's existing setup & accounts, you should be able to use Windows Easy Transfer to create a migration file for the existing accounts & data on 7. Then copy the file to the new machine, import it in Easy Transfer and you're done.
    Thanks Fysh, all I wanted to do is transfer a large folder of family photo's and video's etc. About 200GB worth.

Connecting the old PC back onto the home network allowed me to drag and drop them into newly created folders on Dropbox on the new PC. IT only took an hour or so to transfer them but it's going to take days for them to sync up to Dropbox.

The only issue I had was that increasing the size of the data on my 1TB Dropbox account from 55 GB to 255 GB would create a problem with my SSD based laptop which only has 128 GB of space but I figured out how to use "Selective Sync" on Dropbox so only my work files sync to my laptop. all the personal stuff (and all the work stuff) will sync to the home PC.

Cheers.

Advertisement