Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend 300GB online backup/storage for family photo's and video's etc?

Options
  • 04-01-2015 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I use Dropbox for all my work files and sync them to my work PC, laptop and home PC. I have a Pro 1TB account with them but only use 60GB or so for work. I'd be happy to sync my family photo's and video's etc to the same account if it was possible to designate that the "Family" folder should only be sync'd to the family PC and not the work PC and work laptop but I can't see a way to do that.

I previously used Carbonite to backup the family stuff but I find the restore process quite cumbersome so I'm looking for something more akin to Dropbox. The One Drive option of 200GB for $48 a year is about what I want to pay but 200 GB isn't enough whilst a 2nd Dropbox account is $120 a year and that's twice the $60 I pay Carbonite for unlimited backup space.

Is there a viable alternative for around the $50-$60 a year mark or am I better off sticking with Carbonite for the family stuff?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭long_b

BenEadir wrote: »
    Hi all,

I use Dropbox for all my work files and sync them to my work PC, laptop and home PC. I have a Pro 1TB account with them but only use 60GB or so for work. I'd be happy to sync my family photo's and video's etc to the same account if it was possible to designate that the "Family" folder should only be sync'd to the family PC and not the work PC and work laptop but I can't see a way to do that.

I previously used Carbonite to backup the family stuff but I find the restore process quite cumbersome so I'm looking for something more akin to Dropbox. The One Drive option of 200GB for $48 a year is about what I want to pay but 200 GB isn't enough whilst a 2nd Dropbox account is $120 a year and that's twice the $60 I pay Carbonite for unlimited backup space.

Is there a viable alternative for around the $50-$60 a year mark or am I better off sticking with Carbonite for the family stuff?

Carbonite is backup, not syncing.
    Yoyos an set Dropbox to only sync certain folders on each PC - it's called "selective syncing"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

long_b wrote: »
    Carbonite is backup, not syncing.
    Yoyos an set Dropbox to only sync certain folders on each PC - it's called "selective syncing"

Cheers, never knew selective syncing existed. That's the perfect solution.

Result!

Advertisement