Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheapest way to get to Barcelona

• 04-01-2015 9:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭

I am planning to go over to Barcelona during the end of March. Being a student, flights would be a bit out of my price range. Not saying that they are out of the question but would prefer a cheaper option.

Would I be better off traveling to the North of France/England on a flight and then getting a bus or train down to Barcelona? Wouldn't mind the travel time. Would actually enjoy getting a bit of travel experience. Or even a ship that goes to Spain? Anyone ever done this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭lc180

You can get return flight from around €70 euro, how much cheaper are you thinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

lc180 wrote: »
    You can get return flight from around €70 euro, how much cheaper are you thinking?

Where? the cheapest I seen was 155e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭lc180

deadybai wrote: »
    Where? the cheapest I seen was 155e

Skyscanner.com is your friend when it comes to finding the cheapest fares. You seems to be flexible with your travel plans, you should be able to find something that suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Aer Lingus will drop you a lot closer than Ryanair, you can pop straight onto a Metro train into the center saving time and money compared to a Ryanair flight to Reus or Girona as well.

Can't imagine going by land will be any cheaper. Before Aer Lingus became a low fares airline I used to go Ryanair Dublin to London and Easyjet London to Barcelona, can't imagine there's enough savings for it to be worthwhile these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Ryanair fly directly into El Prat. Use their Fare Finder function to find the cheapest flights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I got flights recently with Ryanair to Barcelona el part for around 75 euros. Aerobus straight to the city centre, las ramblas for 9 euros I think it was. I wouldnt even consider anything else for double the money. You say you don't mind the travel experience but wait til your on a bus or train for 8-10 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

bohsman wrote: »
    Aer Lingus will drop you a lot closer than Ryanair, you can pop straight onto a Metro train into the center saving time and money compared to a Ryanair flight to Reus or Girona as well.

Can't imagine going by land will be any cheaper. Before Aer Lingus became a low fares airline I used to go Ryanair Dublin to London and Easyjet London to Barcelona, can't imagine there's enough savings for it to be worthwhile these days.

RY added 2 flights daily to El Prat from Dublin since you moved a few years ago. (hope things are well)

Flying is likely the cheapest way if you take into account extra expenses like food on the ferry/bus routes which won't be that cheap anyway.
    Slunk wrote: »
    Aerobus straight to the city centre, las ramblas for 9 euros I think it was.
    You can get a T10 (10 journey) in the station at El Prat for the dirt cheap price of €10.30 which is even better value and should take care of most travel needs.

OP if you are a smoker or have some smoker friends, you can offset some of your travel costs as a pack of 200 cigs is around €45 in Barcelona and €100 here. You can bring in 800 with no hassle and even more if you can prove they are for own consumption and that's if customs even bother. Paid for my accommodation last time by doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭grimm2005

As others have said, flights will be the handiest and most likely cheapest way to get there. Ryanair return flights start at €40 in the winter and €60 in summer. I went for €60 on a Wednesday to Sunday trip at the beginning of last May. Airport is very close to the city and there's bus and rail links. Airport bus will have you in city centre in about 20mins for €9 return. 20th to 24th March is currently €66 return for example, or €50 for 22nd to 26th March.

Advertisement