Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Not another) Considering moving to Ireland thread

Options
  • 04-01-2015 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Ok... just after general advice on locations in the south or west of Ireland. We are a young(ish) family with 3 kids (13, 10 and 4). I am thankfully NOT looking for any work in Ireland. I have a job where i work overseas. I've got to an age now that night clubs, trendy sports bars and being near city centres no longer interest me in the slightest. Open countryside, mountain or coastal walks and clean air do! My father is Irish and always talking about moving back when he retires. Although he's advising places in Kerry like Caherdaniel and Killarney. That might be a little too remote for me. I need to be able to commute to an airport (1-2 hr drive max) so i can fly to the UK to get flight connections. So i was thinking West Cork (Kinsale, Clonakilty, Bantry).

Towns that have excellent schools, shops, cafes, sports facilities, swimming pools, cinema play areas and skate parks (for the older boys) would be great!!! I seriously doubt there is any towns (let alone cities) in Ireland that have all that - there aren't that many in the UK, but I live in hope...

One of the other main motivations is that my wife has to work full time here in the UK to help pay the mortgage. By selling up in the UK i could pay off our mortgage and have a large chunk of equity to buy a house mortgage free Ireland (with of course the exception of Dublin) with some land for the kids to get off the xbox and play outside.. I do understand some living costs would be higher (the euro is a killer) in Ireland compared with the UK. But with no mortgage i can accept paying twice the amount for a pint of milk etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

FrodVegas wrote: »
    We are a young(ish) family with 3 kids (13, 10 and 4). I've got to an age now that night clubs, trendy sports bars and being near city centres no longer interest me in the slightest. Open countryside, mountain or coastal walks and clean air do!.

Well your kids will be getting to the age soon where they will be interested in night clubs and trendy sports bars!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 FrodVegas

Well your kids will be getting to the age soon where they will be interested in night clubs and trendy sports bars!

Yes i had even consider that ;).. problem is if i make it too easy for them, the'll never move out either. I have friends in this situation. If my children aspire to that, they can move to any city they want when there 18. Escaping from a small town/village was enough motivation for me (work) and my wife (university) when we were both that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If I was you, I'd focus on locating excellent schools, and then places to live based on that. Schools in some towns are excellent, other not so much. A&P may not be the best forum for that discussion - maybe one of the education ones.

Also, is your wife looking to give up her career totally, or would she be looking for part time or freelance work? That may have some bearing, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

FrodVegas wrote: »
    Towns that have excellent schools, shops, cafes, sports facilities, swimming pools, cinema play areas and skate parks (for the older boys) would be great!!!
    Small towns (depends on definition of 'small') tend not to have such facilities in abundance. You will have a few primary schools, 1-2 secondary schools, one medium supermarket, a small variety of pubs and some cafés / restaurants, a GAA club, possibly no other sports, maybe a 1-3 screen cinema, a playground, no skate park likely.

The further west you go, generally the less variety and the poorer the connections to other services.

Kerry airport schedule (not very robust and may lose it's Dublin connection): http://kerryairport.ie/flights-from-kerry-airport/timetable/
    Cork Airport: https://www.corkairport.com/gns/flight-information/destinations-airlines.aspx
    Shannon Airport: http://www.shannonairport.ie/gns/Passengers/flights/where-when-which-airline/search-for-flights.aspx

Schools: http://education.ie/en/find-a-school

Cinemas: http://entertainment.ie/cinema/?utm_source=entertainment.ie&utm_medium=navmenu&utm_campaign=fullmenu

Supermarkets:
    http://www.tesco.com/store-locator/ie/
    http://www.dunnesstores.com/pws/StoreFinder.ice?country=&countryRegion=&findStore=findStore&page=stores
    https://www.aldi.ie/en/about-aldi/information/store-locator/
    https://www.aldi.ie/en/about-aldi/information/store-locator/
    http://supervalu.ie/store-locator/

Swimming pools: http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/web/Cork%20County%20Council/Departments/Divisional%20Services/Coastal%20%26%20Recreation/Swimming%20Pools (There are several public pools in the city and some hotels will have pools / sports clubs that you can join.)

Soccer: http://www.soccer-ireland.com/cork-football-clubs/index.htm

Cricket: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cricket_clubs_in_Ireland#Munster_Cricket_Union

Rubgy: http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/clubs/index.php

Skate parks:
    http://www.wreckless.ie/Skateparks/
    http://www.skateeire.ie/map-skateparks/munster/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

What about if you moved somewhere like Ballincollig or Carragaline, OP? Both within striking distance of the city, and the airport. Both served with shops, pubs, cinemas and the like. The kids won't be too far away. Mallow and Fermoy could be quite good too. Fermoy's close to the M8 motorway direct to Dublin. Both about a 30 min drive to the city. About 45mins-1hr to the airport.

Kinsale's lovely but pricey! Clon, Bandon and Bantry might be better if you're looking to go far from the madding crowd.

Hope this helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭griffzinho

I've lived in West Cork/Mid Cork and I'd seriously recommend Ballincollig/Ovens area. 10-15 minutes to the Airport and Cork City Centre + all the facilities you have mentioned above are available in Ballincollig. Two great schools in Ballincolling in Colaiste Choilm and The Community School.

Near to Ovens you have:

Regional Park in Ballincollig for walking + short hop to West Cork/Kinsale.
    Skate Park in Ballincollig.
    Cinema in Ballincollig/Mahon Point
    Swimming Pool in Bishopstown (10 minutes drive)
    Shopping Centre at Mahon Point - 15 minutes.
    Shopping Centre in Ballincollig + Aldi, Lidl, Tesco, Dunnes

Ovens/Kilumney is very countryside as well as being very close to the City and it's amenities. Very central for travelling to West Cork/Killarney as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Children do feck all with an empty field in the middle of nowhere. You end up driving everywhere, unless you physically live on a beach. Now, I am biased, but I heartily suggest you live in Cork city with all the sports, shop and cinema facilities, and still easily access the nearby kinsale and clon.

There are loads of good places... For example, Blackrock village in Cork city has rowing clubs, a dock for kayaking or other watersports. A tennis club, gaa club, soccer club. Loads of walking and exploring around the marina parkland, blackrock castle area, and old railway amenity area. Bus routes so those kids can make their own way around. City center is only a walk away with hundreds of cafes, pubs and restaurants. Cork is small enough to walk around easily, it's not exactly a metropolis. Nice walks all around by the marina, the castle. And easy access to roads to get out and about and see the country.

Further into the city you won't get a garden unless you are talking big money, but there are areas close to the university and fitzgeralds park which might suit you. The only cricket grounds are around there as well.

Watch the public transport in Ireland, it ends earlier than the pubs close. With children of those ages, your next worry is going to be how they get home at night. Living close enough to the town/city they go out in, that they can walk home if they get stuck, will give peace of mind.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd have to concur with the guys on this one. Ireland is not the UK. We do not have skate parks etc- all over the place. If you move even to the likes of Clonakility- amenities for younger people are limited in nature. You will be driving quite a bit.

I'd suggest taking a time out- perhaps come over and rent for a month or two over the summer- get a feel for a few different places- and get feedback from your wife and family- on a compromise that will suit all of you.

Hillwalking etc- are lovely pasttimes- and indeed- I love them myself. My wife does not though- nor my children. I can see you being in a similar situation.

You need to come to a compromise that ticks most boxes for all your family- and that compromise could very well be Cork City- or indeed- somewhere like Galway..........

Further- Irish house prices are not what you imagine- in other than quite remote areas. You do not want to buy based on house prices- you will end up in the arse end of nowhere if you do.

You could try Greystones, in Co.Wicklow. Its starting to get pricey though again.

You have a skate park (in Charlesland), all sorts of sports clubs, sailing, plus your beside a beach, bray head, near some woods, wicklow mountains at your doorstep, plus only 45 mins drive to Dublin Airport.

You could try Greystones, in Co.Wicklow. Its starting to get pricey though again.

You have a skate park (in Charlesland), all sorts of sports clubs, sailing, plus your beside a beach, bray head, near some woods, wicklow mountains at your doorstep, plus only 45 mins drive to Dublin Airport.

The OP mentioned Cork...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

Ballina Co.Mayo would tick your boxes!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I moved from Cork to Clonakilty a few years ago. It has everything you're looking for except the skate park though there is one in Bandon (no idea how good as I dont skate). Pubs, restaurants, cafe's etc all plentiful and of a high quality. There are a lot of English, Germans, Dutch Swiss etc in the general area which together with the surfers and stream of tourists give it a bit more of a cosmopolitan feel then a typical Irish town. Kinsale even more so but then Kinsale is very much a tourist destination. Great community spirit in either but house prices far higher then other areas. Nicest rural area around Clonakilty would be ardfield / rathbarry with house's on the city side more expensive and less on market.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Have you thought about Limerick. It's a small compact city where you can have a brilliant life on a pretty modest income. I returned to Limerick city after many years living in London and Dublin and the lifestyle that has afforded me is astonishing. I was able to buy a biggish detached house on a third of an acre in a leafy suburb, a mile from the city centre, a mile from the university, a couple hundred yards from lovely riverside walks (which I'm up a steep hill from) so I have all the benefits of country and city living. I have two supermarkets, a shopping centre and a retail park, within a five minute walk. There is a kids activity centre a minute away. In walking distance there are three swimming pools, one with a toddler activity pool attached and one that is Olympic sized. There are also two more kids play centres, a rollerink, a cinema, rugby, soccer and GAA clubs, 4 gyms that I can think of, GoKarting, a couple of parks with playgrounds and plenty of other suburban shops, cafes and restaurants in walking distance though with the city centre so close, I am more likely to go out there. The skate park is a bus ride and walk away though. Lots of schools with good reputations about but like in all areas of Ireland, if you don't want to send your children to Catholic school you'll have to put in extra effort.

I have every urban convenience I want but due to everything being in walking distance I can take advantage of it in a way that I couldn't in a bigger city, beautiful nature on my doorstep and the real countryside within a short drive. Shannon airport is half an hour away. You won't get that mix of amenities anywhere else in the country without paying megabucks. But including the one big job the house needed and the minor cosmetic alterations I wanted, the price I paid for my house still squeezed in at a 5 figure sum. So I got more than I ever dreamed of in terms of lifestyle along with almost complete financial freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Oh yeah, where ever you do move if broadband is important to you make sure to investigate it's availability in whatever area appeals to you. In more urban areas speeds of up to 200-240mb are fairly easily available. In less urban areas, it's not uncommon to have no option other than satellite, which may be unsuitable.

The OP mentioned Cork...

Yep was just a suggestion! OP Wicklow is the garden of ireland and is near Dublin.

Wicklow town could be a place that suits your budget and requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Co Mayo?
    Ireland West Airport, regular flights to UK.
    Westport has some nice swimming pools and cafe's.
    Close to Galway, direct train to Dublin.
    Plenty of lovely scenery and some great walks, the Greenaway is one.
    It has a couple of cinema's but nothing to boast about.
    Some decent schools too.
    The people, for the most part, are friendly.
    House prices are reasonable, and lots with some land included.

Just somewhere to consider OP, I hope you find a place that you and your family will be happy in.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

pwurple wrote: »
    Children do feck all with an empty field in the middle of nowhere.
    Actually, mischief and drinking, and more mischief, preferably of the illegal sort tends to happen in empty fields. Underage drinking happens where there's shag all else to do, and thinking otherwise will be a bit naive.
    Thus the romantic notion of a wee cottage in the countryside will be a mistake.

As also said above, ensure you can get broadband NOW. As in, actually now, check the neighbours. Some EA's have said you can get BB, but it turns out to be some sh|te with satellite or a wireless box.

Also as said, rent for a bit. Finding a community that you fit into is always a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

pwurple wrote: »
    Children do feck all with an empty field in the middle of nowhere. You end up driving everywhere, unless you physically live on a beach. Now, I am biased, but I heartily suggest you live in Cork city with all the sports, shop and cinema facilities, and still easily access the nearby kinsale and clon.

Having lived in both Clon and Cork id disagree. I live in the countryside within walking distance from Clon. Its quicker, easier and less stressful to get to cinemas, pubs, restaurants, supermarkets, sports clubs, swimming pool etc. There isnt the same choice of any especially shops but i might go clothes shopping once a year so doesnt bother me. You also have a community spirit I thought was dead plenty of beaches far better places for walks runs etc. I put up with a 50 minute commute as its a better quality of life and where I want to raise our children.
    the_syco wrote: »
    Actually, mischief and drinking, and more mischief, preferably of the illegal sort tends to happen in empty fields. Underage drinking happens where there's shag all else to do, and thinking otherwise will be a bit naive.
    Thus the romantic notion of a wee cottage in the countryside will be a mistake.
    I still think a lot more and worse happens in urban areas.
    the_syco wrote: »
    As also said above, ensure you can get broadband NOW. As in, actually now, check the neighbours. Some EA's have said you can get BB, but it turns out to be some sh|te with satellite or a wireless box.

Very true. Make sure their close neighbors too, my connection is as good as anything I ever had in Cork but I know people 10 minutes away who have terrible options.

Thank you for all the responses. I've just returned from a my shift in Scandanavia and thrilled to see all the responses... I'm going to centre in on my search in the South West. Will visit Cork in the next few months. But defo don't want to live in the city. I want away from the maddening crowd.

So best towns/schools within hours drive of Cork airport? Clon seems to be coming out on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kennypowers

Personally if I was in your envious position I would stump for Killarney .Has all your requested need plus a national park on your doorstep.Kerry airport is about 20 mins drive and another five mins to clear security :-].

• Advertisement

I don't think I will get flights regularly enough from Kerry, to either London Gatwick, Manchester or Amsterdam where I can transfer to fly onto Helsinki.

Will look into it further though.

Clon, Bandon, and Ballincollig seem to be the best bet OP. Ballincollig/Ovens are closest to the airport though.

Well Bandon isn't a great spot imho, but i don't really know it. Clonakilty is ok, but nothing much happening for 9 months of the year. Your kids would go mental there. Kinsale, by a mile, is the best bet for proximity to the coast/Cork/airport,etc. and I feel Ovens would be the best bet as it has some beautiful houses that are considered very rural (lovely green countryside), yet are close to Cork/Ballincollig and all the desirable amenities. West cork is only 25 mins from Ovens too so great for day trips.

Take your point about Clon tbh.. I'm guessing Kinsale is a better place for the kids for schools and stuff to do outside of school, plus a lot nearer to Cork. I've been trying to avoid Kinsale due to asking prices of houses there is pretty high compared to further along the coast (almost double in most cases).

What would you say sellers will take these days off the asking price in Kinsale? i do note a lot of the houses that are advertised there have been on the market for 18 months or more. So not sure if that is the general state of the housing market in Ireland. Or people view Kinsale as massively over priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Cant go wrong with Wicklow/Greystones/Bray, I think you might end up feeling a bit isolated if you go any further from Dublin coming from the UK, Dublin city and the Airport are just a quick drive up the M50. The move over and rent for a month is definitely a good piece of advice if you're thinking about places like Kerry and Mayo though, they can be very rural, not Peak District rural, proper nothing but mountain, forest and fields for miles and miles-style rural with barely usable internet.

But those places are massively over priced to me. They are more expensive than Cheshire where i live now, which i feel is too busy and over populated as it is. It would also defeat the objective economically, to buy the same standard property that i live in now in Greystones or Bray would 100k's euros more than what i would sell my house for in the UK. I would be in an uncomfortable financial position with the irish economy the way it s now. It does not make any sense buying a house that (in my opinion) is massively over valued still and (again in my opinion) still has a long way too fall in value. That wouldn't matter if i didn't have a mortgage on it, but i would have one to live in those areas. My wife or I will never work (or need to work) in Dublin either so being within commuting distance has no value to me at all.

Agree on the rent somewhere first idea though ;) I think we are pretty set on Kinsale, Clonakilty or Skibbereen - they also have fibre optic broadband available in those areas which is a big plus.

Not Skibbereen, OP. That really IS remote! Beautiful area, but it'll be a good 2 hour drive to Cork City. That's also where the main shopping is. Very isolated for your wife and kids also if they don't know the area.

I agree Kinsale is very expensive and some of the properties are overpriced IMO. You might be better off looking in the surrounding villages like Belgooly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah prices have gone crazy again alright, no easy answer there. It wasn't really commuting I was thinking about when I said be close to Dublin though, it was for the sake of entertaining the kids, cinemas, concerts, shopping, various other activities etc, you need to be in Dublin for a lot of it, people bitch about London being the center of the universe where you're from, its nothing compared to Dublin for the rest of Ireland, towns "down the country" tend to be very quite with the bare minimum of facilities even compared to UK towns that would be considered very grim or middle of nowhere, crappy transport if you dont have a car aswell, definite careful research required. Your career sounds like you have a lot of freedom to make it work though, good luck. I live in Bray and I love it but without Dublin on the doorstep and the good transport links into the city Id feel very cut off.

What's your price range OP?? I am seeing some decent houses in/near Kinsale representing what seems to me good value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I agree Kinsale is very expensive and some of the properties are overpriced IMO. You might be better off looking in the surrounding villages like Belgooly.

I was going to suggest Belgooly as well. Primary school there and a good secondary school in Kinsale. Close enough to the airport etc.

OP, one of the great things about Cork (in my Corkonian opinion) is you can get the country living but still be really close to the city. I live 20 mins from the city centre but live in the proper countryside. Do your research and as someone else said, rent before you buy in an area.

Advertisement