Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freeze Screen

Options
  • 04-01-2015 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

I recently got a hdmi cable and I want to know if its possible to continue watching something on the tv but still use go on facebook, skype etc without it showing up on the tv?

I am using Windows 8.1 if that helps.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Just extend your desktop instead of mirroring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Conchy

How do you do that ?

My laptop screen just goes black? anyone else have any idea ?

Does it work at all (can you arrange the desktops) or does it go blank when the second screen is playing video in fullscreen in a browser or some media player?

What have you tried?
    Give us at least something to go on!

• Advertisement

It plays on my TV but my laptop screen just goes completely black.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

There should be a function key to switch displays, F8 or F9 (usually). Press the Fn key when using.

Conchy wrote: »
    It plays on my TV but my laptop screen just goes completely black.

That doesn't answer my question. What exactly have you done?

5uspect wrote: »
    That doesn't answer my question. What exactly have you done?

I have gone to control panel-display then screen resolution and I clicked extend these displays.

But now, my Tv just shows my laptop wallpaper but on my laptop im on google chrome, why is the tv only showing my wallpaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I have gone to control panel-display then screen resolution and I clicked extend these displays.

But now, my Tv just shows my laptop wallpaper but on my laptop im on google chrome, why is the tv only showing my wallpaper?

Drag a window left or right or up or down. Or just move your mouse around, you'll see it appear on the tv when you got the right direction.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Drag a window left or right or up or down. Or just move your mouse around, you'll see it appear on the tv when you got the right direction.

finally got it working :) Thanks for your help, at least you didn't come and make smart comments like other.

finally got it working :) Thanks for your help, at least you didn't come and make smart comments like other.

Bit ungrateful but glad you got it working.

degsie wrote: »
    Bit ungrateful but glad you got it working.

Hows it ungrateful, I thanked him because his solution works, some of the other posters came with smart comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

If you have an issue with a poster or reply, please report the post(s) for Moderator review.

Hows it ungrateful, I thanked him because his solution works, some of the other posters came with smart comments

You didn't help the situation by giving minimal information and titling your post 'freeze screen' which could mean anything.

Advertisement