Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re: Recognition to teach Accounting.

Options
  • 04-01-2015 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am a post primary Business Teacher and would like to be approved by the Teaching Council to teach Accounting.

As a student in Second Level (although awhile ago), I studied Accounting for Leaving Cert and I studied accountancy modules as part of my Business degree in University.

However, I know there is a shortfall, I only did a few modules worth 5 ECTS each and I believe my shortfall is about 30 ECTS.

My question is does anyone know what modules I would need to do with the Open University to make up the shortfall?

Alternatively, if I would to complete a Masters / Postgraduate diploma over 1 or 2 years in Accounting and I achieved a min of 54 ECTS, would the teaching council register me with the above course(s)?

Thanking you in anticipation, Compgeek.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ms B

Compgeek,

I noticed your above question re teaching accounting on boards. I am in the same position myself - I know you posted the question years ago, but just wondering how you went about making up the credits?

Much appreciated if you could reply

Ms. B

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭compgeek

Ms B wrote: »
    Compgeek,

I noticed your above question re teaching accounting on boards. I am in the same position myself - I know you posted the question years ago, but just wondering how you went about making up the credits?

Much appreciated if you could reply

Ms. B

Hi Ms. B,

PM sent.

Hi All,

I just wanted to post an update to my original query.

There is a Postgraduate Diploma in Accounting offered in GMIT in Galway.

It is a full time course, but you can take it on a module / credit basis.

After I got my degree assessed by the Teaching Council, I discovered I was short 25 credits so I am now studying these credits (in my case, they equate to 2 modules) in GMIT.

If anyone wants some further information, please don't hesitate to post here or PM me.

Hi All,

I just wanted to post an update to my original query.

There is a Postgraduate Diploma in Accounting offered in GMIT in Galway.

It is a full time course, but you can take it on a module / credit basis.

After I got my degree assessed by the Teaching Council, I discovered I was short 25 credits so I am now studying these credits (in my case, they equate to 2 modules) in GMIT.

If anyone wants some further information, please don't hesitate to post here or PM me.
    compgeek wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am a post primary Business Teacher and would like to be approved by the Teaching Council to teach Accounting.

As a student in Second Level (although awhile ago), I studied Accounting for Leaving Cert and I studied accountancy modules as part of my Business degree in University.

However, I know there is a shortfall, I only did a few modules worth 5 ECTS each and I believe my shortfall is about 30 ECTS.

My question is does anyone know what modules I would need to do with the Open University to make up the shortfall?

Alternatively, if I would to complete a Masters / Postgraduate diploma over 1 or 2 years in Accounting and I achieved a min of 54 ECTS, would the teaching council register me with the above course(s)?

Thanking you in anticipation, Compgeek.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Murphy2015

Hi Compgeek

I've just had my registration approved today, I had originally just gone for Business but the TC actually contacted me to say "I have noted that you meet the requirements for Accounting as well as Business studies. If you wish If you wish you can also have accounting on your list of subjects. This would not cost extra."

Anyway, after a loooooooong wait it came through today, but only as Business.

Did the TC tell you how many credits you were short?

Is it possible to do the GMIT modules online?

Any help would be great.

Thx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Murphy2015 wrote: »
    Hi Compgeek

I've just had my registration approved today, I had originally just gone for Business but the TC actually contacted me to say "I have noted that you meet the requirements for Accounting as well as Business studies. If you wish If you wish you can also have accounting on your list of subjects. This would not cost extra."

Any help would be great.

Thx

Did the Teaching Council contact you by email/letter to say that you had met the requirements for accounting?

Hi Compgeek

Any help would be great.

Thx

Hi Murphy2015

Congrats on getting your TC registration through. It's a great feeling to finally get that envelope!

When the TC contacted you to say you could teach Accounting, did you state you did want to add it to your reg, but when the reg. came through, it said you were only approved to teach Accounting?

After I got my degree assessed, they told me I was 25 credits short in the areas of "Financial Accounting" and "Management Accounting".

Unfortunately, the modules cannot be taken online at the moment but the head of the accounting component of this course has said that they may consider online / weekend classes in the future if they thought there was enough demand from Teachers (like you or I) who want to get Accounting added as a Teaching subject.

Looking forward to your reply,

Compgeek.

Did the Teaching Council contact you by email/letter to say that you had met the requirements for accounting?

Thx for reply. They emailed me to say i met the requirement to teach AC as well as Business.

Hi Murphy2015

Congrats on getting your TC registration through. It's a great feeling to finally get that envelope!

When the TC contacted you to say you could teach Accounting, did you state you did want to add it to your reg, but when the reg. came through, it said you were only approved to teach Accounting?

After I got my degree assessed, they told me I was 25 credits short in the areas of "Financial Accounting" and "Management Accounting".

Unfortunately, the modules cannot be taken online at the moment but the head of the accounting component of this course has said that they may consider online / weekend classes in the future if they thought there was enough demand from Teachers (like you or I) who want to get Accounting added as a Teaching subject.

Looking forward to your reply,

Compgeek.

Thx for reply. Yes, I have the reply email where I told her to to add it. Then it came back with just Business?!

I have forwarded the emails to PPQA, with my query. I don't expect a quick response so I will phone them today and follow up.

In terms of the modules, pity they're not accessible online, I'll wait for the official response, see where the shortfall is and go from there. I'm being overly optimistic by thinking they might say 'oh sorry, we forgot to add accounting....our error....here you go....2 subjects'

Lol :)

Thx for reply. They emailed me to say i met the requirement to teach AC as well as Business.

If I was in your position, I would contact/fight the teaching council on how the requirements have changed since you're initial contact. You have written proof which I would contact legal advice if required - it may save you money in the long term.

Just for other posters - you don't choose what subjects you teach or if you want to teach x or y or just x or just y - it's up to the teaching council to decide that. They have a list with recognised degrees and the subjects you will be registered to teach.

• Advertisement

Thx for reply. Yes, I have the reply email where I told her to to add it. Then it came back with just Business?!

I have forwarded the emails to PPQA, with my query. I don't expect a quick response so I will phone them today and follow up.

In terms of the modules, pity they're not accessible online, I'll wait for the official response, see where the shortfall is and go from there. I'm being overly optimistic by thinking they might say 'oh sorry, we forgot to add accounting....our error....here you go....2 subjects'

Lol :)

They did the same to some friends of mine. Told them they were qualified to teach X & Y and then when they got their registration, they were only registered for X, however like you, they had an email saying they could teach Y so they got it sorted in the end. :)

What was your original degree (if you don't mind me asking)?

According to their list of approved degrees, what did it say you were allowed to teach? (Before they told you, you could add Accounting)

I hope you get good news! Best of luck.

Compgeek.

They did the same to some friends of mine. Told them they were qualified to teach X & Y and then when they got their registration, they were only registered for X, however like you, they had an email saying they could teach Y so they got it sorted in the end. :)

What was your original degree (if you don't mind me asking)?

According to their list of approved degrees, what did it say you were allowed to teach? (Before they told you, you could add Accounting)

I hope you get good news! Best of luck.

Compgeek.

My degree is Bbs Hons, it was never really clear from the 'list' what I could teach as I guess it would depend on modules taken in streams.
    Beside my degree they have listed Business, Accounting & Econs with an * which I think means dependent on modules taken.

I will update once I get through to someone coherent at TC... I'm certainly prepared to give the argument a shot now that I have at least one subject in the bag!

Thx

Hi all

Just updating; after a few back and forth emails I got them to add Accounting.

They made a big deal of pointing out that the person I had received the original email from had since left the TC.

They also tried to convince me I had misunderstood plain English...

I'm happy with the outcome, thanks to you all for the advice.

Now just need to get a job 😱😂

Hi all

They made a big deal of pointing out that the person I had received the original email from had since left the TC.

Hi Murphy2015,

Thanks for the update. Congratulations!

Well done on fighting your case and winning!

Best of luck with finding that job!

Compgeek.

Hi all

Hi again Murphy2015, I'm delighted that you got sorted out. You had them over a barrel when you had written evidence of what they had told you. It will save you money and extra study. Good luck finding a job.

Advertisement