Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog was attacked by a loose dog.

• 04-01-2015 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭

Any input on what the hell we do here would be appreciated!

Got a call from my sisters. They brought our dog (jrt) on a walk. She's walked in a harness, on a lead.

While walking home, a loose dog attacked Lola. A man was working on his car. My sisters screamed for help. He stood back and watched.

Lola got out of her harness and ran into the man's garden. Turns out, it's HIS dog.

They tried to pick Lola up, and the dog tried to bite their hands.

The man (and his wife, who had now stepped into her garden) told my sisters to 'get the fcuk off our property' and then tried to call their dog into the house!

They then told my sisters that they're calling the gardai and telling them Lola attacked the wife, so we won't claim for vet bills. :eek:

So, we've called the gardai, who haven't shown up, 2 hours later.

Lola has several cuts, is limping badly, crying in pain, and one paw has a nail completely ripped out, with raw skin. We can't get a vet at this hour of the night, everywhere we've called is closed.

What the hell can we do to ease her pain??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Your vet should have out of hours cover. If you ring their number it should be on their answer phone. Probably a good idea to take pictures of your dogs injuries for evidence.

Was your dog on the lead when attacked or did the attack happen after she got loose & ran into their garden.

In the meantime keep her warm in case she goes into shock.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark sun

Where are you based should be emergency vet around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

If the mans dog was not kept under control its an offence.See here.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/animal_welfare_and_control/control_of_dogs.html

Do you know what breed of dog it was that attacked?.If it was a dangerous breed they should also have a muzzle on.The cheeky fcuker to tell your sister to get off his property.For saying that alone,Id make sure he is punished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You can go to ucd emergency clinic as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If the mans dog was not kept under control its an offence.See here.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/animal_welfare_and_control/control_of_dogs.html

Do you know what breed of dog it was that attacked?.If it was a dangerous breed they should also have a muzzle on.The
    cheeky fcuker to tell your sister to get off his property.For saying that alone,Id make sure he is punished.

No such thing as a dangerous breed in ireland. There is a restricted breeds list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

andreac wrote: »
    No such thing as a dangerous breed in ireland. There is a restricted breeds list.

Yes its all there in the attachment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

First off get your own dog seen to so she's ok.
    Yer man sounds like a right ****.
    I'd call the dog warden and let them know his dog is roaming around..
    Go to the guards regarding his attitude and your injuries from his dog.
    Send him the vets bills.
    If he causes problems get into your solicitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭poeticmakaveli

i'm so sorry to hear about the dog and hopefully everything will be OK!
    rang the guards and 2 hours later and nothing? it does not surprise me in the least!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ferrete

same thimg happened me last year with my small dog. guards etc done nothing. so i have a big lurcher n i gave it a few weeks an walked the same strech of road. n there was the owner his dog running free again it came to attack my lurcher n lets just say his dog got what it was looking for

Mod: please see my post below before responding to this post.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Hi again.

Knine, Lola was on her lead when she was attacked. She broke loose trying to get away from the dog.

The dog that attacked her looked like a pomeranian, according to my sisters, so definitely not a restricted breed.

Nobody in my house drives, which is why we were having difficulty getting a vet.

The Gardai arrived and have advised we let it go, because if the man counter claims that Lola bit his wife, Lola could be put down?!

Luckily, we've found a vet who is going to do a house call, thank god!

Lola is wrapped (gently) in blankets, on the sofa (she's not allowed on the sofa usually!), as it's got more room than her bed, and she's being gently petted and comforted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

Did anybody else witness? What sort of dog is Lola? Those Poms are evil little things, wouldn't like them at all.

Hopefully Lola makes a full recovery!!!!! :)

berger89 wrote: »
    Did anybody else witness? What sort of dog is Lola? Those Poms are evil little things, wouldn't like them at all.

Hopefully Lola makes a full recovery!!!!! :)

The only people around were my two sisters (who the pom tried to bite!), the other owner and his wife, so it's basically our word against theirs, although Lola is the only human or animal with any injuries.

Lola is a jack Russell terrier. Not a nippy little one, though, she's very affectionate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

Evil little ****. I think I'd send the dog warden over and let them see for themselves what an aggressive thing it is. They prob dont have a licence for it either!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

ferrete wrote: »
    same thimg happened me last year with my small dog. guards etc done nothing. so i have a big lurcher n i gave it a few weeks an walked the same strech of road. n there was the owner his dog running free again it came to attack my lurcher n lets just say his dog got what it was looking for

These threads always throw up someone advocating some act of violence, veiled or otherwise. Might I remind everyone that this is a breach of the forum charter. Do what you like in your own time... but do not use this forum as an avenue for advocating violence towards man or beast.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread.
    Thanks.
    DBB.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OP, there's every chance that this dog and owner have *form* with the wardens. Well worth a call to the warden in the morning, it is reasonably unlikely that the guards will attend.
    This has come up here before... dog attacks on other dogs, whether on private or public property, are not actually "against the law", and depending on where you live, the only real hope an owner of a damaged dog has is to pursue it as a civil matter, and hope that the wardens will issue a fine to the owners for not having their dog under effectual control in a public place.
    Yes, it is your word against theirs, but you have an injured, on-lead dog as evidence. I don't know what the wardens are like in your neck of the woods, but the wardens around here have regularly issued fines to owners based entirely on complants from other owners, and have even successfully prosecuted owners in court in almost identical situations to yours, based entirely on the evidence of the injured party.
    In the meantime, you should certainly be able to find an out-of-hours vet in your area, vets must provide cover for out-of-hours. It's important to deal with her discomfort... that nail bed must be bloody killing her :(
    The good news is that psychological recovery from one-off incidents like this is usually pretty good, as long as you re-introduce her carefully.
    Poor dog, and your poor sister too. An awful incident.

Thanks for all the help, everyone!

We've had a vet out. She's been given pain relief shots, steroids, tablets and a cream for dressing her wounds. I'm not sure what the tablets are (it was 1am when the vet came out, I was asleep!).

The vet said her heart was going 190bpm and that she's very lucky she didn't have a heart attack :(

Edit to add: it wasn't a steroid shot she was given. It was a sedative. I'm an idiot.

I'm terrified now that she'll have one while I'm at work or something (my mum will be in the house with her).

Is there anything I can do to keep her calm?

Do you have a crate or could you borrow one? Otherwise just leave her in a quiet room in her bed to sleep it off.

Knine wrote: »
    Do you have a crate or could you borrow one? Otherwise just leave her in a quiet room in her bed to sleep it off.

We'd rather not put her in a crate, because she was confined to a playpen for 10 weeks not too long ago when she dislocated her knee, and hated it. She seems comfortable in her bed, in the sitting room, with lots of blankets, food and water. I'm probably worrying unnecessarily about her heart rate and blood pressure after she's already had a sedative, but I want to make sure she's okay.

We'd rather not put her in a crate, because she was confined to a playpen for 10 weeks not too long ago when she dislocated her knee, and hated it. She seems comfortable in her bed, in the sitting room, with lots of blankets, food and water. I'm probably worrying unnecessarily about her heart rate and blood pressure after she's already had a sedative, but I want to make sure she's okay.

If she is comfortable there then I would leave her be. The sedative will actually keep her calm

Knine wrote: »
    If she is comfortable there then I would leave her be. The sedative will actually keep her calm

Ah, you're so reassuring, thank you! I have someone staying with her for the day anyway, because my mam is disabled so may need some help with her today.

Thank you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

Hi again.

Knine, Lola was on her lead when she was attacked. She broke loose trying to get away from the dog.

The dog that attacked her looked like a pomeranian, according to my sisters, so definitely not a restricted breed.

Nobody in my house drives, which is why we were having difficulty getting a vet.

The Gardai arrived and have advised we let it go, because if the man counter claims that Lola bit his wife, Lola could be put down?!

Lola is wrapped (gently) in blankets, on the sofa (she's not allowed on the sofa usually!), as it's got more room than her bed, and she's being gently petted and comforted.

There are so many bloody scumbags about - Karma will hopefully sort that arsehole out. I'm curious to know where this happened?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

At least thankfully the OP's dog looks to on the way the recovery.

daUbiq wrote: »
    There are so many bloody scumbags about - Karma will hopefully sort that arsehole out. I'm curious to know where this happened?

It was in the Coolock area, in a quiet housing estate (yes, Coolock has quiet parts! :pac: ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Your poor dog OP :( Hope she's feeling better soon and do report them to the warden. There's a dog in our park who has attacked tons of dogs - if I knew the guy's address I'd report him. Instead I can't go into the park beside my house at certain times anymore for fear of bumping into him and the dog attacking one of mine. Last time the dog growled at my dogs it really gave me fright so not taking any chances.

She's sitting up again (it had been too painful previously for her to sit) and is happily barking at us to share our dinner with her.

:)

Thanks again, you're all so helpful!

Sorry for the double post, and mods, I hope it's okay to post this as I have absolutely no connection to the guy (have never even met him, because I was asleep when he tended to Lola!).

I want to give a massive recommendation for the vet we dealt with - Patrick Condren of abacus veterinary in Terenure.

He was out to our home (in coolock, so a good distance away) within an hour of us calling him, for a house call.

He spent an HOUR looking after Lola, checking her out, tending to her wounds and cleaning her up. He gave her a sedative injection to slow her heart rate, and a pain relief injection. He gave us antibiotics and painkillers for her, and a cream for her wounds. This was 180 euro, which tbh, considering the time he spent with her, the amount of injections and medications he gave her/us, is nothing. We've been charged more for one pain relief injection in the past!

Aside from that - he called us three times today, just to ask how lola is doing, and will be calling tomorrow just to check up on her.

Fantastic treatment and service. I really couldn't recommend him enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Hi again.

But if the wife has no marks then clearly Lola did not attack her. Sounds to me like the Gardai not wanting to be bothered.

But if the wife has no marks then clearly Lola did not attack her. Sounds to me like the Gardai not wanting to be bothered.

That's what we thought too, tbh, especially as it took them over two hours to even show up.

My mum said she's reporting it to the dog warden tomorrow (I couldn't today because I was out of the house for work at 7am and not home til 8pm).

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

That's what we thought too, tbh, especially as it took them over two hours to even show up.

My mum said she's reporting it to the dog warden tomorrow (I couldn't today because I was out of the house for work at 7am and not home til 8pm).

I wouldn't be surprised if the wife suddenly has some marks on her caused by a dog bite!!! :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement