Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice for a beginner

• 05-01-2015 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a road bike and get into cycling, mainly to lose a bit of weight but also to explore the countryside. I dont have a car and already cycle a fair bit to work etc on my old mountain bike. I'd mainly use it for longish rides and stick with my mountain bike for spins to the shop etc. My employer does the bike to work scheme so I can get stuff through that.

But I've no idea where to start when it comes to the bike itself or even equipment. Can anyone make any suggestions? I'm male, mid twenties and six foot (if thats relevant). Budget wise I'd like to spend around 700 max, but I can reevaluate that if needs be.

Part of me is thinking it would be better to wait until springtime when the evenings are longer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Hi.
    There is lots of good info in this forum and a whole thread dedicated to the bike to work scheme.
    No need to wait for spring as shops are shifting last years stock so there is still value to be had. There is no harm in buying a 2014 model bike.
    If I were you go to 2 /3 local bike shops and and get them to show you what they have.
    Look to buy the best bike you can afford and with bike to work try and use as much of the allowance on the bike (if you can afford it use it all) this was you get the most value from it.
    By visiting the shops you'll build a shortlist of bikes that you can do your own research on via google and also searching the forums here.
    Following that buy the bike you like the best from the shop you got the best service from (this is all gut feeling but if a shop is happy to take the time to help you in your purchase the chances are long term servicing and sorting annoying niggles will be done well too).
    If you don't mind the lack of peraonal touch dont discount the 9nline retailers (may be issues with bike to work so you'd need to check).
    If you are spending a heap of money on a bike get decent security!
    Once you get your road bike get out and ride it.
    Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

First thing I'd say is spend the full 1k...and spend it on the bike.

After tax it works out at 9.75 euro a week whereas 700euro would work out at 6.70 a week both approx..

Secondly, go visit bike shops, get a feel for a few brands and most of all haggle, you will almost certainly get a some clothing thrown in if your spending 1k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

There's no time like the present OP. I wouldn't wait if I were you, spend as long as it takes to research what bike you would like, get sized up and see what extra gear you need, if any. Then ordering the bike can take a little while too.

If you can stretch to 1K I would go with the Cube Peleton Race. I have mine about 6 weeks and it's awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

There's no time like the present OP. I wouldn't wait if I were you, spend as long as it takes to research what bike you would like, get sized up and see what extra gear you need, if any. Then ordering the bike can take a little while too.

If you can stretch to 1K I would go with the Cube Peleton Race. I have mine about 6 weeks and it's awesome.
    What about something like this? http://www.bikestore.ie/cube-peloton-black-red-blue-bike-2015.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Lots of people on here speak very highly of Cube bikes.
    Is this a triple (3 chainrings at the front?) It might be better in the longterm to look at a bike with a 'compact double' chainset. Its not the total number of gears that is important its the gaps / jumps between them. The groupset is goid value for money and reliable but its low in Shimano's pecking order. What is the cost of Cube's model with a compact Double and Sora groupset (do they have any 2014 stock left?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

That Cube has a triple front chainring, which might be better for someone starting out who might need extra help on hills. I bought a Cube Aerial a few years ago and it is still going strong as my daily commuter. I have a Boardman that is about the same age, has done roughly the same mileage but hasn't been abused as much, and the cube looks to be in much better shape still.
    As said already, OP, try and spend as much of the BTW allowance in the bike itself. Clothing can be got as you go along (Aldi and Lidl often do decent deals in gear) and is cheaper to upgrade than the bike. Good luck with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Don't get a triple, they're heavier but more important they're more hassle to maintain. A compact double will do a total beginner fine (even one who is also seriously over-weight and unfit) if it's paired with a wide-ranged cassette on the back (bike shop can explain, but it means something like a 30 or 32 on the back). Which non-coincidentally is what most of the beginner bikes seem to be coming with these days.

For example the Giant Defys are all coming with compact doubles and 11-30 or 11-32s - eg http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ie/bikes/model/defy.4/20115/79370/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Cheers lads. The next in the pricernge is this is the cube peleton pro but that has a triple too?
    http://www.bikestore.ie/road-bikes/road-bikes-mens/cube/cube-peloton-pro-white-red-black-bike-2015.html

I'm leaning towards the race one previously recommended at 999.

http://www.bikestore.ie/road-bikes/road-bikes-mens/cube/cube-peloton-race-black-white-red-bike-2015.html

Its a lot of money but with the above bike will I be sorted for years to come? As in I wont be changing in a year as I need an upgrade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Cheers lads. The next in the pricernge is this is the cube peleton pro but that has a triple too?
    http://www.bikestore.ie/road-bikes/road-bikes-mens/cube/cube-peloton-pro-white-red-black-bike-2015.html

I'm leaning towards the race one previously recommended at 999.

http://www.bikestore.ie/road-bikes/road-bikes-mens/cube/cube-peloton-race-black-white-red-bike-2015.html

Its a lot of money but with the above bike will I be sorted for years to come? As in I wont be changing in a year as I need an upgrade?

You've answered your own question, I00% go with the 2nd bike..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

That's a lovely bike. There'd be no reason to upgrade that over the next few years.

That said, bikes can be addictive and you may buy a few different kinds over those next few years :-P I've run into that problem myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

I have it about 6 weeks now, it's great to ride.

You'll need to budget for pedals and a lock. Research locks a lot. I've kryptonite New Yorker which does the business.

Advertisement