Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip scoring - retriever

• 05-01-2015 12:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

Hi there

Long time viewer but have not posted before and did do a search prior to posting but still a bit puzzled!

We are very interested in a pup coming from a reputable breeder (via IKC, AIGRC etc) and would be for a family dog but is a hip score of 10 (mother) and 5 (father) a reasonably good indicator of a good score, I know the 5 is very good but not sure if we should ask to research back further, though I know in fairness that regardless of a good hip score for the parents, damage can be done by not walking correctly in the first few months as well as many other factors. Its been a good long while since I did any research on this from our first dog but totally confused from googling and checking the breed standards so any advice appreciated!

thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

They are good scores, last time I checked avg score for labs was 15, so anything under is good.

My breeder also checked dna of sire and dam for both pra and cnm, and I got all reports.

Check paperwork (not a simple vet check) from the breeder with the scores, if they cant produce it, run fast.

☀️ 7.6kWp ⚡3.4kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭samo

They are good scores, last time I checked avg score for labs was 15, so anything under is good.

My breeder also checked dna of sire and dam for both pra and cnm, and I got all reports.

Check paperwork (not a simple vet check) from the breeder with the scores, if they cant produce it, run fast.

Yep those health checks all in place with papers. Thanks a mill for the reply - appreciate it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If they were higher I'd be saying to look out for a huge difference on one side because you want them quite even but they're nice and low so I don't think you have anything to worry about! Do you have the names of the parents? If so you can probably do some detective work on google and check out the scores in the linage ;) That's what I did when I was choosing a breeder for my retriever girl and they were all below 11.

Hi there,

I have the names going back to the great great grandparents in fact and tried going through K9 Data but it didn't have the hip scores - I tried even simply googling the names and hipscore but nothing coming up !

It just threw me whether 5 on one side and 10 on the other was a big discrepancy but asked a local vet and so after some impartial advice definitely sounding all good!

cheers again

I was googling the wrong name :o ..found the whole family tree!

• Advertisement
Advertisement