Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portable heat source for a dog

• 05-01-2015 2:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi I have a one year old pugalier who sleeps in the kitchen at night. The kitchen can get quite cold at night and hate the idea of her shivering at night. I don't want to leave the Central heating on obviously so was wondering if anyone knew the best way to keep her warm?

Space heater/microwave pad/etc has anyone tried these?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

hot water bottle wrapped in an old pillowcase or something! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

There is simply no better than the Snugglesafe heat pad, which is a plastic, gel-filled disc that you stick in the microwave for 5 mins, and it will stay warm all night tucked into her bedding. What I like best about themis that they radiate the heat out gently, and I leave them at one end of the bed so that the dog can chose whether to lie on it or not.
    They are brilliant, and safe for all but the most detemined chewers. I've had one here for 11 years and it's still going strong, and several more that get a lot of rugged use with rescue dogs... the bizz!
    I *ahem* use them myself too :o

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/thermal_pads/129427

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭mojopin10

That looks perfect thanks a million. Knew I'd get a few good ideas on here :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

+1 for the snuggle safe, it was sold in the MaxiZoo I used to work in and I had one for my dog when she came to work with me it stayed warm for hours :) about the same price too, maybe a little more expensive in maxi zoo though

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mozzy

Also the Ancol self heating pet mat is great! Its so safe and really works well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Sorry to bump in on this thread but can you buy the snuggle safe pads in any shops or is it just online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I think I've seen them in MaxiZoo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Anybody know where I might get a replacement fleece cover for a snugglesafe? Our pup has it shredded in under a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 michelek

In the past, when fostering kittens/puppies, I have used a plastic 7up/coke bottle with slightly cooled boiling water(some cold water added to bottle first) with a thick woolly sock around it. Much more effective than a traditional hot water bottle!! Never used a snugglesafe so no opinion there.
    Obviiously for a dog thats a chewer, this isn't an option!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭_Lady_

Not sure if this is helpful or not but just said i'd share my experience of this situation - our fella is a bigger dog and got used to sleeping outside as he grew bigger after about 9months. Was a mad chewer at first so mats or water bottles defo not an option. When winter came back around and he was about a year old I was freaking out because he only had his house outside in our back garden - we didnt have any proper shed. Tried to train him into sleeping inside but no joy - max he ever lasted was about 4 hours and then he would.prance.around the room and howl the house down to get out to his own little house - would run straight in and sit down and look at you as if you were daft for not letting him out hours ago! Howling Not great situation with three under fours in house next door!! So I finally figured it out after someone recommended it to me - a frost mate the heaters used for keeping pipes from freezing in attics during cold spells! He gets too confined indoors while we're asleep but I don't want him shivering outside if temps dip too low and if he's been in by fire all eve so we installed this heater on a thermostat on the roof of his house. It kicks in if the temps get low - prob less than 5 degrees or so... I can feel the warmth of it in his house if I stretch my arm in the open front door straight away if it's cold enough and he buries himself away into the back of his house - happy out. We did have to extend his house so the heater wouldnt be too low but lol lucky for him he has a bespoke kennel built by his own long suffering personal in house carpenter (my OH - the poor divil! :-) 💜 ) but it's a good option for bigger sleep outside doggies if you dont have possibility of shed and indoors is not a goer. Specific situation I know but would work well in sheds and that either I'm sure. You can get them in any hardware store just make sure any element is well covered and high enough so dog can't get at it or be bothered by it just in case. I'm hoping as he gets older and wiser he'll be calmer and stay inside eventually but it works for now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement