Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DLR Lexicon - Space for hot desking?

Options
  • 05-01-2015 7:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    I'm just wondering has anyone been able to check out the new Library in Dun Laoghaire and is there any space for hot deskers? I'm just talking about popping down for a few hours here and there with a laptop, sitting at a table and not having to worry about maybe taking a few phone calls without disturbing anyone since it's a library.

Is there plugs, wifi and is it a case of just walking in and sitting down or do you need to join, sign in etc each time?

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Phone calls would be a no-no, it may be vast, but quiet corners tend to have readers in them. Is the free wifi time limited? Think it needs some form of login. Otherwise I've seen people working/studying on laptops along the windows on the couple of occasions I've been in so far.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think you may be able to book a study room which would be private so you could look into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll have to just go and check it out and I can ask them once I'm there. I could always nip out to take a call if there's somewhere close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

In other branches, when it gets busy (and the lexIcon already is), people studying may be asked to show student cards to prioritise need, so trying to do business in it is probably a no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Larbre34 wrote: »
    In other branches, when it gets busy (and the lexIcon already is), people studying may be asked to show student cards to prioritise need, so trying to do business in it is probably a no no.

Really? secondary level students don't have cards and third level students have libraries in their college.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Interestingly you may struggle to find a space. I noticed yesterday that all the seats upstairs along the huge windows were taken by people working & studying. Looks like others have come up with the same idea. A couple of guys on the macs were clearly there in a work capacity also.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the info, actually it got me thinking, if there's such a demand for this, why isn't there library sized buildings run by the council for entrepreneurs to use as office space, especially if it's good for the economy. I know many people have said they tend to be a lot more productive working in the likes of a cafe or public space than at home on their own and I'm the same.

Maybe try the Local Enterprise Office?

Phone: (01) 205 4721

Email: contact@leo.dlrcoco.ie

Address:
    1, Harbour Square
    Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Opening Hours:
    Mon-Fri: 9:00 - 5:00
    Saturday-Sunday: Closed

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, actually it got me thinking, if there's such a demand for this, why isn't there library sized buildings run by the council for entrepreneurs to use as office space, especially if it's good for the economy. I know many people have said they tend to be a lot more productive working in the likes of a cafe or public space than at home on their own and I'm the same.

There's plenty of incubation centres around.

Also should council funded by locals and buisness use public money for the commercial gain of private individuals

Advertisement