Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

utterly sleepless

• 05-01-2015 8:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭

Went to bed before 12, dozed off for maybe an hour or so, but woke up around 2ish. been lying here since trying to sleep but getting nowhere. **** this :(

Oh and yes, I know posting to boards from my phone isn't going to help but I'm just bored ****less now

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

You also lost an hour in there somewhere!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭sblythe

Went to bed at half 11,

Gave up trying to sleep after waking up for the fourth time at 5:43,

Now I have to get up for work :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Field east

Linkszz234, do you have a sleep problem in general and for how long? And if so what is the general sleep pattern and quality. There could be a number of things that you may or may not be doing that could contribute to your problem. Lack of sleep is a major problem with a very significant % of the population

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Field east wrote: »
    Linkszz234, do you have a sleep problem in general and for how long? And if so what is the general sleep pattern and quality. There could be a number of things that you may or may not be doing that could contribute to your problem. Lack of sleep is a major problem with a very significant % of the population

I've regular sleep problems, going on for a long time. I suffer pretty badly from anxiety which really exacerbates things, and honestly, I know what's bothering me right now but there's nothing I can do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

Links234 wrote: »
    I've regular sleep problems, going on for a long time. I suffer pretty badly from anxiety which really exacerbates things, and honestly, I know what's bothering me right now but there's nothing I can do about it.

Look into buddhist meditation Links...ive suffered from insomnia and anxiety attacks for years and it helped me no end.Its literally mind over body :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Field east

Links234 wrote: »
    Try the following for two to three mts.
    (1) drink a max of 3 cups tea/coffee a day by 3 pm. If you do not like camomile, etc, tea then try Red Bush tea - Eleven O Clock brand is a good one
    (2)- go to bed every night night at the same time and get up after 7 1/2 hours - irrespective of whether you slept or not. If you wake up and cannot get back to sleep, get up and read /listen to the radio - using a dim light only- and then try sleeping again.
    (3) do not doze off or nap during the day. Go for a walk, go down stairs, read, go outdoor for a gulp of fresh air , etc, to head falling off to sleep.
    (4) avoid all blue light after 9 pm eg. No television, looking at mobile phone, I pad , computer (5) lose weight if somewhat overweight.
    (6) eat last meal early evening - circa 6.30 pm. Do not go to bed ' on a full stomach'
    (7)a' jar or two ' per day of alcohol is ok but stop at 6 pm.

IN SUMMARY, in case that you have a medical condition or feel uncomfortable with any of the above then give your GP a visit. Trying all is the ideal but the more you take on the more is the possibility of a dearer able outcome. The beauty of the above is that it costs extremely little - apart from the Red Bush tea if you buy it.
    The main requirement from you is patience and DICIPLINE.
    What the above points are about is to reduce things that inhibit sleep, eg caffeine,and increase things that promote sleep eg create a demand for sleep by not napping during the day. You are trying to get your body to adapt a regular sleeping pattern.
    Best of ZZZZZZz. Would be interested in the outcome if you try some/ all of the points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Field east wrote: »
    (4) avoid all blue light after 9 pm eg. No television, looking at mobile phone, I pad , computer
    Are you a bit mad or something? A few of the others are a bit unfeasible too, even if they'd help the situation.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Are you a bit mad or something? A few of the others are a bit unfeasible too, even if they'd help the situation.

They sell glasses that block out blue light in lots of places. It's regularly mentioned in discussions on sleep problems. Blue light apparently inhibits melatonin production.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Staring at the fcuking ceiling at 3:30am. Really hate when my sleeping habits go into Christmas break mode, just makes that first day back so much worse.

Didn't help that we stayed up watching NFL until 1:30am because neither of us felt in any way tired...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Didn't get to sleep till 4:30am on Sat night due to stupidity.

Didnt get to sleep till 4:30am on Sun night due to Delhi Belly. Ie nausea and bad stomach cramps. Took a while for the motillium to kick in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Knackered today after a night of tossing and turning from banjaxed body clock and the fear.

I will certainly sleep tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I got up at 6.30 yesterday morning,was tired all day but it was worth it to be able to sleep last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Yep went to bed at 10pm last night, didn't get to sleep until about 1am then woke up again at 2.30am, took about half an hour to get back to sleep then got up at 6am for work, now feeling ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

All my fault of course due to lying in till 11am yesterday and staying up late all over the christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

My family GP has said that less than four hours sleep a night on an ongoing basis has a serious impact on health. Therefore I would consider ongoing lack of sleep in a medical context.
    Go to a doctor with expertise in mental health.
    Sleeping pills are usually not a good solution because they can be very addictive (especially the Z drugs). However a doctor might be able to help you with your anxiety and possibly identify any possible condition causing it.

I sleep well, despite the fact I consider myself quite an anxious person in general. I do that jerking awake gasping for air thing quite often when falling asleep if I'm stressed. In spite of that I get to sleep pretty fast even after doing that. I don't use any medication or supplements, though I wouldn't drink caffeine late in the day.

I often would fall asleep watching a movie or reading a book or comic on a tablet/laptop. This has the advantage over reading a paper book of not requiring the light to be on in the room. Comics are probably the best for this purpose for me. I know some people wouldn't find this approach useful at all, but it works for me. We also have a duvet cover hanging over the curtain rail so the room is properly dark. Blackout curtains would be a more elegant solution but duvet cover is also practical. I use wax earplugs if there is noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Went to bed at 10.30, fell asleep pretty much straight away...only to be woken at 2.00 am by an alarm going off on a watch I had used when out running earlier. Tossing and turning for rest of the night and first day back to work after Christmas break. It's so not fair!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

There are apps available for your phone/tablet/laptop that reduce the blue light emitted in the evening. I use one called Twilight. It really is good, I was having mild sleep problems, heard about the blue light thing and install it. It definitely improved my sleep.

Don't know how you get around the TV, though typically I wouldn't be watching TV for the hour or 2 before I go to sleep.

None of the others are unfeasible either. All very easy to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭citrus burst

I know how you feel. Woke up at 4.30 pm yesterday and haven't slept since. Stomach feels empty even after eating, can't concentrate etc writing this post is fairly difficult, usual signs of sleep deprivation. Happens to me every now and again when my sleep pattern just goes haywire, especially during winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭snowgal

kinda feel glad Im not the only one! I had awful nights 'sleep'. I think my mind was actually awake all night, I hate when this happens. I have to resist the need to nap later on and just go to bed early tonight if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Walk in fresh air during the day.

Don't nap during the day.

Go to bed at the same time, and get up at the same time. It's like a kid's sleeping routine, and it helps.

No electronic stuff in the bedroom. Kindle on low light, or a book only.

Sometimes a little something to eat when awake for a while can help. Blood sugar drops during the night, so even a glass of milk, and a half slice of bread or a cracker/biscuit, whatever can really help.

Tossing and turning on the night before a return to work after a long break is not at all unusual. Same happens Sunday nights sometimes before the start of the week!

I have a tube of the multivitamins from Aldi (like Berocca, same ingredients), if I take one of them after a glass of milk, I'm out for the count.

If I get six or so hours sleep a night, I'm a happy bunny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Worrying and fussing re not sleeping is worse than not sleeping.. I wake often and just knit and read etc...but then I am home all day so no worries re work.. But worrying is a killer

• Advertisement
Advertisement