Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopping Milk Production

Options
  • 05-01-2015 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi I'm just wondering if anyone can help. My baby is a few days old and have decided to bottle feed. My breasts are now big and tender and need to relieve this and stop milk production, I am wondering how to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Cold cabbage leaves from the fridge might help. And sage and peppermint tea too. Both reduce supply. No stimulation of your breasts at all: no water on them in shower etc. Hope it passes soon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

I don't wish to offend but to be honest about it it's better for your baby to be breast fed. Even just for the first couple of weeks, it would give his immune system a proper boost to get all the antibodies present in breast milk.
    If breast feeding is difficult for you you could express it and then bottle feed it to your baby.

Please don't ban me mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I don't wish to offend but to be honest about it it's better for your baby to be breast fed. Even just for the first couple of weeks, it would give his immune system a proper boost to get all the antibodies present in breast milk.
    If breast feeding is difficult for you you could express it and then bottle feed it to your baby.

Please don't ban me mod.

That's not what the poster wants. It's also not what she asked. We all make decisions and she has made hers. You don't have the right to try and make her feel bad or guilt her into doing something she does not want to do. I hate seeing this kind of thing: it's downright unsupportive and very unfair.

Op I hope you are feeling a bit better today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

OP I stopped breastfeeding after a few days too, never realised how difficult it was, and just went 'cold turkey'. I didn't use cabbage leaves, but did make sure not to stimulate milk in the shower etc. my boobs did go rock hard for a few days and were a bit sore but not awfully so. It sorted itself out in a few days/week I think. I had fed for 5 days.

Don't forget you can ring the maternity unit of the hospital if you have questions for the first few weeks. So I was told anyway and I availed of it when changing to bottles etc and found the midwives really helpful. Nice to feel that there's someone with expertise you can just ring with questions.

Advertisement