Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy a 1kw generator?

Options
  • 05-01-2015 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a 1kw generator? Also, how much should I expect to pay?

It would only be for occasional use during a power outage. I'd be buying as a regular consumer...so would need a supplier who will sell to the public.

Are there any particular brands to avoid? How much should i expect to pay for one? Are the 'silent' models worth paying for? All advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Not sure if you are aware but their is rules regarding the connecting of standby generators, should take it into account first before making a purchase

http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/generator-connections/standby_generator.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Davy wrote: »
    Not sure if you are aware but their is rules regarding the connecting of standby generators, should take it into account first before making a purchase

http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/generator-connections/standby_generator.jsp

Ah yeah, I was aware of that much alright but thanks for highlighting anyway. I appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me where I can buy a 1kw generator? Also, how much should I expect to pay?

It would only be for occasional use during a power outage. I'd be buying as a regular consumer...so would need a supplier who will sell to the public.

Are there any particular brands to avoid? How much should i expect to pay for one? Are the 'silent' models worth paying for? All advice appreciated.
    Best small Generator will be a Honda EU10i, these are silent, have a stabilised clean output and will run PC's etc.
    Low fuel consumption and reliable.
    Is 1000w all you need?
    Buy it from a Honda dealer and then you will have peace of mind and a decent backup service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭greasepalm

see a big demand on them shortly with the nice weather coming next week snow into feb .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Best small Generator will be a Honda EU10i, these are silent, have a stabilised clean output and will run PC's etc.
    Low fuel consumption and reliable.
    Is 1000w all you need?
    Buy it from a Honda dealer and then you will have peace of mind and a decent backup service.

Not sure tbh. I definitely need to keep my internet and laptop going as I work from home.

• Advertisement

Not sure tbh. I definitely need to keep my internet and laptop going as I work from home.
    1000w will run that no probs, if you are running a computer or sensitive electronics then you want clean power, any old genny won't do as they can produce noisy spiky power.
    There is also an EU20i which is 2000w and may give you headroom for lighting etc as well.
    I wouldn't consider anything else TBH, you know with Honda that reliability is a given and parts and backup is always nearby.
    If you don't mind 2nd hand. http://www.donedeal.ie/tools-for-sale/honda-eu10i-generator/8313604

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Do you drive? If it's just a laptop you need then an invertor for the car world be the best thing.
    Something like this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-12v-modified-sinewave-1000w-inverter-a12hq

With regards your broadband, what type broadband do you have? There's a good chance of it not working during a power cut

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

To be on the safe side I'd plug a UPS into the Generator & work downstream of that.

I live in Wicklow so am used to power outages, I run my Laptop & Antenna Broadband this way, the UPS just filters out any unwanted spikes. Basically you work off the UPS & the generator keeps it charged.

Seanieke wrote: »
    To be on the safe side I'd plug a UPS into the Generator & work downstream of that.

I live in Wicklow so am used to power outages, I run my Laptop & Antenna Broadband this way, the UPS just filters out any unwanted spikes. Basically you work off the UPS & the generator keeps it charged.
    No need with those EU series gensets, they have a very clean output from an inverter.
    If you had an old EC series or EM or similar then yes a UPS might work but some UPS don't like spiky outputs either.
    Those little EU gennys are very tidy machines, if one isn't enough you can parallel them and run them together if they are the same output.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

CJhaughey wrote: »
    No need with those EU series gensets, they have a very clean output from an inverter.
    If you had an old EC series or EM or similar then yes a UPS might work but some UPS don't like spiky outputs either.
    Those little EU gennys are very tidy machines, if one isn't enough you can parallel them and run them together if they are the same output.

Must look into them a bit more!

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭greasepalm

no use mentioning solar battery chargers then?

Advertisement