Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backpackers in Melbourne

Options
  • 05-01-2015 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

Hi, Just booked my flights today to Melbourne, should be flying on 23/02/2015. if there any backpackers travelling around that time or want to meet up in Melbourne will be great :)

I am currently looking for a hostel to stay for a week, any recommendation would be great.

Potentially I'll be on the look for regional work outside Melbourne, any directions will highly appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

akamossie wrote: »
    Hi, Just booked my flights today to Melbourne, should be flying on 23/02/2015. if there any backpackers travelling around that time or want to meet up in Melbourne will be great :)

I am currently looking for a hostel to stay for a week, any recommendation would be great.

Potentially I'll be on the look for regional work outside Melbourne, any directions will highly appreciated.

Thank you

Howya!

I've been here since the end of October, one thing for sure is to make sure you have plenty of money with you. It can be very expensive especially the first few weeks when you are not working.

Base hostel in st kilda or the ritz on fitzroy street would be the best to meet people.

I'll be heading to queensland in June for my regional suppose to be some decent places up there.

hope I've helped !

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

Thank you, this is definitely a head start and good luck in Queensland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

two decent hostels mentioned there. stay away from Flinders Station backpackers on Elizabeth St, stayed there a couple of times and both were bad experiences, dont know why I returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Raddaboutye

Base is a good spot and a good location near the beach. Very popular with plenty of things to do. As bestleftfull3 said above make sure you have a few bucks with you as it's expensive at the start - 10 bed dorm from $35 per night. 4 bed from $40 and a double room from $65 per night.

Look up the Irish in Melbourne or Irish in Oz pages on the book face. They usually have posts from people looking regional work and the very occasional one advertising regional work which could give you pointers. Maybe try Gumtree too. Asking around the hostel will also help.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

Thank you guys for all the advice, I have went ahead and booked a hostel near Flinders station call united backpack. I am currently looking for regional work, using Gumtree and Facebook but no luck yet.

Just wondering of anyone ever used WWOOF service in Australia?
    Base is a good spot and a good location near the beach. Very popular with plenty of things to do. As bestleftfull3 said above make sure you have a few bucks with you as it's expensive at the start - 10 bed dorm from $35 per night. 4 bed from $40 and a double room from $65 per night.

Look up the Irish in Melbourne or Irish in Oz pages on the book face. They usually have posts from people looking regional work and the very occasional one advertising regional work which could give you pointers. Maybe try Gumtree too. Asking around the hostel will also help.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement