Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shopping Centre Headford Rd

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Maybe I'll start a campaign to have a preservation order put on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

An ironic one perhaps.

Developments such as the GSC should be left in the dustbin of history. It may have seemed like a good idea 40 years ago or whatever, when such US-influenced out-of-town developments were seen as the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

The redevelopment of the Crescent Shopping Centre in Limerick has made the city centre a ghost town while the shopping centre attracts all of thew shoppers. I'd hate too that happen in Galway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The GSC is literally a ten minute walk from the city centre.
    Would you prefer it to be located to a 40 minute walk away?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

They have been talking about the redevelopment of this place for nearly as long as the outer city bypass project !! Seems to me its just renewing the permissions to keep options open with little hope of any demolition or rebuilding in the near future.

westgolf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

All the shops inside got refits id say they know what type of timescale before a brick will fall or get put back up

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

I assume this would mean that those employed in the shopping center would all lose their jobs due to demolition and reconstruction? Can't imagine local politicians liking that, protest it at every opportunity to keep the voters happy. I'd like the shopping center to be demolished, the exterior looks horrible. A facelift for the outside of the building would really help it.

It would probably be built and demolished in stages.

It would be handy if there were a wide footpath or totally separate walk from Eyre Square to the GSC - the stretch along O'Donoghue terrace is very narrow and there is no path around the corner.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    An ironic one perhaps.

Developments such as the GSC should be left in the dustbin of history. It may have seemed like a good idea 40 years ago or whatever, when such US-influenced out-of-town developments were seen as the future.

For most people the city starts at Terryland, the GSC is nearly city centre. What are you on about?

You are obviously against developments "out of town", there is no space in the city for the scale shops that people want and moving outside the city is necessary, Galway retail park and GSC are however one of the few places where there is space for big developments pretty much in the city.

On the topic of the thread, I actually think the GSC is fine as it is, no need for all the disruption etc of changing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It would be handy if there were a wide footpath or totally separate walk from Eyre Square to the GSC - the stretch along O'Donoghue terrace is very narrow and there is no path around the corner.

Kind of like the Headford Rd? (which is how I get them when I walk from the city-centre about once a fortnight.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement