Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phonewatch charges - and alternatives

Options
  • 05-01-2015 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,

What are people paying for Phonewatch charges?
    2 years ago, I paid €270, last year it was €320 and my renewal has arrived for this year, increased to €389.

I'm reaching a point where Phonewatch prices are outweighing "securing peace of mind"....

Any other operators who can monitor a Phonewatch alarm that anyone can recommend?

Also - if there are any alarm engineers out there who can re-program a Simon panel to phone my mobile rather than the Phonewatch monitoring center, please PM me, as that's something I'd be very interested in.

At Phonewatch's average annual increase of 20% over the last 2 years, I'm not looking forward to next year's bill of €466 !!

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

€389 is a lot.
    As long as it's not their new system with cameras in your house, then any licenced company can monitor your alarm.
    Shop around. Another important point is to look at what's covered in your maintenance contracts. Many companies limit you to one or 2 calls per year. A proper maintenance contract should cover all callouts and labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

I'm paying 456 per year with them (its the newer system with in house cameras). I've just finished my first year with them - what alternatives do I have as the monthly fee is too high.

I would like to keep it monitored and also use a remote app to enable / disable if possible

Based in south Dublin

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You have no option with that system. You are tied to them or else get a new alarm system.
    Walk away at €400+a year it will be cheaper in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

KoolKid wrote: »
    You have no option with that system. You are tied to them or else get a new alarm system.
    Walk away at €400+a year it will be cheaper in the long run.

ok - thanks for the feedback.

Do you have any suggestions on who could offer a similar service at a lesser cost ?

Almost any PSA licenced installer will be cheaper. Shop around and get a few quotes.
    Ensure you are comparing like with like when it comes to maintenance contracts. Many of the cheaper quotes will limit you to one or 2 calls per year and limit the call times. After that they charge you extra. You should look for a package that covers all callouts. A company should not be rewarded for extra calls required if a fault is not sorted initially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

s8n wrote: »
    I'm paying 456 per year with them (its the newer system with in house cameras). I've just finished my first year with them - what alternatives do I have as the monthly fee is too high.

I would like to keep it monitored and also use a remote app to enable / disable if possible

Based in south Dublin

Wow €456 a year is saucy, what are you getting for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

That's some wedge to paying out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

s8n wrote: »

Based in south Dublin

Your alarm uses a Data sim to use the app.
    If there are outputs off the alarm then another form of monitoring should be possible. Camera pictures may not work with another monitoring station.

I have yet to have the pleasure of a good poke around at one of those systems. But I have taken over quite a few who cancelled after the first month or so.
    From what the customers told me the programming is all done remotely. The Engineer Fitter screws everything in place asks the user what code they want & ring in to get it set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

KoolKid wrote: »
    I have yet to have the pleasure of a good poke around at one of those systems. But I have taken over quite a few who cancelled after the first month or so.
    From what the customers told me the programming is all done remotely. The Engineer Fitter screws everything in place asks the user what code they want & ring in to get it set up.

That is correct, it is set up using a laptop.
    The down side to this system is more so the delay of the pictures to the monitoring station (can be up to 5 minutes) plus of course it uses a GSM/DATA to communicate with the monitoring station. No polling.
    They are moving backwards when everyone else is moving forward.

• Advertisement
Advertisement