Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vaginismus and pregnancy

Options
  • 05-01-2015 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi

Just looking for advice. I have suffered from vaginismums and have been working hard using dilators and reading books and with a very understanding and supportive husband, we managed to do the deed successfully many times in the last few months. However now I am pregnant and I am not doing any of this work anymore and I'm now worried that it will affect me, especially during internal exams and labour.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on this?

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

If its any help, they really don't do any internals during ante-natal visits anymore, unless I suppose there is a very valid and urgent reason outside of the normal ante-natal checks. My first one was when I was in actual labour, and I only had 2, even though my labour was heavily monitored due to meconium, and I was attending more antenatal visits due to an existing endocrine issue. I never took off underwear on any antenatal checks.

If the thought of labour is going to stress you out, then you can discuss having an elective c-section with your consultant or midwife. I think in your case they would consider it a very valid reason for one.

Congrats on the pregnancy by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I have had two pregnancies and only one internal exam total, which was done at my request as I was deciding between trying for a vaginal birth after a section or having a second section.
    If this is a major issue, and it sounds like it is, I would strongly advise researching section births and discussing the option with the hospital. Bear in mind that you will get people telling you to make the decision closer to the time and they will stress the benefits of a vaginal delivery, which in fairness is a better option if at all possible.
    Would you consider opting for fully private care if you can afford it? I built up a great relationship with my consultant, who delivered both of mine, provided great pre and post natal care and listened to me.
    I felt personally I had a much better outcome in terms of preferences being respected being under a pro-section consultant who was big into intervention over letting nature take its course. A friend of mine has been under the same consultant and said the same.
    Other women I know found gentlebirthing worked brilliantly for them. Might be worth looking into. Its not for me, but it works for a lot of people in terms of being able to feel in control during the whole thing.

Mod

Hi missyver, I've moved your thread to the pregnancy forum where I think you will get better responses. Please note that medical advice cannot be given on boards.ie. Please ensure that you read the pregnancy charter before posting.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭pipster

missyver wrote: »
    Hi

Just looking for advice. I have suffered from vaginismums and have been working hard using dilators and reading books and with a very understanding and supportive husband, we managed to do the deed successfully many times in the last few months. However now I am pregnant and I am not doing any of this work anymore and I'm now worried that it will affect me, especially during internal exams and labour.

I just wanted to comment on your vaginismus comment. I don’t long how long you have had it and if you have seen many developments. I’ve suffered with it practically since I became sexually active. I never thought it would get better and have had really painful and emotional ups and downs. In the last year it has improved more than ever mainly particularly around the time I got engaged and married. I believe its due to being less stressed that my partner couldn’t take any more and would leave me. Its off the topic of your original post but I thought it might give some reassurance that it could get better when you don’t think. I got the book and did the exercises which helped but was bad keeping them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Emmal14

missyver wrote: »
    Hi

I got diagnosed with this yesterday and had been feeling really down about it particularly as we were going to start trying for a baby. Been referred for physio so hoping it will work! Its good to hear that there can be positive outcomes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭pipster

Emmal14 wrote: »
    I got diagnosed with this yesterday and had been feeling really down about it particularly as we were going to start trying for a baby. Been referred for physio so hoping it will work! Its good to hear that there can be positive outcomes

I know its a terrible thing to have but the good thing is that you know what it is now and can do things to fix it.

Since my post I've since had a baby. I'd 2 internal exams when in labour and they were a bit uncomfortable but I doubt anymore doesn't find them pleasant.
    I'd an epidural so didn't consciously tense up during the birth. Things have improved since and apologies for too much information but previously I'd have bleeding but now i dont which must be from things not being the same after labour which has worked out well for me.

Good luck with everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Emmal14

pipster wrote: »
    I know its a terrible thing to have but the good thing is that you know what it is now and can do things to fix it.

Since my post I've since had a baby. I'd 2 internal exams when in labour and they were a bit uncomfortable but I doubt anymore doesn't find them pleasant.
    I'd an epidural so didn't consciously tense up during the birth. Things have improved since and apologies for too much information but previously I'd have bleeding but now i dont which must be from things not being the same after labour which has worked out well for me.

Good luck with everything

Thanks its good to hear positive outcomes. Im hoping physio will make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭snoopy29

I have vulvodynia for the last 2.5 yrs after an odd accident in zumba which caused a slipped disc. I initially trieed every cream under the sun as they thought it was an infection but was then diagnosed with vulvodynia. There were days when I got very down about it all and couldnt even go for a walk with the pain. I've learned techniques to manage it slightly e.g. cotton knickers, no tights, wash only with water. It's still uncomfortable and wish I didnt have it but I guess I've leaned to live with it now.

Im also thinking of trying for a baby and gynae has recommended a c section for me as the best option, maybe something to think about....

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭missyver

Hi All

It has been so long since I have been on here that I just wanted to give an update. I gave birth to a beautiful baby and since then, my vaginismums has been so much better, so there is hope at the end of the tunnel.

I gave birth naturally (without epidural and I was induced) and I have to say that vaginismums doesn't affect birth at all (well in my experience it didn't). My labour was short and birth was without any issues so it can be done. The internals aren't pleasant at first but I guess I just got used to them.

I think the key issue here is just to relax and breath deeply (easier said than done I know). but for the internals, I used to just concentrate on an area on the ceiling(or else just close my eyes) and just breath deeply and keep telling myself that it will be over very soon. I done hypno-birthing classes whilst pregnant too, which teaches you to be relaxed and breathing etc... so I think that might have helped my mind-frame a bit.

As for now, it is definitely a lot better now and I don't suffer from it hardly at all so there is hope and keep positive : )

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭snoopy29

Congratulations on the birth!

So you feel things are much better since you gave birth? Wow, that does give us all hope!

• Advertisement
Advertisement