Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gateway scheme torture

• 05-01-2015 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

People need advise. A gateway scheme for my local library was advertised in the local newspaper last year. I applied went for interviews and was eventually offered the position. I was happy out, signed the contract and arrived for my first day. I had to go to tbe town hall to meet the local administrator who told me that i wasn't able to start in the library as there was a problem with that position so i was to be based in the town hall for a while. That was fine with me. Unfortunately they told me in no uncertain terms that they had no work there for me either, so i was to be shredding boxes of damp files for weeks, then i might have some typing to do. So i got through all the files before xmas, came back for first day after xmas hols and now i have to use a handcart to wheel bags of damp paper in and out of a damp house. These bags are full of spiders, and i have a fear of them. I refused to do them. This is an unfair situation and i regret agreeing to this scheme. No sign of me being moved yet. Thoughts anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

sibhe88 wrote: »
    People need advise. A gateway scheme for my local library was advertised in the local newspaper last year. I applied went for interviews and was eventually offered the position. I was happy out, signed the contract and arrived for my first day. I had to go to tbe town hall to meet the local administrator who told me that i wasn't able to start in the library as there was a problem with that position so i was to be based in the town hall for a while. That was fine with me. Unfortunately they told me in no uncertain terms that they had no work there for me either, so i was to be shredding boxes of damp files for weeks, then i might have some typing to do. So i got through all the files before xmas, came back for first day after xmas hols and now i have to use a handcart to wheel bags of damp paper in and out of a damp house. These bags are full of spiders, and i have a fear of them. I refused to do them. This is an unfair situation and i regret agreeing to this scheme. No sign of me being moved yet. Thoughts anyone?

God, that sounds like brain drain torture. I'd go mad with the boredom. I spent 3 days tearing up damp paper when the store I worked in closed and it was really mentally very tough. Going in at 9:30 in the morning to know that you'll be spending the day bent over ripping up paper for 8.5 hours.

Your situation is an absolute joke. I'd arrange an appointment with your social welfare officer and explain the situation and see what they can do. That's really the only option I can see. If you walk out of it you'll have to go down the road of appealing a possibly suspended payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sibhe88

God, that sounds like brain drain torture. I'd go mad with the boredom. I spent 3 days tearing up damp paper when the store I worked in closed and it was really mentally very tough. Going in at 9:30 in the morning to know that you'll be spending the day bent over ripping up paper for 8.5 hours.

Your situation is an absolute joke. I'd arrange an appointment with your social welfare officer and explain the situation and see what they can do. That's really the only option I can see. If you walk out of it you'll have to go down the road of appealing a possibly suspended payment.

Its only 19.5 hours a week. Im only getting extra 20 a week. I cant cope with shredding never mind the not knowing what ill find in them bags - all manner of creepy crawlies for sure. I said it to my supervisor. She just repeated there's no other work for u, and gave me a box of gloves. Id be gone a long time ago if i knew my payment wasn't going to be suspended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

sibhe88 wrote: »
    Its only 19.5 hours a week. Im only getting extra 20 a week. I cant cope with shredding never mind the not knowing what ill find in them bags - all manner of creepy crawlies for sure. I said it to my supervisor. She just repeated there's no other work for u, and gave me a box of gloves. Id be gone a long time ago if i knew my payment wasn't going to be suspended.

The only way to know that is to make an appointment to see you officer or walk into your sw office and discuss it. The job isn't as described, it's not what you were interviewed for. I think it's totally unreasonable.

Advertisement