Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxing Club?

Options
  • 05-01-2015 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Lads looking for a boxing club in Dundalk. Im not gonna name them, but I visited two already and they both gave me the cold shoulder saying they mainly want younger lads who can go into competitions and bring back throphies/medals etc

So Im looking for a club that would cater to a lad in his 30's who just wants to get fit and have the odd fight here and there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Gormley85 wrote: »
    Lads looking for a boxing club in Dundalk. Im not gonna name them, but I visited two already and they both gave me the cold shoulder saying they mainly want younger lads who can go into competitions and bring back throphies/medals etc

So Im looking for a club that would cater to a lad in his 30's who just wants to get fit and have the odd fight here and there.

Ardee Boxing Club would happily welcome you. Anyone welcome and they train on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Not sure if you'd want to travel but worth mentioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Gormley85

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Ardee Boxing Club would happily welcome you. Anyone welcome and they train on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Not sure if you'd want to travel but worth mentioning.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely keep it in mind if I cant find anything a tad closer to home. Dont suppose you know the prices just off the top of your head? I checked the Facebook and didnt see any mention of it.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely keep it in mind if I cant find anything a tad closer to home. Dont suppose you know the prices just off the top of your head? I checked the Facebook and didnt see any mention of it.

I don't sorry. It's my brother who goes, not me, but I'll ask him tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Dont be put off by the strange clique or snobbery in clubs locally. I visited all of them a number of years back in an official capacity on behalf of the Sports Council. I felt like a leper and unless help being offered involved providing "guaranteed money I was wasting my time". It was an audit of the facilities in attempt to see where development could happen with eg. getting club volunteers on proper coaching courses, training in vulnerable groups protection, grant application workshops and so on. This was reported back to the IABA and they acknowledged that they were trying to break down such negativity and insular attitudes.

There is nothing stopping you paying membership and utilising a facility and with a hard neck looking for a few tips from even the other boxers on using the speedball etc. Its frustrating though and one club in particular lost out on significant I.S.C grant allocation due to being a bit slack on areas of record keeping in relation to VGP training for volunteers in particular.

For all they know you could be a potential wealthy person who has something to offer as a benefactor or that simply you could become a coach or volunteer yourself, which is badly needed tbh. The whole 'runner' thing was battle within the GAA when people were looking to play for clubs and not getting a look in, persistence really made inroads in ridding clubs of this yokel attitude. You shouldnt have to but maybe try some persistence and f*ck those who are trying to discourage you.

Its bloody frustrating from a sports development perspective to hear about such experiences. The boxing clubs should be embracing new members even if it is just for your membership fee and the chance you might help out on a flag day. How the hell do they know that you dont have untapped ability and get them a trophy. Actually I must look in to age/novice bouts for people like yourself and whether clubs would pair off older novices in an inter club card.

Rant over and apologies! I just hate it when somone makes a bit of an effort to improve fitness, in times of a national epidemic of obesity et al and get met with idiotic knock backs.....

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Dont be put off by the strange clique or snobbery in clubs locally. I visited all of them a number of years back in an official capacity on behalf of the Sports Council. I felt like a leper and unless help being offered involved providing "guaranteed money I was wasting my time". It was an audit of the facilities in attempt to see where development could happen with eg. getting club volunteers on proper coaching courses, training in vulnerable groups protection, grant application workshops and so on. This was reported back to the IABA and they acknowledged that they were trying to break down such negativity and insular attitudes.

There is nothing stopping you paying membership and utilising a facility and with a hard neck looking for a few tips from even the other boxers on using the speedball etc. Its frustrating though and one club in particular lost out on significant I.S.C grant allocation due to being a bit slack on areas of record keeping in relation to VGP training for volunteers in particular.

For all they know you could be a potential wealthy person who has something to offer as a benefactor or that simply you could become a coach or volunteer yourself, which is badly needed tbh. The whole 'runner' thing was battle within the GAA when people were looking to play for clubs and not getting a look in, persistence really made inroads in ridding clubs of this yokel attitude. You shouldnt have to but maybe try some persistence and f*ck those who are trying to discourage you.

Its bloody frustrating from a sports development perspective to hear about such experiences. The boxing clubs should be embracing new members even if it is just for your membership fee and the chance you might help out on a flag day. How the hell do they know that you dont have untapped ability and get them a trophy. Actually I must look in to age/novice bouts for people like yourself and whether clubs would pair off older novices in an inter club card.

Rant over and apologies! I just hate it when somone makes a bit of an effort to improve fitness, in times of a national epidemic of obesity et al and get met with idiotic knock backs.....

Thanks for the lenghty reply! I got talking to a lad last night who does a bit of boxing and he said basically everything you just said. His advice was to call places like felda and see do any of them do "white collar boxing" so Im going to take a spin down to them later and see whats what. Hopefully I'll get sorted with something.

Oh and you mentioned looking into clubs having pair offs for people like me, if it makes any odds Im very early 30's and around the 70kg mark... so guessing maybe welterweight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

"white collar boxing"

Good shout! Never thought of that and another addition to the to do list. There is an ongoing project to build a picture of activities for people across all sports in all regions. Assessing levels of qualified coach involvement etc. The idea being that more focused funding with greater 'contact' with the community could occur and not entirely utilising grants on capital projects that are then under used due to a lack of manpower. There are also efforts to try and get people to return to volunteerism as levels were decimated during the economic boom era. Pointless info but why ideas like the white collar boxing suggestion are picked up to have a look in to.

OK so I checked today and it turns out felda dont do white collar boxing and google isnt getting me anything for "white collar boxing dundalk" either. I really hate to say this as boxing was something i always wanted to do growing up but I think Im probably kidding myself at this stage I should probably be looking into golf or some other "middle aged" sport. Thanks for the help everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

There have definitely been a couple of white collar boxing events in Dundalk in recent years. I know because at least one guy that I knew through DRFC did it.

OK so I checked today and it turns out felda dont do white collar boxing and google isnt getting me anything for "white collar boxing dundalk" either. I really hate to say this as boxing was something i always wanted to do growing up but I think Im probably kidding myself at this stage I should probably be looking into golf or some other "middle aged" sport. Thanks for the help everyone :)

Argh sorry, I forgot to ask about the price of Ardee for you. Will try and find out tomorrow. But on the subject of White Collar Boxing, Ardee does 2 or 3 a year. They put up a post on Facebook a while ago asking interested people to come to sessions in January.

Argh sorry, I forgot to ask about the price of Ardee for you. Will try and find out tomorrow. But on the subject of White Collar Boxing, Ardee does 2 or 3 a year. They put up a post on Facebook a while ago asking interested people to come to sessions in January.

Price is €4 per session.

• Advertisement

Price is €4 per session.

Thanks for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dsher80

Dealgan Boxing Club, Marian Park Dundalk run a very good white collar event annually. They are always on the look out for anyone interested in trying their hand and the coaches are all qualified and very welcoming. You can find them on Facebook under the name 'The Contender' just ask for Anto or Jim. Good luck with it if you decide to take part, there is a great atmosphere on the night and this year its being held in Oriel Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

What about mixed martial arts OP ? Or even just a martial art? Or do you have your heart set on just the boxing?

You could get as much fitness wise from those and they would likely have a much better attitude to a beginner too.

Advertisement