Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to the Future

Options
  • 05-01-2015 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭

I've decided to put my old thread behind me:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056795328 and move on with fresh outlook and new priorities. A bit of a play on words with the Log title but I think it sums up my wish to conquer by back problem and get back to achieving my potential in the future.

To those who haven't read my log previously, I've been suffering from a long term issue with my back and now that I have a root cause (Pars Defects) I'm on the road to recovery. It's been a rocky road over the last four months with some ups and downs but I'm going into 2015 with a positive mindset determined to overcome the problem and get back running regulary. I'm setting no goals at this stage except to get back running regularly with the aim to run DCM in October.

For the record though here are my current PBs and who knows one or two or them may be broken if things go well this year:

5K - 20:30 (2014)
    5mile - 35:30 (2014)
    10k - 43:50 (2014)
    10 mile : 1:28:XX (2012)
    HM : 1:39:43 (2014)
    Marathon : 3:52:32

So this log is all about tracking the progress of my recovery, getting back into the swing of things and setting new goals as and when I get back to running regularly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Best of luck with it redrunner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Best of luck with it redrunner.

Thanks Laura. Don't forget to give me a shout if you want to head down to the club some time !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good to have you "back". :pac:

Best of luck with the recovery and the new log.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck with the new log RR, do you have to do DCM this year? Would a year of not training for a marathon & the stresses that causes the body not be better to you in the long run?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Hope this log is as good as the movies :)
    Best of luck RR

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck with the new log RR, do you have to do DCM this year? Would a year of not training for a marathon & the stresses that causes the body not be better to you in the long run?

Thanks Tang. That's a point to be considered for sure and I'm young enough to have plenty more marathon oportunities. I just put it up there as a taget as I missed out on the last two and would dearly love to do it. Having said that, my progres in the first six months of the year will truly dictate where I go with that.

It's a good point though so thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Delighted your on the road to recovery! Best of luck, be sensible and enjoy everyday you run and all will be well!

At my lightest last year I weighed in at 14st 6lbs or approx 91.6kg. After Christmas I decided to weigh myself after 9 weeks of no running and basically a bad diet I was expecting the worst and wasn't disappointed.....15st 9lbs or approx 98Kgs:eek::eek::eek:

This spurned me to decide to do a little running even though I haven't officially got the all clear yet from physio.

1/1 : 2.18mi @ 9:37

4/1 : 1.55mi @ 9:07 ( dragged along by the dog. Never again!)

5/1 : 3.45mi @ 9:23

No pain in back while running at all but as explained in preious log it seems to be at its worst when I'm not active and particularly sitting.

Bumped into FBOT01 along the way last night. Felt great to be back doing something again. felt a bit of a niggle in left hamstring and right groin but that's just due to rustiness and lack of stretching in last while. will incorporate more stretching now into the strengthening routine also. Will take it very slowly and only run short distances maybe every other day but will discuss this with physio next time I see him just to make sure I'm not just being stupid.

Continuing with plethora of strengthening exercises and am confident that when I get back properly i will feel the real benefit of that work. I've a six pack here just waiting to burst out!;) (No, not the one in the fridge!:))

RedRunner wrote: »
    Bumped into FBOT01 along the way last night.

This is the reason for hi-viz clothing :P

yaboya1 wrote: »
    This is the reason for hi-viz clothing :P

ha ha..smartass! Actually he was well hi-vizzed up. Flew by me in a orange streak!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

RedRunner wrote: »
    I've decided to put my old thread behind me:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056795328 and move on with fresh outlook and new priorities. A bit of a play on words with the Log title but I think it sums up my wish to conquer by back problem and get back to achieving my potential in the future..

And also 2015 is the year Doc & Marty travel to in 'Back to the Future 2'!

Welcome back.

HelenAnne wrote: »

True, but us runners do need roads :cool:

HelenAnne wrote: »

Welcome back.

Ha ha. Brilliant. It must be fate Helen! And you know what the tagline for that movie was?........"Getting back was only the beginning";)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Just watch out for Biff :D:D

Been just trying to continue the strength work and some short runs every two/three days. Doing bike work also in between.

7/1 : 2.81mi @ 9:23

Easy run in the wind in rain .Good to see what that feels like again.

10/1: 4.17 @9:06

Felt good to go a bit longer in distance and aerobically felt ok, certainly a lot better than on first run of the year. Must be careful though and resist the temptation of doing too much too soon.

Got confirmation of another appointment with the physio on Tuesday for a review of where I am and to come up with a new plan for making further progress. Looking forward to that.

The back has been pretty good this week. Still the same old problem of pain when sitting and still find driving difficult if any longer than 30 mins in the driver seat.

Grand total of 10+ miles for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Fantastic to see you back at it RR. I feel like I have a come-back buddy now :p Best of luck!

Runchick wrote: »
    Fantastic to see you back at it RR. I feel like I have a come-back buddy now :p Best of luck!

I still have a bit to catch you up but yes, likewise. :)

Thought I'd post a weekly weight check just to keep me honest.

Starting weight jan 1st: 15st9.6lbs/ 99.8kg

Today : 15st7lbs/ 98.6kg

No big changes except cut down on sugar and have done a few runs in addition to core stuff and bike. Zero alcohol this week too.

12/1 -Easy lunchtime run . Felt a tougher aerobically than last run but I'd say this was due a lot to windy conditions and undulating route.

3.11 miles @8:59

13/1- Back to physio today. Overall he was pleased with progress. He is confident the disc problem has settled and that all the pain I'm currently having is muscular. He also noticed that my muscle mass in glutes has increased. I was glad to hear that because it proved all my hard work recently has had a positive effect.

So my focus for next few weeks will be on working the muscle in lower back. I have to be very focussed on my posture. If you can picture it, there are three positions, A,B and C where A is where your back is slightly arched inwards, C is where you are pretty much in a slouched position and B is the best position. So I'll be practising the B position every waking minute trying to train myself to do it naturally. Will attempt to incorporate this into the exercises I'm doing too. This is very much a DIY recovery with some expert guidance once in a while and a weekly email exchange so have to continue the discipline.

I can continue the running which is great and eventually hopefully I can improve the running posture also as well as doing it during exercise routines and daily living. This is the plan anyway! So I'll continue with easy shortish runs every other day for next couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

That's very positive R!
    Great to see you back!

• Advertisement

14/1- 25mins on the bike and loads of strengthening work for back and core work. This stuff takes more out of you than a run -#exhausted

15/1- Set out at lunchtime to get a short run in. No pace in mind as such just to take it handy enough and not kill myself. Turned into a bit of a progression run in very windy conditions which made it a bit tougher. This proved to me that the fitness wasn't too bad and leg strength is pretty good at the moment. Most satisfactory run in a long time but I guess that wouldn't be hard given the amount of running I've done over the last 5 months.

3.4miles @8:38 (9:04, 8:46. 8:32, (7:36))

In other news.... I had to change the wrist strap on my Garmin FR410 as it split.Have switched over to one of the spare fabric straps you get with it when you purchase it.

I'll also name my first race of the year as the St Patrick's Festival 5k on Sunday 15th March. I'm not expecting to be at my best but hopefully fit enough to give it a decent go. I run the athletics club in my job and we are using the race as a big fundraising event for four selected charities. I'm on the org committee for this and hope to get 200 staff to participate so will be busy pushing that for next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Delighted to see all going well. Stick with the core work, I know it's a dose but has to be done!

Contemplating a park run in the morning. Amazing what 4 pints of Bulmers can do for your confidence!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hope you didn't head to St. Anne's for that Parkrun. No event this week!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Hope you didn't head to St. Anne's for that Parkrun. No event this week!

Doh!

Yes, unfortunately I did. There were quite a few though that made the same mistake. Thought that it might have been cancelled because of the frost/ice but see now on the website it was because of Op Transformation walk event.

Ah well, got up and got my run in so all good.

Nice warm up 2 miles @9:16

Then just did a bit of a tempo single lap of park run course plus short jog back to car in the red stable car park.

1.6miles @7:50. Was doing 6:40 ish down the avenue to finish off and garmin has me doing 5:58 as best pace. All fine with the back so happy days. Onwards and upwards.

18/1 - Just core, bike and strength work

19/1 - 3.31miles @8:18 Did this at lunchtime today. Pretty cold out but not too windy. Same loop as last time. Felt pretty good throughout. Beginning to feel the love for running again. Will try increase the mileage in a sensible way this week.

Followed up with core and strength work in the evening.

Operation Transformation Weight Watch time:

Starting weight Jan 1st: 15st9.6lbs/ 99.8kg

Last Week : 15st7lbs/ 98.6kg

Today : 15st 6.2lbs/98.3kg

Disappointing this week but in fairness diet probably not as disciplined this week and the pints on Friday probably didn't help although not sure how long it takes between consumption to actually adding the weight on? Might depend on rate of metabolism.Anybody know the answer to that?

Back pain still lurking when sitting etc but think it is improving ever so slightly.

20/1 - Lots of core work .Noticed my calf was very tender and on examination there was a bit of a knot alright. Some very painful foam rolling ensued and nearly passed out with the pain. Tried using the knuckles as well to rub it out. Bloody painful so left it.

21/1- Original plan was to get a run in today and even though the calf had improved slightly, decide to give it another day. Why risk making it worse now at this stage, right? Did some good core work and 20 minutes on the bike.

22/1 - Got out tonight when I got home from work. Calf was feeling a lot better so reckoned it would be fine. Plan was to keep it easy and try go a bit longer than 4 miles.Scared the bejaysus out of some poor woman along the way who was walking her dog. As I passed her out she let out a yelp. Felt like I had to turn around and apologise but she recognised that I was not about to mug her! Met a couple of clubmates down at the causeway at Raheny. Nice to say hello as I haven't been involved in any club runs for such a long time now.

Enjoyable run.Just long enough and pace was enough to make it a good aerobic workout without being too hard on myself.

5.8miles @8:54

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Trying to catch up in these parts recent and only spotted this now. Nice to see ya back ;) at it! Will be following. Easy does it!

23/1- A few circuits of core work including ab crunches, pelvic tilts with leg lifts, bridges using swiss ball, front planks and more.

24/1 - St Annes Park Run 23:06

Arrived about 9.15 and made my way over to start area to do a bit of a warm up before. Met Digger and CL and had a quick chat with Digger while CL went off on her warm up. Good to catch up. I was in about four minds about how to approach this one. I'm convinced I suffer from some kind of runners version of multiple personality disorder. The conditions were quite slippy so thought I'd just take it handy. Then I was thinking , it would be good to do 8 min miles and do a low 24 ish time. I didn't really make my mind up until about half way through the first lap.

Anyway finished my short warmup and met a couple of friends and we chatted before heading over to the start line, I purposely stayed towards the back so as not to get carried away. I headed off at a comfortable enough pace. The surface was slippy in a couple of places but overall it wasn't actually that bad so didn't have to worry about that aspect. I think I looked at my watch once during the whole of this run which is really unusual. At some point during the first lap I decided to use this outing as a kind of benchmark on which to judge my future improvements so I tried to keep it hard but steady at a pace I thought I could maintain until the end.
    Met FBOT01 along the way as he was pacing 25mins and after exchanging a few words I kicked on trying to find a good rhythm.

I was happy going into second lap that I still had plenty to give and was nice to hear the dulcet tones of the one and only Marthastew on the stopwatch giving out the lap times. That gave me a little boost. Thanks MS;) . Was keeping it nice and steady and I think only one person overtook me from there until the end. Pushed hard on the long run into the finish and thought I went a bit too early so had to reign it in a bit and then push again about 100m out to finish in 52nd spot. My garmin has me at 23:01 but official time is 23:06. Either way I was delighted with that considering the amount of running I've done lately and zero speed work. I still have a long way to go but I took a lot of positives out of that run today.

Met Wubble Wubble from Boards at the finish, a former opponent on the football field, good to say hello J. I did a nice warm down after that and headed home. Some stretching, a second breakfast and then off out again to help with the goody bag packing for the Raheny5 tomorrow. I never want to see another plaque again!

0.64miles warmup @11:24
    3.09 miles @7:28 (7:42,7:31,7:15,(6:32))
    1.14 miles @9:17

Total of 4.87miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Brilliant pacing RR, well done :cool:

Advertisement