Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to the Future

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

+1 to the above RR. Sorry to hear your back is playing up. I know you need to find a solution to your specific issues as no two injuries are the same (My own rehab was a curious mix of swimming, walking, physical therapy, osteopathy, pilates (;)), gym work, proprioception and McKenzie back exercises). I thought I would go nuts as I ended up not being able to run for 5 months. This is probably going to test your patience (and your wallet :rolleyes:) but you will get there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

annapr wrote: »
    That's really disappointing for you RR, sorry to hear it. A dodgy back is really a curse. Hopefully resting it will get you back again before too long.

Thanks Anna. We live in hope!
    I've gone 2.5 years without a solid training block due to recurring injuries. Without cycling I probably would have given up.

Keep up the fitness and keep at the core exercises, make sure you enjoy what you're doing.

Thanks MM. Probably good timing then with my recent bicycle purchase!:)
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Well my advice would be to stop everything until you talk to doc/physio. You don't know if these problems are being caused or exacerbated by running, cycling, stretching, or core work, or any combination of same. Time for a reevaluation of the whole regime, maybe adding back one at a time over a long period once you recover. That would be my thinking anyway, following further medical advice from the informed position of where you are now in relation to where you were at the last MRI etc.

All the best with it, R. It is a curse alright.

I know what you're saying D. I'll take a few days off see if there is any improvement, take stock and contact my physio guy to formulate a plan!
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    +1 to the above RR. Sorry to hear your back is playing up. I know you need to find a solution to your specific issues as no two injuries are the same (My own rehab was a curious mix of swimming, walking, physical therapy, osteopathy, pilates (;)), gym work, proprioception and McKenzie back exercises). I thought I would go nuts as I ended up not being able to run for 5 months. This is probably going to test your patience (and your wallet :rolleyes:) but you will get there!

Wow. That's some list! Proprio..wha? very new-age indeed. I'd try anything now though to be honest. Thanks for the kind words.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Proprio..wha? very new-age indeed. I'd try anything now though to be honest.
    It's really just standing on one leg while doing everyday stuff! Re-training the neurological pathways or some such :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Sorry to read this R but you have a great attitude and I've no doubt you'll find a way to get back on the road. Not a bad time of year to pick up the bike either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Aw R I feel for you...so frustrating. Really hope you're able to get to the bottom of it and get back out there.

• Advertisement

Runchick wrote: »
    Sorry to read this R but you have a great attitude and I've no doubt you'll find a way to get back on the road. Not a bad time of year to pick up the bike either :)
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Aw R I feel for you...so frustrating. Really hope you're able to get to the bottom of it and get back out there.

Don't worry...

346439.png

22/4 - 2/5 - No running due to flare up of back issue. Rested mostly in the first week and more recently did a few stints on the static bike and some basic strength work.

Wrote an email to the physio suggesting a way forward that consisted of running every second day with core work on days off and do a weekly pilates class(I even rang the Pilates Centre in Clontarf Bungy Girl!;)) I gave him a detailed breakdown of the last 6 or 7 weeks running too. The conclusions I have been coming too were maybe too much running and not enough core work and I needed to address the imbalance.

The physio responded and thought that overall I was doing well but I needed to address the structure of my week alright. His exact words being "Overall, you are doing really well. I think there are still problems with how you are structuring your week and also your ability to sustain consistent volume"

So the upshot is that he is referring me onto the S&C guy in the SSC for some help with programming both gym and running. I think this is exactly what I need right now, some expert guidance with a strict plan that combines gym work and running.
    They also run a back class for 12 weeks that could be beneficial so going to check that out.

In meantime I got out this morning for a very enjoyable short trip of 3.49 miles @8:30 avg. A little faster than normal easy due to the freshness in the legs I think but great to be back out there. I really do miss it!

Mileage Table

Month|2015|2014
    Jan|54|189
    Feb|85|167
    Mar|136|222
    Apr|70|101
    May||140
    Jun||131
    Jul||181
    Aug||87
    Sep||12
    Oct||30
    Nov||0
    Dec||0

Wrote an email to the physio suggesting a way forward that consisted of running every second day with core work on days off and do a weekly pilates class(I even rang the Pilates Centre in Clontarf Bungy Girl!;))

I approve ;)

I approve ;)

Ha ha. I'm glad. I'll have to postpone the trip to clontarf for moment though as physio reckons I'm not strong enough for it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

So the upshot is that he is referring me onto the S&C guy in the SSC for some help with programming both gym and running.

Would that be the lovely David by any chance ;):D

Best of luck with the rehab

• Advertisement

Ha ha. I'm glad. I'll have to postpone the trip to clontarf for moment though as physio reckons I'm not strong enough for it yet.

Yeah the classes are challenging - nothing fluffy about them! But when the time is right they'll be of great benefit to your running.

Sounds like you have a great outline plan in place.

Just one thought/question, and sorry if I've missed this in your log already, do you run on grass ? Or which surface mainly ?

Would that be the lovely David by any chance ;):D

Best of luck with the rehab

Haha..yes I do remember you drooling talking about the lovely David before on your log. Alas no, it is Neil Welch, the lead S&C. Don't see David on the website actually, maybe he has gone from there?

Yeah the classes are challenging - nothing fluffy about them! But when the time is right they'll be of great benefit to your running.

Sounds like you have a great outline plan in place.

Just one thought/question, and sorry if I've missed this in your log already, do you run on grass ? Or which surface mainly ?
    Just a high level plan at moment . Can't wait to see the detail and I'll share that with you all.

As for running on grass. I do a bit, probably not enough but the uneven surface underfoot upsets me at times as it knocks me out of rhythm and I lose form easily. Maybe I should look harder for flatter grassy bits in st Anne's for example.
    I do try and mix it up a bit though. For example if running home from work I tend to run along the grassy bits in clontarf and then use the cycle track Tarmac for most part after.

My coach just mailed me in fact to say flat grassy surface is what I should try run on for moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Polo Grounds in Park is excellent for longer grassy runs. Very smooth. Best grass in St Anne's is possibly around the big GAA pitches.

4/5- 30 mins on the bike. 30 mins core and glutes work

5/5 - 5.31miles @8:42. Went out with rain jacket on expecting rain and got sunshine during this lunchtime run. Sweating buckets by the end of it. From city centre up to grand canal just past Crumlin road, back to leeson bridge and back to work via Stephen's green. Pleasant run. Not too taxing. The annoying Achilles niggle still there though no matter how much stretching or foam rolling I'm doing. I know there is a bit of a knot in my calf on that side, perhaps that is the root cause.

Earliest appointment I could get with S&C guy is Wed 13th so will run every second day and stick to easy runs in the meantime.

6/7 - Rested

7/7- 4.97 miles at what felt like a very comfortable 8:22 pace:confused:

Down from Dame St to Pearse St, onto Irishtown, incorporated a couple of laps of Ringsend park and the over the east link and back up the quays to city centre. Glorious weather, really enjoyed this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

The only confusing part there is the lack of a 0.03 to make it a nice even 5 miles !

6/7 - Rested

7/7- 4.97 miles at what felt like a very comfortable 8:22 pace:confused:

Great pace! Must be all the resting :D

Great pace! Must be all the resting :D

That's what I was thinking. There might be something in this running every second day approach:)
    ....cue CareerMove to tell me I'm still running too fast for an easy run:p

The only confusing part there is the lack of a 0.03 to make it a nice even 5 miles !

Ha ha, yes there was a lttle moment of disappointment when I hit the stop button that I hadn't gotten over the 5 miles but I soon got over it. I was wondering would anyone pick up on it..... and sure enough ,there's always one!;):D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

As long as you don't finish the year on 999.7 miles we'll let you away with it.

adrian522 wrote: »
    As long as you don't finish the year on 999.7 miles we'll let you away with it.

No, I couldn't live with myself if I let that happen !:D

8/5-passed an exam today that I had been studying my ar5e off for! Boom!

Celebrated with beer and wine.....because I deserve it!

Planning a long run this weekend , not sure which day yet but hoping for 10miles +

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

8/5-passed an exam today that I had been studying my ar5e off for! Boom!

Celebrated with beer and wine.....because I deserve it!

Planning a long run this weekend , not sure which day yet but hoping for 10miles +

Hi R,

Just wondering about the reasoning behind the 10+ miles? I thought it seemed alot given your recent back flare up, if this is your first week easing back into it would you not be best with something a bit shorter? Sorry if I'm way off the mark, I normally don't comment on other people's training as I'm not that experienced obviously, just this bit jumped out at me!

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Hi R,

Just wondering about the reasoning behind the 10+ miles? I thought it seemed alot given your recent back flare up, if this is your first week easing back into it would you not be best with something a bit shorter? Sorry if I'm way off the mark, I normally don't comment on other people's training as I'm not that experienced obviously, just this bit jumped out at me!

Hi Laura,

Perfectly valid question. In my head , if it's not in double digits then it is not a long run.

On the point about easing back into it, I will be taking it nice and handy but now that you mention it my back is a little niggly this morning so I may well reconsider it. Will see how I feel in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Hi Laura,

Perfectly valid question. In my head , if it's not in double digits then it is not a long run.

On the point about easing back into it, I will be taking it nice and handy but now that you mention it my back is a little niggly this morning so I may well reconsider it. Will see how I feel in the morning.

I suppose I was just thinking that if it was me I'd be dropping the idea of the long run for the first week and focused more on just getting out regularly, maybe adding on a couple of miles to whatever I had done midweek if I wanted to stretch it a bit more. But I could be way off with that!! Congrats on the exam by the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Good to see you chomping at the bit but I agree with Laura :) fwiw I consider anything above 8 miles 'long' ;)
    Oh and yes, congrats on the exam!

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    I suppose I was just thinking that if it was me I'd be dropping the idea of the long run for the first week and focused more on just getting out regularly, maybe adding on a couple of miles to whatever I had done midweek if I wanted to stretch it a bit more. But I could be way off with that!! Congrats on the exam by the way :)

But sure that would be the sensible thing to do!
    Thanks L
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Good to see you chomping at the bit but I agree with Laura :) fwiw I consider anything above 8 miles 'long' ;)
    Oh and yes, congrats on the exam!

Thanks DG.

Okay girls , you win:) I'll be a rock of sense , well this week anyway.;)

8/5 - Rested

9/5 - Rested

10/5 - A seriously sensible 6.18 miles @ 8:55 around St Annes Park bringing the weekly total to a massive 16.45 miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Great to see you logging miles again R :) Nice bit of nagging advice here too keeping you sensible, rightly so :P

Advertisement