Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to the Future

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Hi R. Good to hear from you :) Have you tried aqua jogging? (Said with the zeal of the converted :D) I've been for two aqua jogs and I love it - don't like swimming but love aqua jogging, you actually get to *run* :D

Keep hanging in there (like you have a choice...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

RedRunner wrote: »
    Injury Update:
    Long and short of it is that recovery is very slow .After 3 or four massage sessions,five weeks of no running whatsoever and strictly observed exercise regime the improvemt is very slight so far. I still have soreness when I put the foot to the floor first thing in the morning although it goes away pretty soon after that.

That's frustrating all right, but progress is progress and any improvement is bringing you closer to where you need to be. Good on ya for being so diligent with your exercises!
    I am resigned to writing off 2015 and hopefully I'll be back running within the next month so that I can begin to base build and hopefully get through a good winter program. 2016 will be devoted then to managing my way back to where I was in 2014 (pre london) and then the long term view is to nail 2017 and peak just after my 45th birthday:)

All the cool kids are base building :D

+1 to taking the long term view. Makes any short term disappointments a lot more bearable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I found swimming great for loosing out the foot/ankle, whatever it is about the way you use those muscles in the pool v on the road, also I think it works your aerobic system better than any other cross training or at least that's how I felt about it. Any time I swam I got out of the pool and could walk again with no pain so that in itself was motivation for doing it :) Its very frustrating and I feel your pain (literally!!) but do give the pool another try or as DG said maybe try the aqua jogging!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Sorry to hear things are not progressing as quickly as you would have hoped R, keep the strength stuff up, will stand to you in the long run no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Hi R. Good to hear from you :) Have you tried aqua jogging? (Said with the zeal of the converted :D) I've been for two aqua jogs and I love it - don't like swimming but love aqua jogging, you actually get to *run* :D

Keep hanging in there (like you have a choice...)

Not a chance unless I had my own private pool!:o
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    That's frustrating all right, but progress is progress and any improvement is bringing you closer to where you need to be. Good on ya for being so diligent with your exercises!

All the cool kids are base building :D

+1 to taking the long term view. Makes any short term disappointments a lot more bearable.

Thanks BG. Have to try and be positive I suppose. Somehow the longterm view makes it feel easier to cope with strangely:confused:
    Firedance wrote: »
    I found swimming great for loosing out the foot/ankle, whatever it is about the way you use those muscles in the pool v on the road, also I think it works your aerobic system better than any other cross training or at least that's how I felt about it. Any time I swam I got out of the pool and could walk again with no pain so that in itself was motivation for doing it :) Its very frustrating and I feel your pain (literally!!) but do give the pool another try or as DG said maybe try the aqua jogging!
    If the weather keeps up I may even try the sea!

tang1 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear things are not progressing as quickly as you would have hoped R, keep the strength stuff up, will stand to you in the long run no doubt.

Thanks Tang. Yes I'm looking forward to putting that to the test when I eventually get back running!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Good luck with it R.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Keep the faith, R.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Keep the faith, R.

+1 fingers crossed that you work your way back before too long

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Hope the recovery goes well for ya R...
    Comeback race could be the beer mile next year?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

I empathise with your frustration R, bummer. I can't quite figure out if you are more running obsessed than me - I think we're evenly matched and have no doubt we'll both be back on form eventually! Best of luck with the recovery :)

• Advertisement

Runchick wrote: »
    I empathise with your frustration R, bummer. I can't quite figure out if you are more running obsessed than me - I think we're evenly matched and have no doubt we'll both be back on form eventually! Best of luck with the recovery :)

Thanks RC. Just a minor obsession;) You've set a great example for me to aspire to in terms of comebacks despite the recent setback. Hope the hip heals quickly and you are back on track soon!

Felt some improvement when putting weight on the foot first thing in the morning over the last few days. Not 100% but slight improvement on last week. Still tender in one spot on Achilles when you massage it.

Had my first dry needling session ever this morning. Wasn't actually as bad as I thought it might be. Though calf is pretty stiff tonight now after it.

New set of exercises to do too. More single leg calf raises though on a step now with slow heel drop to stretch the Achilles tendon. Another session of dry needling scheduled for next week. Hard work this recovery business!

Felt some improvement when putting weight on the foot first thing in the morning over the last few days. Not 100% but slight improvement on last week. Still tender in one spot on Achilles when you massage it.

Had my first dry needling session ever this morning. Wasn't actually as bad as I thought it might be. Though calf is pretty stiff tonight now after it.

New set of exercises to do too. More single leg calf raises though on a step now with slow heel drop to stretch the Achilles tendon. Another session of dry needling scheduled for next week. Hard work this recovery business!

The dry needling is an odd sensation isn't it ? Effective though.

I don't know what I spent my money on before 'investing' in recovery treatments. Frivolous things like food and bills probably ;)

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    The dry needling is an odd sensation isn't it ? Effective though.

I don't know what I spent my money on before 'investing' in recovery treatments. Frivolous things like food and bills probably ;)

Its a weird sensation alright. How effective remains to be seen!

Expensive recovery to be sure. Imagine the number of bottles of prosecco I could have bought with that money! :-)

So after almost 9 weeks of zero running , several physio treatments including 4 sessions of dry needling, and daily strength work I got permission to do my first step to running again today.

The guidance was about 25 mins starting with a 5 minute walk to warm up then 1 minute jog followed by 2mins walking and repeat until 20 mins or so done. Did this and ended up with few minutes walk to round off at 30 mins. No problems with the Achilles but felt like a baby elephant starting to walk for the first time for the running bits! At least it is a start but feels like I'm right back to square one. Did this in St Annes park , doing the running on the grass and walking on the tarmac path. Will try and get a few more of these done over next week or so but not allowed go over two minutes running or allowed do two consecutive days. It's not too dissimilar to the plan that Bungy Girl shared with me but the physio customised it a bit.

As usual though with me, every silver lining has a cloud! Over last week or so have been experiencing a bit of pain in my right foot, same side as Achilles. Hard to explain but basically feels like I have something under the ball of my foot and results in pain in the toes. Physio had a look at it and reckons that side is a little flatter than the left side. Need to keep an eye on this. It bothers me at times when walking, driving etc . I'm pretty sure I've had this intermittently before but now it seems exaggerated and cant help thinking it might be related to all the calf raises and eccentric stretching I've been doing for the Achilles. I think there may be shoe inserts/orthotics in my future.:rolleyes:

2.39 miles completed in 30 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good to see you on the way back, R.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Orthotics did the job for me ;) recommended

Welcome back. Enjoy what you are allowed to do and don't sweat what you aren't. You'll get there!

Nothing wrong with the insoles R, did the job for me. Recovery will take time and some days may feel like your making zero progress, but you are. Your not shy of hard work, keep the head up and recovery going and you'll be see improvement soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

So after almost 9 weeks of zero running , several physio treatments including 4 sessions of dry needling, and daily strength work I got permission to do my first step to running again today.

The guidance was about 25 mins starting with a 5 minute walk to warm up then 1 minute jog followed by 2mins walking and repeat until 20 mins or so done. Did this and ended up with few minutes walk to round off at 30 mins. No problems with the Achilles but felt like a baby elephant starting to walk for the first time for the running bits! At least it is a start but feels like I'm right back to square one. Did this in St Annes park , doing the running on the grass and walking on the tarmac path. Will try and get a few more of these done over next week or so but not allowed go over two minutes running or allowed do two consecutive days. It's not too dissimilar to the plan that Bungy Girl shared with me but the physio customised it a bit.

As usual though with me, every silver lining has a cloud! Over last week or so have been experiencing a bit of pain in my right foot, same side as Achilles. Hard to explain but basically feels like I have something under the ball of my foot and results in pain in the toes. Physio had a look at it and reckons that side is a little flatter than the left side. Need to keep an eye on this. It bothers me at times when walking, driving etc . I'm pretty sure I've had this intermittently before but now it seems exaggerated and cant help thinking it might be related to all the calf raises and eccentric stretching I've been doing for the Achilles. I think there may be shoe inserts/orthotics in my future.:rolleyes:

2.39 miles completed in 30 mins

Glad you're back! Good to (v briefly) see you this morning (with both of us in normal office clothes instead of shorts for once!). I did that comeback last winter, the walk one minute, run one minute etc one, and it really worked for me. Stick with it and you'll be back to where you were in a few months.

• Advertisement

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Good to (v briefly) see you this morning (with both of us in normal office clothes instead of shorts for once!).

That could be taken completely out of context!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Good to see you back at it. Best of luck with the comeback.

Not on a running forum! I bet 90% of people here have only seen each other clad in such delightful outfits as shorts, compression socks, sweat bands etc. It's a novelty to see people wearing shirts etc.

Not on a running forum! I bet 90% of people here have only seen each other clad in such delightful outfits as shorts, compression socks, sweat bands etc. It's a novelty to see people wearing shirts etc.

Ah i know, i was only messing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

I have been known to say to fellow runners on more than one occasion: "didn't recognise you with your clothes on" :D:D

Great to see you back R, here's to a smooth road onwards and upwards :)

Ha ha...and it was . Cheeky begger!

Glad you're back! Good to (v briefly) see you this morning (with both of us in normal office clothes instead of shorts for once!). I did that comeback last winter, the walk one minute, run one minute etc one, and it really worked for me. Stick with it and you'll be back to where you were in a few months.

Thanks H. Sorry I couldnt stop and chat. Had an urgent appointment with some breakfast before getting to a meeting directly after.

I'm sure i'll catch you around again soon now that I'm kind of back on my feet again. Shorts n'all ;)

Thanks H. Sorry I couldnt stop and chat. Had an urgent appointment with some breakfast before getting to a meeting directly after.

I'm sure i'll catch you around again soon now that I'm kind of back on my feet again. Shorts n'all ;)

No worries, I could see my bus coming down Dame St, so was hurrying also.

Hurray! Great news, delighted you got the green light. You really deserve a break so I hope you can enjoy an uninterrupted return.

• Advertisement

Keep an eye on herself there R as apparently Helenanne met Killerz twice last week "on the commute" so she has form. Not sure what they were wearing but they felt the need to explain it to their other halves....just saying ;)

Advertisement