Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to the Future

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

30/7- cycle commute plus back programme

31/7 - Rested

1/8 - 2.58 miles in 31mins composed of 5 mins walk warm up and 2mins jog, 2 mins walk and repeat for 26 mins.

2/8 - strength work for the calves and achilles

3/8 - 2.28miles in 27:25 - 5mins walking warm up followed by 2mins jogging/walking repeats

4/8- Back programme S&C

5/8- 2.71miles in 31:03 - 5mins walking warm up followed by 2mins jogging/walking repeats

6/8- Rest

7/8- 3.49 miles in 40:29 - 5mins walking warm up followed by 2mins jogging/walking repeats and a sneaky 3.5mins jog at the end;)
    Got a big hello from a fellow runner while doing this in St Annes. I have a hunch that it may have been Duanington. I've seen him before a few times and he always says hello. Since we haven't met I'm assuming he doesn't know me and just gives a friendly hello.

I was a bit worried heading out for this as the general ankle area was a bit achy and it just didn't feel 100%. Once it warmed up though it was grand and I was happy to get out once again.

8/8- 20 mins on static bike followed by loads of core work and stretching

Back to physio on Monday. Hoping I can extend the running sections a little bit next week. I feel like I'm starting to run all over again but at least I can run.

9/8- 2.19miles- 5mins jog/2mins walk/5mins jog/2mins walk/6mins jog

Happy with how this went. Very pleasant conditions. Kept it all on grass around St Annes park.

10/8 - cycle commute and Back programme S&C

At lunchtime went to my physio appointment. I actually jogged down (all of 8mins worth) has to be a good sign though, running to the physio apt right?
    Anyways long story short, another dry needling session (fifth now) and news is good. Tenderness still there but has reduced and I now have permission to try a 20mins (yes 20 consecutive mins running) Will try this on Wednesday hopefully so fingers crossed all goes well with that and I can continue in that vein fro next couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

RedRunner wrote: »
    9/8- 2.19miles- 5mins jog/2mins walk/5mins jog/2mins walk/6mins jog

Happy with how this went. Very pleasant conditions. Kept it all on grass around St Annes park.

10/8 - cycle commute and Back programme S&C

At lunchtime went to my physio appointment. I actually jogged down (all of 8mins worth) has to be a good sign though, running to the physio apt right?
    Anyways long story short, another dry needling session (fifth now) and news is good. Tenderness still there but has reduced and I now have permission to try a 20mins (yes 20 consecutive mins running) Will try this on Wednesday hopefully so fingers crossed all goes well with that and I can continue in that vein fro next couple of weeks.

Do you mid me asking who is dry needling you and does it hurt much? I am getting it done with Sharon this week.

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Do you mid me asking who is dry needling you and does it hurt much? I am getting it done with Sharon this week.

Hi H,

Yes it has been Sharon doing her magic on me. Of the five sessions they've been all fine. Some a bit more uncomfortable than others. It's more of a weird sensation really, felling your muscles twitch that way. I've had worse pain from a sports massage so you'll be fine. You'll be quite stiff afterwards though but that should subside after 24 hours. Although it took me a few days to recover from the first session.

Does this mean you are injured?? Or just some maintenance needed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Hi H,

Yes it has been Sharon doing her magic on me. Of the five sessions they've been all fine. Some a bit more uncomfortable than others. It's more of a weird sensation really, felling your muscles twitch that way. I've had worse pain from a sports massage so you'll be fine. You'll be quite stiff afterwards though but that should subside after 24 hours. Although it took me a few days to recover from the first session.

Does this mean you are injured?? Or just some maintenance needed?

Maintenance! I have some knots in my calves that I can't seem to stretch out. I had a massage a few weeks ago, and it was nice, but didn't really dig in. Richie, from our club, dry-needled my back last year and I found it great, so I thought it might be good for loosening out my calves too -- Tadhg said it would be a good idea (as long as I keep stretching and strengthening and don't overtrain). I didn't mind the dry needling in my back at all, but I was afraid calves might hurt more. Glad to hear they don't!

Glad you're on the mend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Welcome back, R, you have been very patient! Don't go too wild on that 20 min run now :)

annapr wrote: »
    Welcome back, R, you have been very patient! Don't go too wild on that 20 min run now :)

Thanks Anna. Yes this older, wiser self is taking a bit of getting used to!:)

" All good things come to those that wait" and all that.

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Maintenance! I have some knots in my calves that I can't seem to stretch out. I had a massage a few weeks ago, and it was nice, but didn't really dig in. Richie, from our club, dry-needled my back last year and I found it great, so I thought it might be good for loosening out my calves too -- Tadhg said it would be a good idea (as long as I keep stretching and strengthening and don't overtrain). I didn't mind the dry needling in my back at all, but I was afraid calves might hurt more. Glad to hear they don't!

Glad you're on the mend.

Hope it gets sorted soon. Congrats on your recent wins. You're going great guns this weather. See you soon.

11/8- cycle commute plus Back programme S&C. My last class of the 12 week programme. Really feel like it has made a difference so will continue to try and continue the regime at home.
    Pretty sure I saw Belcarra and the other half on my way home on the bike afterwards running down the main avenue in Northwood. If it wasn't them I just made an eejit of myself waving!:)

12/8- Had a long tiring day at work and some residual tiredness from last night but wanted to get out and get my first twenty minute run in. I couldn't wait to do it. Beautiful evening in StAnnes for it. Got out around 8pm and enjoyed every minute of it. 22 mins @ 8:49 ,2.51miles covered on the grass.
    No pain from Achilles so happy days!:D:D:D

Will try something similar at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great to see R, you really deserve a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Delighted to hear. And 2 extra minutes - how rebellious :D

13/8- Nada, pints and GGs instead in Leopardstown

14/8 - Nada, rest and recovery:o

15/8- A very enjoyable run this afternoon around the grass and trails of StAnnes park. Felt very sluggish at beginning but as soon as I warmed into it I really started to enjoy it. Ran totally by feel. I can feel the aerobic fitness is lacking but the legs are good. All that S&C work to thank for that I'm sure. Decided about two thirds into the run I'd do 5k but no more than that no matter how I felt so that's what I did. Stopped dead on 3.1miles and walked back to the car. No sense in overdoing it at this stage. No problems to report except lack of fitness and being about a stone over weight! That's the next thing I have to fix.

3.1 miles in 26:04 @ 8:25avg

16/8 - Lots of Core work, eccentric calf stretches etc etc

17/8 -

AM - Cycle commute to work

PM - Cycle commute from work to home, a small bite to eat and then over to StAnnes for a bit of a run. My watch died about a mile into this so I don't know how far or for how long I ran. I started over the watermill road side and went clockwise around the edges of the park taking in some of the new tarmac path, trail and grass. It felt like somewhere in the region of 3.5-4miles and about 8:40 avg pace. Could be way off there though.

Phew...just as well I didnt go for a swim today I might have stumbled over to the dark side by mistake !:eek:

over to StAnnes for a bit of a run. My watch died about a mile into this so I don't know how far or for how long I ran. I started over the watermill road side and went clockwise around the edges of the park taking in some of the new tarmac path, trail and grass. It felt like somewhere in the region of 3.5-4miles and about 8:40 avg pace. Could be way off there though.

If you follow the perimeter the whole way around the full loop is just under 4 miles but there's a few sections you can bypass which would bring it down to 3.5 miles. So I've no idea either :D. Nice running! New tarmac path, for or against ???

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    If you follow the perimeter the whole way around the full loop is just under 4 miles but there's a few sections you can bypass which would bring it down to 3.5 miles. So I've no idea either :D. Nice running! New tarmac path, for or against ???

Followed the perimeter until main avenue and ran down parallel with avenue on football pitches until I reached end and out onto avenue and then I cut over by the Park Run start line and over to the other pitches where I did half a circuit of that.

the Tarmac path question....Hmm...jury is still out on that one. It's a bit ugly looking so the aesthetics are bad in terms of the surroundings. Running wise though i suppose it offers a softer alternative to concrete in nice surroundings if you didnt want to run on the grass. we might appreciate it more in the Winter perhaps?

Followed the perimeter until main avenue and ran down parallel with avenue on football pitches until I reached end and out onto avenue and then I cut over by the Park Run start line and over to the other pitches where I did half a circuit of that.

Yup. No idea. Call it 4 miles even :pac::pac::pac:
    we might appreciate it more in the Winter perhaps?

True, and if I was going to be all Pollyanna about it that is a plus, but I still think there was nothing wrong with the lovely trail from the coast up Watermill Road :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Yup. No idea. Call it 4 miles even :pac::pac::pac:

True, and if I was going to be all Pollyanna about it that is a plus, but I still think there was nothing wrong with the lovely trail from the coast up Watermill Road :(

I think it may be time to take a few deep breaths and as the songs goes "Let it go" , BG :)

However if you feel really strongly about in why not trail blaze a new route through the woods inside the new path. You lay it out and then start a campaign to encourage people on here to run it. It will be clear before the winetr comes. I might even run myself for the greater good ;)

FBOT01 wrote: »
    I think it may be time to take a few deep breaths and as the songs goes "Let it go" , BG :)

Oh let me grieve in peace. I'll get over it eventually :rolleyes:
    FBOT01 wrote: »
    However if you feel really strongly about in why not trail blaze a new route through the woods inside the new path. You lay it out and then start a campaign to encourage people on here to run it. It will be clear before the winetr comes. I might even run myself for the greater good ;)

You might be on to something there ;). Although the last time I tried that (avoiding the tarmac!) I got covered in nettle stings.

18/8- Cycled to/from work.

19/8- 3.47miles @8:48 along the coast kilbarrack road to watermill and back.

20/8- Core work

21/8- Rest

22/8- Park Run at St Annes. Just wanted to jog around this as just another 5k run and not push it too hard. Plan was to run it by feel and really just see how a park run felt without trying too hard and to see how the Achilles held up. Really enjoyed the run. Took it out purposefully very handy and just et my momentum take over after that while being guarded about overdoing it at any stage. It was a good run to see where I am fitness wise, which is not bad in my estimation all things considered. Didn't bust my lungs or anything but it felt like a good test an everything held up well injury wise.

3.05 miles in 24:07 @7:54avg with 15mins walking warmup beforehand

Mile Splits were :8:21,7:55,7:33,(5:34)

Weights and S&C work in the afternoon.

Plan is to continue in same vein next week 3-4 runs and maybe up the distance of 1 or 2 runs slightly. Trying to build myself up to a point where I can then start a proper base building plan

• Advertisement

Making progress, R, good to see.

23/8-Rest . Bit of core work

24/8- Lunchtime run 3.94miles @8:55

25/8- Cycle to/from work and some core work in PM

26/8- Lunchtime run 4.27miles @8:25.

27/8- Early morning run before work (6:40am:eek:) 4.18miles @8:41

Plan for tomorrow is rest.

On Saturday I was planning to go into the Great Pink Run to support the 31 people from work that I had organized to run. As it turns out we had one person drop out so will take their place and go in and enjoy the atmosphere. I won't race it of course but I may try and dip in under the 24 mins.;)

28/8- Rested as planned

29/8- Great Pink Run (5k) - 24:10 I had organised a group of 30 to do this from work and there was a late drop out so temptation got the better of me and decided to take the spare number and run just to soak up the atmosphere in an event where most would be just doing it for fun and for a good cause. As it happens found out that one of my colleague was running it because his wife has been fighting breast cancer for the last while. I hadn't known this before now. Suddenly my back and Achilles problems felt so insignificant. Thankfully they had received good news the previous day and prognosis was considerably improved despite having to yet go through more treatment. I had wondered why he had got involved because he had never been out with us before but it was all making sense to me now. Of course we all have our reasons for running whether it is one race or many.
    I enjoyed the experience but the back wasn't feeling great that night and the next day. Thankfully it cleared up by the Monday and felt normal again.

30/8- Rested as back was dodgy from previous day and went to see the Dubs with the two boys. It was like watching a car crash in slow motion those last 10 mins.

31/8- Had to travel to Paris for work today. Packed the runners as the back was feeling better today. No chance of a run as didn't get to hotel till late. Long story, big queue at passport control, bomb scare on metro, hotel way out in Disneyland. Glad to hit the pillow that night

1/9- Managed to get a run in this morning . There was a lake, man made most likely near the hotel and did a few laps around that. Good to get it done and set me up nicely for rest of day. 3miles @8:42

2/9- No time for running. We were brought to the Chateau du Thierry to visit the Pannier Champagne cellars last night. Needless to say a few were had. Forget that Prosecco nonsense girls, Champagne is where its at!

3/9- Back to physio. Another dry needling session but left with instructions to continue what i'm doing, gentle increases in volume, continue with exercises and S&C stuff and not to bother with a Spring marathon, leave it a little longer. She will give me a shout in a month to see how I'm getting on.

So next week I will look at beginning base building and will refer to plan that Bungy girl kindly shared with me.

I've also signed up to a Pilates class at work during lunchtime for next 6 weeks. Annual cardiac scan coming soon too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Good to see you progressing R, long may it continue.

tang1 wrote: »
    Good to see you progressing R, long may it continue.

Cheers B. Its slow but I'm getting there. I'm reading Gerry Duffy's "Tick Tock Ten" at the moment and I think his quote about the "Attitude of gratitude" is apt here. Grateful to be able to get out there again and start the journey once more.

4/9- Rested. 1/2 bottle of Pinot Grigio and Dubliner handmade crisps.

5/9- Went along to St Annes Park Run. I hadn't got a run done since Tuesday morning so wasn't expecting much from this. Was hoping for a sub 24 though just so I could tell myself I had progressed from previous two efforts of 24:06 and 24:10. Did a short warmup and a quick hello to a few clubmates and made our way to the start. Went very well in the end. Just tried to keep the pace even and testing without killing myself and crossed the line in 22:45:)
    Very pleased with that considering this is just based very little training.

6/9-The aforementioned clubmates that I met at Park Run encouraged me to get back to the club this morning for long run as it had been so long since I had been down so I went along for my own version of long run, ie a short one!
    It suited me to get out early as both kids had football matches today.

Managed a nice 6.4miles @8:57 half with company and half on my own.

Base building now , beginning in earnest this week.

Well done on the parkrun, R!

7/9 - Cycle commute to/from work 20km total. Some core work in the pm

8/9- Nice run around the outer loop of St Anne's Park. Perfect evening for it. 4.16miles @8:53

9/9 - Lunchtime Pilates class- Wrecked after it! Just wanted to curl up and go asleep. Tough workout.
    In the evening -Club Run. Good to be back at the club again. Longest run in a while but went fine. Maybe a shade faster than it needed to be. Iced the calf and Achilles afterwards just as a precaution. 7.43miles @8:50

Having looked at the base building plan I feel I need about 3 weeks pre-base building base building as I cant really go from a 15 mile week to 30-35 mile week so will gradually build up to it instead. I'm not in a hurry.

10/9 - Rested

11/9 - Core Work

12/9 - 3.13 miles @10min - Just a short run to shake the legs out.

13/9 - Long Run -9miles @9:00- A bit longer than planned but for logistical reasons had to leave car at home. Ran rom home and hooked up with clubmates and did same loop as I did last week with the added bit to get home. Stopped dead on 9 miles and just walked the last few hundred metres to warm down. Ran along the coast towards Howth for a lot of this which coincided with the Great Dublin Bike Ride. Fantastic numbers out for this. There were cyclists passing me all the way from Clontarf to Kilbarrack road. Manage to avoid the worst of the weather.

23 miles and 4 runs for the week.

• Advertisement

Hasn't been a great week or so running wise. Interrupted by travel and niggles and a bit of "fed uppedness"

14/9- Rested but did a bit of core work in the evening

15/9- Had to travel to Brussels for work this evening so managed to get a nice lunchtime run in, taking in the Grand Canal on a pretty warm afternoon.

5.52 miles @8:32

16/9- Brussels. Would like to get back there to see a bit more of it. it was my second time there but never really saw much of it either time.

17/9- Was supposed to have pilates class at lunchtime but very busy being back in office after my midweek trip. Too tired to do anything in the evening.

18/9- Got a call at work by the OH to tell me someone had crashed into her in the car. Thankfully she was fine but need a new door on my car which we only got a few weeks ago. In no mood later for doing anything, the OH was out on the town so I drank a whole bottle of Pinto grigio on my own to console myself!

19/9- Long run from home up along the coast, into St Annes park doing a circuit there and then back down to Dollymount along the causeway and back down the coast to home.

9.66 miles @9:01

Was feeling a bit sore on the left calf/Achilles (not the recently injured one). It had been coming on a bit over previous days so have been icing and stretching and rolling tonight to see if I can get rid of it before taking to the roads again.

Advertisement