Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to the Future

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Extremely tough going in gale force winds, rain and hailstones, to add to the many climbs to be negotiated on a net uphill course. 1:40:40 was as good as I could have hoped for on the day. I've a far more detailed account in the Race Reports if you're interested and/or have considerable time to spare. Back to the bread and butter of Porterstown Parkrun tomorrow!

That's a great time in those conditions. Well done. Good report too!

14/4 - Rested

15/4 - 6.45 miles easy run to work. Cycle home.

16/4 - Rested

17/4- Rested

Very light week. Total of 10.39 miles

18/4 - 6.9miles Easy to steady in 62:49

19/4 - 5.26 miles steady in the early evening. First time I've run in just a t-shirt while training in a long time. Felt good on this run. Probably should have kept it easier put the legs took over from the brain.

20/4 - 7.1 miles easy run into work. I've a bit of a niggle in my big toe area just at joint. It's not affecting my running more so when I'm sitting down doing nothing . Its a bit like gout pain but I'm drinking more water these days and not a whole lot of alcohol so will just keep an eye on it. Previous blood tests have shown a tendency towards gout. Usually though when I get this it passes eventually. Felt tired on latter half of this run. Combination of third day consecutive running, running on empty and only 14 hours recovery time since last run.

Will cycle home today and then take a rest day tomorrow. Will update on the weight later too.

Wednesday Weigh-in

Starting Weight : 16 St 0lbs

Week 9 Weight : 15st 1lbs

Weight Loss this week : 0lb - No change:(
    Total weight Loss : 13lbs

No change but morale lifted by Dubgal's comment at the National Road Relays that I looked like a real runner now! Shucks :-)

21/4- Rested

22/4- Lunchtime run at work. Unintentional progression run 4.27 miles
    8:45,8:25,8:05,7:54,(8:06)

23/4- ran from house to park run and ran back.
    7.92 miles in total. Nice steady run around new course PR in 23:36 mostly with kennyg whom I met during first lap.

24/4- Long run. First one in a long long time from clubhouse. 10.31 miles on the faster side of easy. Ran with one of the girls from club. Small crowd out probably because of 1916 event in town . Good conversation and company and the miles flew by finishing in 89:43
    8:53,8:31,8:41,8:39,8:52,8:50,8:29,8:39,8:44,8:46,(8:26)

6 days running this week brings the total to 41.76 miles. Ooops, that wasn't intentional. Rest up tomorrow and dial back a little next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

RedRunner wrote: »
    21/4- Rested

22/4- Lunchtime run at work. Unintentional progression run 4.27 miles
    8:45,8:25,8:05,7:54,(8:06)

23/4- ran from house to park run and ran back.
    7.92 miles in total. Nice steady run around new course PR in 23:36 mostly with kennyg whom I met during first lap.

24/4- Long run. First one in a long long time from clubhouse. 10.31 miles on the faster side of easy. Ran with one of the girls from club. Small crowd out probably because of 1916 event in town . Good conversation and company and the miles flew by finishing in 89:43
    8:53,8:31,8:41,8:39,8:52,8:50,8:29,8:39,8:44,8:46,(8:26)

6 days running this week brings the total to 41.76 miles. Ooops, that wasn't intentional. Rest up tomorrow and dial back a little next week.

Decent week R. So were you celebrating the Dubs win or your good weeks training when you treated yourself to Sunday dinner from The Hamburger Bar......small town this. You can get away with nothing :P

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Decent week R. So were you celebrating the Dubs win or your good weeks training when you treated yourself to Sunday dinner from The Hamburger Bar......small town this. You can get away with nothing :P

Ha ha......The kids (ahem) wanted chips on the way home from the Dubs match.:o

Under pressure for the next weigh-in now !:eek:

25/4 - Rested

26/4 - Lunchtime run from work. 4.12 miles in 39:01. Got caught in hailstones at start but thankfully didnt last long. Nice run down the quays into ringsend park at back up Pearse st. To work

27/4 - cycle commute in am. Lunchtime Pilate's class. Session in pm

Was thinking about going to club session but didn't get out of work as early as I wanted so this gave me an excuse to chicken out. Decided to do my own thing when I got home and after resting up for an hour headed out to do 6x800 w/3mins jog rec

2 miles easy to warm up followed by intervals

Reps were;

3:35 (7:12)
    3:36 (7:14)
    3:31 (7:04)
    3:24 (6:48)
    3:30 (7:01)
    3:27 (6:55)

Was tired on last couple but pretty happy with how this went overall. Short cool down just under a mile brought nights total to 7.57miles

Weighed in at 14 St 13lbs so dropped 2 lbs this week ( even with the visit to chippers ;-) )

Wednesday Weigh-in

Week 10 Weight : 14st 13lbs

Weight Loss this week : 2lbs:)

Total weight Loss : 15lbs

Just confirmation that a balanced diet can work...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Think I cycled past you last night... looking fit ;) I gave you a last second finger wave

• Advertisement

Steroo wrote: »
    Think I cycled past you last night... looking fit ;) I gave you a last second finger wave

Were you heading in direction of city ? I do recall seeing someone that I thought might be you but wasn't sure with all the lycra:) Were you cycling alongside another person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

27/4 - cycle commute in am. Lunchtime Pilate's class. Session in pm

Was thinking about going to club session but didn't get out of work as early as I wanted

Pity you missed it. It was fun, and we had a big group. The weather was pretty fun until the last lap, when it hailed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Were you heading in direction of city ? I do recall seeing someone that I thought might be you but wasn't sure with all the lycra:) Were you cycling alongside another person?

Bingo. It was spandex

28/4 - rested. Just cycle commute home

29/4 - run into work along coast. Met Duanington coming in the opposite direction. Bit of a stiff breeze at clontarf. 7.09 miles easy

30/4 - 5.77mi progression run

8:43,8:25,7:45,7:42,7:23,(8:15)

Nice morning for it. Enjoy the test of this. Feeling strong, form good ,controlled breathing. All good. Making progress. Bit of a niggle at start in knee. Some foam rolling will sort that out.
    Was thinking of tallaght AC 5k tomw but kids have matches so will opt for lsr instead.

Had the privilege of getting a tour of the institute of sport yesterday. Impressive set up. Hopefully will see results of investment in years to come across all sports.

1/5- Long run from clubhouse. 10.3 miles in 90:09
    8:52,8:23,8:56,8:53,8:51,8:47,8:39,8:52,8:48,8:47,(7:57)

Big rush after this to ferry boys to two football matches. Quick shower in between and didn't get much time for proper stretching. Rest day tomorrow but plan to do lots of stretching and foam rolling.

Another solid week under the belt with total of 34.85 miles.

2/5 - Rested. Some stretching and rolling only

3/5 - Cycle commute into work and runmute home.Very pleasant evening for it. Back is a bit niggly at the moment. Could be increased workrate or weekend working in the garden on long overdue fence erection. Most likely the latter as this was the scene of the crime for my last major back injury when I was clearing the way for the fence( that's two years ago). I'm going to be careful and watch this.

7.08 miles in 61:42

9:40,8:48,8:35,8:51,8:48,8:10,8:07

4/5 - Taking a rest day. Don't want to aggravate the back by doing a session today so will take a rest and keep it easy for rest of week with one eye on RTE 5 miler on Saturday.

Signed up for London Marathon ballot today and also the entire Dublin marathon series including the marathon...Yikes ! Must ring the physio to warn him !

Edit: Forgot to mention my lunchtime pilates class today. #CoreisKing

5/5 - Popped out when I got home from work for an easy run along the coast up to the roundabout at the end of the causeway and then back. Spotted a couple of club mates out too including MisterDrak from on here.

Felt very tired and lethargic before heading out. Worryingly that niggle in the knee was there again in the first 100metres but it soon went away. I'm pretty sure it is down to tightness in the quad pull the knee cap off track but will have to keep an eye on this and I think a good rub down is needed so I will schedule something for early next week.

End result was 5.18miles in 44:56 at around 8:40min/mile avg on a balmy evening.

6/5 - Resting today as a mini taper for the RTE 5 mile tomorrow morning. Looking forward to seeing where I am at this distance. My PB is 35:18 but I don't think I'll be breaking that tomorrow. Based on my current standard I should be doing 37:17. The next standard up is 36:15 so that is going to be my target for tomorrow.

Official results not up yet but watchtime today was 35:45. Well pleased with that. Well under target. Had to dig in for last mile but shows I'm making good progress. Proper update tomorrow

7/5 - RTE 5 Mile Race

As you can see from previous posts I hit my target of 36:15 and cleared it by a good 30 secs. I'm really happy with it. I wont do a race report as it would be pretty boring. Basically first lap pace was a bit hot so dialled it back and for last two miles I was pretty much hanging in as I haven't raced this distance in a long time having only done some park runs and the GIR while longer is a bit different and the winter series which was all 1, 2 or 3 miles. It was really a case of try to match my performance at the 4 mile race a few weeks back (which officially was a PB) and see if I could hold on for another mile.

4.5 laps of RTE/Nutley/Ailesbury road was a bit tedious but conditions were pretty good after the earlier rain. Ran the last 2 laps pretty much on my own and just tried to keep something in reserve for final mile. This is pretty evident by my splits.

6:53,7:12,7:15,7:23,7:01

for 35:45 which is only a Hamburger Bar 1/4 pounder away from my PB;) of 35:18. With more training I'm confident I can beat that this year, just not sure when. The Irish Runner 5 mile is a different kind of course, this one was dead flat.

Including w/u and c/d 7.69 miles for the day.

8/5 - Longish run from clubhouse. Would have liked to get out to Meath for the Canal run but young lads match put pay to that so an early one from the club it was. Still feeling yesterday's race in the legs 8.88 miles easy in around 8:48 avg pace.

Young lad won his match and secured league title as a result.

Weekly total 28.83 miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done R seems by look of mile 5 you had more than you thought in mile 4 do you think you could have pushed in mile 4 and still had strong finish, just interested as I often find I have s flat mile around same time in 5 miles, but
    always think more mental than physical. See if you did a report I'd have may
    have had answer:D

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Well done R seems by look of mile 5 you had more than you thought in mile 4 do you think you could have pushed in mile 4 and still had strong finish, just interested as I often find I have s flat mile around same time in 5 miles, but
    always think more mental than physical. See if you did a report I'd have may
    have had answer:D

Ha ha...yes. You might be right. I do have a tendency sometimes to be conservative during races in the middle to ensure I either finish or finish stronger. There might be a case for being that bit braver and push a bit harder in future races and just see what happens. I try to learn something from each race about my mental and physical state and perhaps that is the key learning from this one. Thanks G.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well done R, great to get well in under your target. What's up next?

Duanington wrote: »
    Well done R, great to get well in under your target. What's up next?

Thanks D. Well at the moment my race calendar looks something like this

19th May - Dublin Staff Relay 5k per leg
    24th May - BHAA 5km Beach Race (Tentative)
    12th June - Irish Runner 5 mile
    15th June - BHAA Trinity Track- 1200m and 2000m
    24th July - Fingal 10k
    7th August - Rock n Roll HM
    20th August - Frank Duffy 10 mile
    24th September - Dublin HM
    30th October - DCM

^^^^^ forgot to mention the Beer Mile too of course, where I hope to take the Novice title ! :-)

9/5- Rested. Much need. The race on Saturday and the LR on Sunday had left the body pretty tired and stiff.

10/5 - AM Easy runmute to work along the coast in drizzly rain. Overdressed again so was sweating buckets. Pretty uneventful run. 7.08 miles in 65 mins

PM - Sports massage. Gave a run down of all my niggles and diagnosis is just general tightness and to keep an eye on it. He worked on my calves, hamstrings and quads. Feeling the benefit of it this morning.

11/5 - Easy run from clubhouse this evening with small group of clubmates. It was a nice evening for it and pace was just grand. No issues with the knee. Reckon I'll just concentrate on miles this week and no hard sessions although I may give a parkrun a blast on Saturday. Ruling out the Terenure 5 in favour of an LSR.

6.51 miles easy in 58:26.

Forgot to add in my weight progress last week accidentally on purpose:o

Back to normal now though:)

Wednesday Weigh-in

Week 12 Weight : 14st 13lbs

Weight Loss this week : 3lbs

12/5- run home from work 6.39 miles in 58:29. Nothing to report really.

13/5- run into work. Knew this was a bad idea about half way into it. Was feeling a bit of a niggle at bottom of hamstring just behind knee. While it wasn't enough to stop running I knew it might be a problem later. It's a strain due to fatigue. I know because I had it before. The two runs so close together was a bad idea but I did it for logistical reasons. As a result I didn't run over the weekend or since Friday. I've got the Dublin staff relay on Thursday so trying to recover in time for that. If it was an individual race I wouldn't bother but because I've a team depending on me I'll have to risk it. Hopefully I'll be OK and if I get through it unscathed I'll take the rest of week off and start again next week all things going well.

7.13 miles in 64:32

Weekly total 21 miles

14/5-17/5 - nothing

18/5 - Still nothing. Leg still a bit gammy. Fine for cycling in and out of work which I have been doing.

At least I haven't put on any weight.

Wednesday Weigh-in

Week 13 Weight : 14st 13lbs

Weight Loss this week : 0lbs

19/5 - Dublin Staff Relay

Was dreading this to be honest as the leg was still a bit sore. Wouldn't be bothering only its a team event so the goal was really to get around and do the least damage possible but try and post a half decent time if I could.

Was a tricky enough course. The downhill match the uphills but the wind was a bit of a pain in places. Felt very heavy legged when I took the baton for leg 3 but got better as I progressed down the Khyber. Was pretty goosed by 3k though to be honest and just tried to keep it going. The leg was playing up at this stage and just wanted to get it over with at this stage. Got a great shout out from Annapr as I went through the tented village section and got over the line in the end in 21:26. My first sub 22 of 2016 I thought but unfortunately it was a tad bit short of 5k (3 miles exactly)

This was a great event and enjoyed it despite the painful leg. Our team came 25th in a field of 514 so was delighted with that. Our other teams came 55th and 101st so a good night for us overall. RTE won in a savage time of 1:26 . We did 1:43.

My splits tell a story 6:31,7:31,7:25
    Leg is crocked today as expected so I think I'll need a week to sort this out before I get back into any training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Mind yourself R, think you would have safely ran under 22 for full 5k anyway. rest and foam roll & exercises.

Advertisement