Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to the Future

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Sorry to hear you're crocked today, RR, and to have missed you yesterday. It was a great event I thought. Well done and hope the body recovers quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Just a bit of an update.

Today is day 10 with no running. The pain has not gone way but has improved ,just very slowly. Some amateur self diagnosis with the aid of anatomy pictures from the internet..of the leg....lead me to believe this is ligament injury rather than muscular. I think either the medial collateral ligament or fibula. It's hard to be sure but the pain is in that region. Hurts if I put pressure on the knee. Kills me if I try kick a ball. I can manage single leg squats...easy ones ..though at the moment so I think it just needs more time. I'll give it whatever is needed and then my focus will turn to DCM preparations. I'm going to forget about chasing PBS for the rest of the year and just focus on getting to start line in October.
    Frustrating but no one to blame except myself.

On a more serious note have experienced some odd episodes of chest pain and dizziness recently. Those of you who have read my log from beginning will know I've a cardiac anomaly which requires an annual check up. I'm due next one in September but have arranged to bring it forward to next week . Hopefully it will show nothing to worry about and won't affect my running.

As you might have guessed by now, things aren't exactly going well for me at the moment. I have now gone 34 days straight with zero running:(:(:(

While the leg is improving it is extremely slow. I had the last couple of weeks off work and I worked hard every day on static bike and core work, taking protein supplements in a hope that it may speed up the healing process and the hot water bottle goes on every evening.

Back to work now and cycling in and out of work without any problem with it. At its worst it just feels a little tired but I don't have any real pain as such. In general it just doesn't feel right so I'm going to try jog around the park run at the weekend and see how it reacts before I decide my next step. I'm not sure that a visit to physio would yield anything other than a €55 bill but I'll consider it if it still feels the same next week.

Assuming that I do get it right in the next couple of weeks I've decided that my primary goal will be to get to start line of DCM in October and just get around the course and enjoy it without chasing any time. With a bit of luck my ballot entry will come up for London 2017 and that will be where I go for a time. If not I'll pick another Spring marathon that easy to get an entry for.

So no more racing for me this year really and no chasing PBs until I get myself 100% again. It's bloody depressing but it is what it is and I'll just have to deal with it as best I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Hey R,

I'm sorry to hear that. Are you ok? Did you get heart checked out, everything ok?

Would you not go see someone rather than driving yourself mad counting days since last run?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

^^^what aquinn says^^^

You'll drive yourself nuts second guessing and diagnosing the injury yourself R - I've been guilty of that in the past and when I eventually bit the bullet and went to a physio, I regretted nod doing it sooner.

If nothing else, you'll get a clear workable path to recovery as opposed to just waiting and hoping. ( with a good physio of course)

Sorry to see you crocked man, hope to see you on the runmute again soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Good luck with the recovery R. Surprised to see you mention dcm if I'm honest. Marathon training even if not looking for a time would surely be tough on the body and it's been an interrupted few months. If you get back to it soon would you not be best focusing on building a good base slowly for the spring?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Sorry to hear not going well still, hope as AQ said all good on heart front.
    Don't put you self under to much pressure for DCM just get yourself
    right first and relax, I know it's easier said than done:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Hi R, sorry to hear you are out of action again... take it very easy coming back... couldn't agree more with Laura above, having DCM as a target seems mad at this point... one day at a time, sweet jebus!!!! best of luck with it.

p.s. did you get to the bottom of the dizziness and chest pain?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Best of luck R, and get well soon. Try not to rush back into anything, tempting and all as it may be! "Only" 130 days to DCM....there'll be plenty more of those after a full recovery.

aquinn wrote: »
    Hey R,

I'm sorry to hear that. Are you ok? Did you get heart checked out, everything ok?

Would you not go see someone rather than driving yourself mad counting days since last run?

Thanks A. Re the Heart, I went for the echo and the report gets sent back to the Prof. I haven't heard from him yet so that must be a good sign. The guy in the Mater said he saw nothing that would indicate a major issue but obviously would defer to the Prof. Must give them a call to check though.

Re the leg. Yes maybe you are right.
    Duanington wrote: »
    ^^^what aquinn says^^^

You'll drive yourself nuts second guessing and diagnosing the injury yourself R - I've been guilty of that in the past and when I eventually bit the bullet and went to a physio, I regretted nod doing it sooner.

If nothing else, you'll get a clear workable path to recovery as opposed to just waiting and hoping. ( with a good physio of course)

Sorry to see you crocked man, hope to see you on the runmute again soon

Thanks D. Yes maybe I'll do this as perhaps there is something they can do to help. It would just annoy me if I went along and they just said rest it.
    laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Good luck with the recovery R. Surprised to see you mention dcm if I'm honest. Marathon training even if not looking for a time would surely be tough on the body and it's been an interrupted few months. If you get back to it soon would you not be best focusing on building a good base slowly for the spring?

Oh L, damn you for being so sensible!:)
    I'm just fed up with missing the last three due to injury and its Centenary year! There will be a nice medal! I know . I know. I Know. I just want to give myself every chance. I'll know if I'm not ready when it comes to making the big call. I jinxed myself of course when I entered the full series and paid for it all in one go. More fool me! I'm not dismissing you, just putting your comments to the back of my mind....for now at least.:)
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear not going well still, hope as AQ said all good on heart front.
    Don't put you self under to much pressure for DCM just get yourself
    right first and relax, I know it's easier said than done:)

See above G. Hope your own recovery is going well. Need to catch up on your log.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Hi R, bummer that you are laid up again. Sorry to hear it.

You are probably not going to like the rest of what I have to say :) I agree with all the comments about DCM. It shouldn't be on your agenda but if it is then your delay in going to physio doesn't make sense to me. If you seriously want to make it to the start line then getting a clear diagnosis and treatment/rehab plan should be top of your list. If the advice is rest then take it as ignoring it won't change the issue or the outcome.

The only logical reason I can see for you not going to the physio is that you don't have any faith in the one you use. If you don't have faith in your physio then find another one but if you do have faith then go and take the advice given. Head in the sand/wait and see approach is grand if you have all the time and patience in the world but you don't if you are looking at toeing the line in October coming off a 5/6 week layoff at least.

Best of luck with whatever route you decide to go but for the overall good of your body and mind be sensible!!

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Hi R, bummer that you are laid up again. Sorry to hear it.

You are probably not going to like the rest of what I have to say :) I agree with all the comments about DCM. It shouldn't be on your agenda but if it is then your delay in going to physio doesn't make sense to me. If you seriously want to make it to the start line then getting a clear diagnosis and treatment/rehab plan should be top of your list. If the advice is rest then take it as ignoring it won't change the issue or the outcome.

The only logical reason I can see for you not going to the physio is that you don't have any faith in the one you use. If you don't have faith in your physio then find another one but if you do have faith then go and take the advice given. Head in the sand/wait and see approach is grand if you have all the time and patience in the world but you don't if you are looking at toeing the line in October coming off a 5/6 week layoff at least.

Best of luck with whatever route you decide to go but for the overall good of your body and mind be sensible!!

Thanks M. I appreciate the honesty. I would probably be saying the same thing if someone else came to me for advice. The only reason for my delay really is that the injury has improved just very slowly.

I have faith in the physio I attend. He has sorted me out on more than one occasion.

Appointment made for tomorrow evening after work. I'm still not losing hope on DCM though, not yet anyway.

annapr wrote: »
    Hi R, sorry to hear you are out of action again... take it very easy coming back... couldn't agree more with Laura above, having DCM as a target seems mad at this point... one day at a time, sweet jebus!!!! best of luck with it.

p.s. did you get to the bottom of the dizziness and chest pain?

Thanks Anna. I've been saying one day at a time for the last 34 days:)
    I will make the right call when I need to make a call, don't worry, I'm not that mad.;)

See above response to Aquinn on the other thing but to expand on that I haven't really had any more worrying episodes, just a few palpitations but nothing like pain or dizziness.
    Best of luck R, and get well soon. Try not to rush back into anything, tempting and all as it may be! "Only" 130 days to DCM....there'll be plenty more of those after a full recovery.

jaysus ...130 days...when you say it like that! Thanks J.

The Physio's View;

So I went to the physio yesterday evening and the conclusion is that I have some low level inflammation of the hamstring tendon structure beside the knee.

I have been doing a lot of the right things according to the physio so far but need to add in some strength work and a couple more physio sessions to help speed up the recovery process. He also said that I should have come to him earlier as this could have helped with earlier recovery. So ye were all right of course:o. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing , I think is the lesson for me here. A contributor to the root cause was the muscles and tendons being overworked so I need to rethink my training strategy. When I plot my comeback I will place a heavy emphasis on recovery time between runs, general lifestyle rest (like additional sleep), drink more water etc.

So have some new exercises to add into my regime and will see the physio next week again. In meantime no running , probably looking at another 2-3 weeks off before easing back into it.

Thanks for all the comments and advice and kick in the arse!

First run today in 45 days. 30 mins around St Anne's 2 mins on/off. #bestbirthdaypresentever!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Many happy returns ! A great way to celebrate :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Happy Birthday!! lovely present for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great to see R, Happy Birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Happy birthday - good to see you back at it, good luck with the recovery. Easy does it!

Have been continuing with cycling and strength work since last run and this evening got out for a run. Managed 19 mins of 5mins on,2 mins off. All on grass in sunny St annes. No problems with injury. Some other tiredness in knee possibly just rustiness and my general feeling of fitness is shot to be honest. Will soldier on though and maybe try again at weekend. Back with physio on Monday

• Advertisement

At a BBQ at friends in Raheny last night so left the car there overnight with intention of jogging up to collect this morning. Inspired after reading Ososlo's Belfast 24hr report I threw on the runners and set out along coast into a strong headwind and up into St annes which is near the friends house. Really enjoyed even though aerobically i feel so unfit right now. 27 mins of continuous running at about 9 min/mile. Felt really good. No problems with injury but I think that is about right in terms of easing myself back into it. It's going to be very tight in terms of getting back to a point where I can do enough miles to get around DCM in October safely but I'm determined to try at least without doing anything silly. Back to physio tomorrow so look forward to hearing her views on next steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Good to see you back at it, fingers crossed good news tomorrow. Take
    your time building again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

RedRunner wrote: »
    At a BBQ at friends in Raheny last night so left the car there overnight with intention of jogging up to collect this morning. Inspired after reading Ososlo's Belfast 24hr report I threw on the runners and set out along coast into a strong headwind and up into St annes which is near the friends house. Really enjoyed even though aerobically i feel so unfit right now. 27 mins of continuous running at about 9 min/mile. Felt really good. No problems with injury but I think that is about right in terms of easing myself back into it. It's going to be very tight in terms of getting back to a point where I can do enough miles to get around DCM in October safely but I'm determined to try at least without doing anything silly. Back to physio tomorrow so look forward to hearing her views on next steps.

Pondering how to put this so instead will tell you that last June I only got myself up to running 20 miles a week. I was a week or two behind the marathon plan so didn't start it as it would have been too big a jump in mileage. I let the DCM idea go as a result as without the training I wouldn't do it justice.

I trained with Anna for company when required for her marathon journey. I did 18 miles with her possibly last September so I would have had the fitness but still decided against doing DCM as I also didn't want to be the person who people came on board to tell me that I hadn't properly trained and it wasn't worth it. I fear this will be you this year R.

You have had a long break with resting and injury. I feel that you for still to think that you will make it to the start line of DCM is just mad. You have lost your base fitness yet have kept up cycling and strengthening. For a marathon you need miles in the legs. This is a bad idea in my opinion that you are still even considering Oct.

Do you actually think it is worth it? If not over current injury and the training required to get you to the start line in Oct?

111 days to DCM. Good to see you back out running but yesterday was a short run, obviously it's great that all felt well but really, a marathon as a result?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

I have to agree with aquinn, don't be putting pressure on yourself to be back fit & strong enough for a marathon. I was in similar position last year when returning to running and had sights on DCM, (even won a free entry) . Physical therapist & Coach told me I'd "get around" no problem, but with not enough base miles in the legs i was leaving myself open to injury and taking months to recover afterwards. So i listened to both and planned on Spring marathon instead. So delighted with that decision as it meant i was in a much better position to tackle the marathon.

Think carefully before committing to DCM, Spring is just around the corner after DCM!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

RedRunner wrote: »

Well? What were her views?

aquinn wrote: »
    Pondering how to put this so instead will tell you that last June I only got myself up to running 20 miles a week. I was a week or two behind the marathon plan so didn't start it as it would have been too big a jump in mileage. I let the DCM idea go as a result as without the training I wouldn't do it justice.

I trained with Anna for company when required for her marathon journey. I did 18 miles with her possibly last September so I would have had the fitness but still decided against doing DCM as I also didn't want to be the person who people came on board to tell me that I hadn't properly trained and it wasn't worth it. I fear this will be you this year R.

You have had a long break with resting and injury. I feel that you for still to think that you will make it to the start line of DCM is just mad. You have lost your base fitness yet have kept up cycling and strengthening. For a marathon you need miles in the legs. This is a bad idea in my opinion that you are still even considering Oct.

Do you actually think it is worth it? If not over current injury and the training required to get you to the start line in Oct?

111 days to DCM. Good to see you back out running but yesterday was a short run, obviously it's great that all felt well but really, a marathon as a result?

Hi A. I totally understand where you are coming from and appreciate the concern and your thoughts. Let me try and explain where I am at.

So first of all despite having paid for the entry I have not committed to anything yet except to try and get myself into a position where I have decision to make ie to run or not to run DCM. I have to try, that's in my makeup. I want to do it because I really enjoy the event and just love running it and having missed the last three due to injury I miss it. This is why I am doing all I can to get myself there. It will be my fourth marathon so I would not be going into it with my eyes shut, should I set foot on the start line. I know what is ahead of me and what to expect.

I'm also getting to an age where I consider that "I'll be a long time dead" so I want to grasp life's opportunities when they come along and this includes running events as it is something I enjoy. Its sentimental but I don't want to look back in the future and say "I should have tried.."

Sentiment aside I have said already I won't do anything really stupid and I stand by that. I will know if my body is ready for it or not and will make the right call when the time comes to make that call. We haven't arrived at that point yet.

As regards the miles in the legs. Well I haven't run in 8 weeks. Yes that's not a great start. BUt I had a decent block between February and Mid May which included equaled PB in Mile, close to PB in 5 miles and a half decent 10k time in April. Not to mention consistent running in the club league races at 1,2 and 3 miles. I ran some 30 + mile weeks and a 42 mile week and longest run of about 11 miles. So I believe there is some base there to work with.

To conclude, I welcome your comments and thank you for taking the time to share them. It makes me rethink where I am and challenges my strategy and that is all good. At this point in time I'm just going to do whatever I can to get myself back on track. It may or may not work out , but I'll make a judgement call when I have to and call upon the good advice of yourself and others on here if necessary. But for now, it's about getting back in shape and gradual increases in mileage and playing it by ear.

Younganne wrote: »
    I have to agree with aquinn, don't be putting pressure on yourself to be back fit & strong enough for a marathon. I was in similar position last year when returning to running and had sights on DCM, (even won a free entry) . Physical therapist & Coach told me I'd "get around" no problem, but with not enough base miles in the legs i was leaving myself open to injury and taking months to recover afterwards. So i listened to both and planned on Spring marathon instead. So delighted with that decision as it meant i was in a much better position to tackle the marathon.

Think carefully before committing to DCM, Spring is just around the corner after DCM!!

HI Anne,

You can read my response to aquinn below but to add to it, I have to say I'm not putting any pressure on myself. It is purely a desire to reach a goal, nothing more than that. If it happens , great ,if not, then the target moves out. I'm used to this , I've had to do it plenty of times before and had to deal with the disappointment. Thanks for the comments though. It's heartwarming to see so many people have my best interests at heart, especially when I haven't even met them yet!:)

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Well? What were her views?

Patience my man, patience! ;)

So while my main physio guy is away on hols at the moment another girl who has treated me before has been looking after me the last couple of weeks. I trust her completely and have always found her advice sound and her treatments effective.

I returned to her yesterday evening after work and she put me through a number of exercises to test my strength and we had a chat about what I ahd being doing since my last visit and the progress I had made. She was quite please I had managed 27 mins running without pain and said that this was very good progress in that space of time. She was happy enough with my performance on the exercises and gave me some new ones to add to the portfolio to work on.

She did some more deep massage on hamstrings and was pleased with the state of them. I took the opportunity while on my stomach ( so I didn't have to look her in the eye directly) to seek some home truths on where I am and asked her and I quote "So am I fooling myself thinking I can make the startline of DCM this year?" I was fully prepared to hear " Yes you fool , what are you thinking!!! I should note she is an endurance athlete herself so I take her advice with that in mind too on top of her professional integrity and skills. In paraphrase she replied , on consideration of what level I had been up to before the layoff, that it wasn't out of the question at this stage and that there was still time to get back to the level where I could participate. THis gives me hope but I know there are many caveats to that advice and it is all dependent on the progress I make over the coming weeks and how I manage my recovery and rejig my approach to training. I can't ask for any more than that for now.

25 mins done today with no issues. Will continue with running only every second day at most and assess progress on daily basis with major core and strengthening work on days between runs.

“A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.”
    Winston S. Churchill
    :):):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I kinda agree with aquinn et al but I see where you're coming from, R. I understand the "age" thing obviously, although you have more time than you think, I'd say.

You're an adult and you can do what you want, but I'd maybe advise to stick with whatever exercises the physio recommends and no more - I think I've said it before, but it's possible to stretch, condition and foam roll yourself into an early retirement, and we don't want that to happen again. ;)

All the best with it. See ya out there.

Advertisement