Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to the Future

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Good to see you back at it RR just be careful your not doing too much too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Nice to see you back racing RR.
    Only catching up on most of the logs now.
    Internet down most of the weekend :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

25/1- Rest. Busy day with kids football match in the morning, followed by marshalling for Raheny 5 race followed by post race nosh back at friends house locally. Didn't get any core work done either. Enjoyable day. Great to meet so many Boardsies again especially Mr Stew who looked a picture of health! Well done to all who raced yesterday.

26/1- Ran home from work today. Longest run in months. Nice and easy. Felt fine after it. Could easily have done 10 miles if I wanted.

7.14miles @9:20

Operation Transformation Weight Watch time:

Starting weight Jan 1st: 15st9.6lbs/ 99.8kg

Last Week : 15st6.2lbs/ 98.3kg

Today : 15st 4.8lbs/97.6kg

No huge losses here but its slow, steady and going in the right direction at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Thanks for the cheering, Robbie! much needed and appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice work at the weekend, R. Hope you're being super careful with all that stretching and core stuff.

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Nice work at the weekend, R. Hope you're being super careful with all that stretching and core stuff.

Thanks D. Yes being careful alright. In touch with the physio on a weekly basis for guidance too so as not to overdo it. When I'm back fully fit I intend to stay that way this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Just catching up on this now.......It was good to see you back at parkrun on Saturday. Good luck with the new log and the next chapter in your running life. Take it handy.

27/1- 30 mins on the static bike (17.3km) plus plenty of core

28/1 - Decided to make a return to the club and run with a group. Glutes and backs of legs were a bit sore from work done last night.Their plan was to do 10 miles. Set out not intending to do anywhere near 10. I was thinking maybe 6 in my head beforehand. Ended up somewhere in between. I was a bit annoyed with myself that I didn't cut it shorter sooner than I did. back was a little achy after, I'm guessing just some muscle fatigue.

8.65miles @9:11.

The effort felt faster than 9:11 avg. About 3 miles of this were with a tailwind with pace averaging about 8:50. 3 were into the wind on way home so that made the end of the run a bit of a test. Overall it felt like a great workout but probably a tad too much at this stage in my recovery. Note to self to relax, there will be time for more miles later.

29/1- Still a bit of DOMS from last nights run but no back issues over and above the current expected discomfort. Tonight was just all about doing a bit of core and allowing the body some recovery time. Tomorrow will be a rest day as will be heading out for a few pints.

30/1 - Beer

31/1 - Beer consequences!:rolleyes:

1/2 - Back to business. Kids football match meant I dint get out until the afternoon. Conditions were very pleasant if a bit on the cold side. Easy run planned in region of 7 miles with some hills. Headed off in the direction of Howth and took in the "corkscrew" a local favourite among our club members. Kept the effort easy throughout though the hills definitely got the heart rate up for sure. On the way home I picked it up for a bit towards the end and finished off with a jog home to cool down.

Splits: 8:44,9:01,8:55,9:29,8:58,9:00,7:50,(9:45)

7.64 miles @8:55avg

2/2- 30 mins on static bike and about 45 mins worth of core stuff

Operation Transformation Weight Watch time:

Last Week : 15st4.8lbs/ 97.6kg

Today : 15st 3.4lbs/97kg

• Advertisement

3/2 - Easy run home from work. 7.3miles @9:12 A bit of a niggle in the left knee. Fairly certain this is due to some tightness in left quad and hamstring. Stopped for a few seconds to stretch out the hamstring as I could feel it tightening up around mile 6. That did the trick and I did some more stretching and foam rolling when I got home. Quads were sore enough on the foam roller. Probably could do with a good rub down. Will sort one in next few weeks I think. In meantime, need to foam roll a bit more.

Physio advised me to try and run tall and keep good posture so that will be my focus this week as well as continuing the core work and rolling the bejaysus out of the quads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Your coming along nicely RR, long may it continue.

tang1 wrote: »
    Your coming along nicely RR, long may it continue.

Thanks Tang. It's very early days yet and I'm a million miles from where I'd like to be. But hey, I'm running, my fitness levels don't seem to be too bad and I'm on the right track. A long way to go yet though and just taking each week as it comes right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Know how you feel, same boat myself. Was out for 40 mins Sunday and went on a usual 7 mile loop i'd use, was feeling good and had thoughts of doing the full loop till i copped onto myself, easy does it for the time being as you say.

4/2 - 5.36 miles @8:09avg

There was a 3 mile race at club tonight so most were running in that but went up anyway in case anyone around for some non-race work. Didn't seem to be anyone around so headed off myself with no real plan. Was thinking maybe 6 easy but as I started off, I changed my mind and went for shorter and faster.

Was kind of making it up as I went along. Did 1 mile tempo, 1 mile hard, 1 mile tempo, 1mile hard and easy back to club. The last hard mile was more of a fartlek section using the lamposts along the coast road heading in howth direction pushing hard for each section of about 100m at a time.

Summary for January: 16 runs, 54 miles, biggest mileage week 23miles, fastest run was park run at 23:06.

5/2- 3.37 miles @8:40

Easy lunchtime run with some work colleagues. Surprised to see the pace was that fast as it felt easier. A product perhaps of running in company. Calf was a bit stiff from last nights efforts but plenty of stretching sorted that later.

Tonight I did 20 mins very easy on the bike followed by some core and strengthening work. Plan for tomorrow is rest.

We now have 70+ runners committed to MSB 5k from work. It's hard to get people up for it but if I can get 100+ I'll be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Good stuff

6/2 - Rest

7/2 - Had been toying with the idea of doing a park run this morning but decided in the end that I'd be best served by getting some more easy miles in the legs. Hoping to get into double figures for first time in a long time and managed to do it so delighted with that.

10.53 miles @ 8:58 avg

9:02,8:56,8:45,8:55,8:57,9:19,9:11,9:05,9:10,8:56,(8:08)

Felt really good throughout. Perfect conditions for running, breathing was relaxed throughout and felt pretty strong at the end.

Met laura_ac3 from here along the way too on the coast road. Good to see you are still getting out there L!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Nice times there - you looked very fresh when I saw you!!!

8/2- Short & Brisk 4.24miles@8:00

Short and snappy progression run. Didnt really look at the watch but kept it comfortably testing. Call it a free run if you like. Enjoyed it a lot and wasn't too spent after it.

8:35,8:25,7:34,7:22,(8:45)

30.8 miles for the week (up from 23 previous week) Slowly but surely getting to where I want to be.

• Advertisement

9/2- Original plan was to run home from work but getting up this morning the body felt tired so opted to do some core work and a few minutes on the bike this evening instead. Better to listen to the body at this stage I think and be patient about getting back to 6 days running in a week.

20 mins on the bike followed by core and strengthening work. Even managed a 1 min front plank and a couple of 30 sec side planks. That's good for me! Plenty of ab crunches, a few set of bridges using gym ball and some split squats.

Last Week : 15st 3.4lbs/ 97kg

Today : 15st 4.6lbs/97.5kg :(:(:(:( Must do better!

On a positive note, I feel like the back has improved slightly on last week. I notice it in that I can last the whole DART journey into work now without feeling uncomfortable and I can drive and sit at work for longer than I had been able to recently.

10/2- Easy run home from work. Ran by feel all the way just keeping the effort easy. Didn't look at the watch once. 7.17 miles @9:18

Knee was a little sore at times. A bit of quad foam rolling I think is required.
    Saw FBOT01 as I was nearing home, coming from Howth direction, then a minute later saw him again..???? WTF! Seriously are there two of you? Is there an FBOT02??? My eyes may be deceiving me but either you are a twin or I am definitely losing it!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

He'll be along now to let you know he wasn't out running at all today!

adrian522 wrote: »
    He'll be along now to let you know he wasn't out running at all today!

Ha ha..that would be embarrassing alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

RedRunner wrote: »
    10/2- Easy run home from work. Ran by feel all the way just keeping the effort easy. Didn't look at the watch once. 7.17 miles @9:18

Knee was a little sore at times. A bit of quad foam rolling I think is required.
    Saw FBOT01 as I was nearing home, coming from Howth direction, then a minute later saw him again..???? WTF! Seriously are there two of you? Is there an FBOT02??? My eyes may be deceiving me but either you are a twin or I am definitely losing it!

Yep I said Hello to you alright coming from Howth direction but as far as I know there was only one of me out there. I have been told by numerous sources that one of me is just about as much as the world could take.....so I think the bottom line is that you are losing it:D

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Yep I said Hello to you alright coming from Howth direction but as far as I know there was only one of me out there. I have been told by numerous sources that one of me is just about as much as the world could take.....so I think the bottom line is that you are losing it:D

:confused::confused::o:o Well if it's any consolation you were running faster than your doppelganger!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Maybe the other one was Ferris. :)

Haven't run since 10/2. Struck down with some contagion that has rendered me useless. Finding it really hard to shake. Hopefully will be back running before the week is out. Not a happy bunny!:(:(:(:(:(

...On the plus side:

Last Week : 15st 4.6lbs/ 97.5kg

Today : 15st 3lbs/96.8kg

Felt well enough to try a bit of work tonight. 30 mins done on the bike and 30 mins worth of core stuff. Think I'll chance a run tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

RedRunner wrote: »
    Felt well enough to try a bit of work tonight. 30 mins done on the bike and 30 mins worth of core stuff. Think I'll chance a run tomorrow.

Hope the run goes well tomorrow R and you're back to your best soon :)

Advertisement