Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to the Future

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck R,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow R, will hopefully see you out there. Run well(and sensibly).

Cheers B. Didn't realise you were running tomorrow. Hopefully catch up tomorrow. Warning I'm a few pounds heavier than last we met.:rolleyes:

Did 6.5 miles last night pain free and was at the physio this morning and she gave me the all clear to run tomorrow, just to be "careful on the hills".

Good luck yourself too.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Best of luck R,

Thanks A, appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Have a good run out tomorrow RR. No sprint finishes though ;)!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Have a good one, R but most importantly finish in one piece and ENJOY!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Best Luck tomorrow R, good to hear things improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

good to see you on Sat, albeit briefly.

17/8 - Cycle commute home from work,

18/8 - Rumute home from work easy pace. 6.5miles @9:19. Thankfully no twinges in the knee for the whole trip.

19/8- Rest day running wise and physio visit in the morning. The appointment was originally set up to review progress of hamstring injury but as it turned out it gave me an opportunity for assessment of the recent knee pain so that was the main focus of the appointment. I was willing to accept her telling me not to run the frank Duffy but although I was positive on one of the tests she did , overall she didnt think it was too bad and was happy I had been doing all the right things in how I had dealt with it so far. She gave me the all clear to run FD10 and got a couple of extra exercises to add to the regime. Happy but still a bit apprehensive about FD10 as didnt have full confidence in the knee. At least I could give it a go anyhow and see how i got through it. Physio reckons it should settle in a week or so if i do the exercises.

20/8 - Long Run - 13 miles incorporating Frank Duffy 10 mile

Rain was expected but I didnt think conditions would be as bad as they were. It was going sideways at one point. Plan was to get there early and do a few miles before. My LSR was still only at 12 mile so very conscious I need to get this higher and soon. Got there around 9 ish afer gettign the shuttle bus up and while trying to find a tree to shelter behind to change out of tracksuit I spotted AMK jogging down from Castleknock direction, sporting a healthy tan as usual (I'm sure he has a secret tan bed in his man cave or something):)
    Exchanged a few words and then split up to continue our warm ups. I head off in direction of castleknock gate with backpack on and passed by Wubble wubble along here too if I recollect correctly. Turned around and headed back closer to start line and baggage area. Near here I passed by Tang1 who had a serious race face on so he was clearly aiming for a fast time. Managed a little over 3 miles before getting rid of my baggage and heading down to start line. Bumped into Wubble wubble again at the starting pen, looking fit and aiming for a good time. Kept myself to the back of the field as the plan was really to take it handy enough and feel how the knee was feeling in the early stages.

When we got started there was a wall of runners for first mile or so , so that kept me sensible but it was a little slower than I hoped. Enjoyed the casualness of it all from here on to be honest. No pressure on myself and apart from worrying whether the knee would hold up , relatively stress free running. Was shocked to get a shout out from Tang1 somewhere between 4 and 5 miles. Unfortunately injury took him out early but despite that he took the time to encourage a slow poke like me. That says a lot about the man. Nuf said!

Somewhere between 5 and 6 I was pleasantly surprised to see AQuinn and Annapr. AQuinn had her own distinctive way of encouragement. If I caught it correctly it went something like "you shouldn't be running....." " Be careful.."
    Almost maternal-like, a scolding yet concerned view of my current endeavours. It made me laugh actually and gave me a nicely timed energy boost. Thanks to you both for the support!:)

I took a gel at 7 miles because the tiredness was creeping in a bit. This was teh 10.5 mile stage for me including the few miles beforehand. Knowing that we'd have a few hills to contend with in the last mile or two I tried to manage the pace and let the downhills do the work when needed. The knee was holding up really well at this stage.I was wearing the recently purchased strap and it seems to help stabilise the knee. Coming towards the finish, I think around the 9 mile mark I came across KennyG and his good wife so tagged along with them just for the chat initially but noticed that Mrs KennyG was struggling a bit and wanted to stop so thought I'd offer my support. God knows I've been in that position myself enough times especially when I started running . G had it all under control of course but sometime that extra voice can help in proceedings.
    MrsKennyG was really suffering but fair play to her she really dug in when it was clear it was hurting and at the end even managed a burst to the finish line. It was great to see and was my favourite moment of the day. With myself and KennyG following in behind, I was very satisfied to cross the line having completed the run totally pain free and relatively fresh in 1:31:something. I was very pleased with the day's work.

After a long queue for my bag I bumped into MrsKennyG again and she was very happy with herself, and so she should be . I got myself into some dry clothes and headed off home, happy in the knowledge that there was still some hope for DCM16 and all was not lost yet.

21/8 - Rest

Total miles for week : 26.62

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Good stuff R, nice to bump into you again - it was me the first time as well. Fair play to you for helping out with the KGs!

That's a fine morning's work, and of course we'll be running the same start and finish for the half - all the extras are between 6.x and 9.x miles. Certainly plenty of reasons to be cheerful with regard to DCM.

Thanks R from me & especialy MrsKG who was definitely tired of me at that stage
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Nice report there R and delighted to see the leg held up yesterday. Things looking good for you, and if anyone deserves some good luck on the injury front, you certainly do! Tread very carefully now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

lovely to read that you are running painfree and up to 13 mile already. well done

Good stuff R, nice to bump into you again - it was me the first time as well. Fair play to you for helping out with the KGs!

That's a fine morning's work, and of course we'll be running the same start and finish for the half - all the extras are between 6.x and 9.x miles. Certainly plenty of reasons to be cheerful with regard to DCM.

Cheers J. Well done yourself. Going great guns at the moment.

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Thanks R from me & especialy MrsKG who was definitely tired of me at that stage
    :)

The pleasure was all mine G. Glad to be of some help if I was of some help. She's made of stern stuff, really dug in there at the end.

Ososlo wrote: »
    Nice report there R and delighted to see the leg held up yesterday. Things looking good for you, and if anyone deserves some good luck on the injury front, you certainly do! Tread very carefully now :)

Thanks A. The glass is always half full! (Well sometimes a bit more than half full;))

One day at a time...

Younganne wrote: »
    lovely to read that you are running painfree and up to 13 mile already. well done

Thanks a lot A. Could be better but could be worse too.

22/8 - AM - Cycle commute to work. PM:4.23mi @8:47

Short loop through raheny village and back home along the coast. Felt really good throughout and no issues with the knee. Got a real buzz from this run.

23/8 - 8.95mi@9:37

Ran home from work a very scenic route to get the extra miles. Felt ok during this, but just ok. Had a couple of twinges in the knee but nothing serious.Had 4 miles planned for tomorrow but will rest instead and push it out to Thursday to give the knee a break.

24/8 - No running , just cycle commute home from work.

25/8 - Got an invite to go for a 10k recce near our new building on the quays after work but I had 4 miles in the plan so decided to leave it until I got home. Went out when I got home around 7 ish. Body was not feeling up to it at the beginning at all. Just felt really tired. It turned into a bit of an accidental progression run in the end as I seemed to perk up, the longer the run went on. It wasn't the most enjoyable run ever but I was glad to get it done. Each run I complete pain free is a massive bonus and this was another one for the current collection.

4.24miles @9:04 Splits : 9:27,9:15,8:58,8:53, (7:51)

For weekend I have planned the Breast Cancer Ireland Pink Run 10k in the morning and LSR of 15 miles. If I get through this week unscathed with a successful LSR I'll be happy as a pig in sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

RedRunner wrote: »
    24/8
    For weekend I have planned the Breast Cancer Ireland Pink Run 10k in the morning and LSR of 15 miles. And then off to see the Kingdom put the Jackeens back in there box!!!!

FYP!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

FYP!!!!!

Who's gonna put you back in your box B!! :D

UP THE DUBS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice going R, nice and handy now. ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

24/8 - No running , just cycle commute home from work.

25/8 - Got an invite to go for a 10k recce near our new building on the quays after work but I had 4 miles in the plan so decided to leave it until I got home. Went out when I got home around 7 ish. Body was not feeling up to it at the beginning at all. Just felt really tired. It turned into a bit of an accidental progression run in the end as I seemed to perk up, the longer the run went on. It wasn't the most enjoyable run ever but I was glad to get it done. Each run I complete pain free is a massive bonus and this was another one for the current collection.

4.24miles @9:04 Splits : 9:27,9:15,8:58,8:53, (7:51)

For weekend I have planned the Breast Cancer Ireland Pink Run 10k in the morning and LSR of 15 miles. If I get through this week unscathed with a successful LSR I'll be happy as a pig in sh1t.

I presume you are not racing this 10K tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Yeah R, well? :p

FYP!!!!!

Ha, ha...in your dreams boy....although I think it'll be tight enough. I think we have more strength in depth and better scoring options up front. So if it is an open game I think we'll win by four or five points.

adrian522 wrote: »
    I presume you are not racing this 10K tomorrow?

Correctamundo! No racing no racing no racing! I'll probably aim for something in the region of 50-52 mins similar to Fingal 10k. It's just a training run, full stop.

aquinn wrote: »
    Yeah R, well? :p

Everything is easy for the rest of the year for fear of the wrath of aquinn! ;)

Just out of interest, anyone interested in joining me for the 15 on Sunday or some of it ???. the company I'm sure would help me get through it. I'm reluctant to go out with the club because I could easily end up running it too fast if I'm in the wrong company. I'm thinking 9:30-9;45 pace, early and willing to travel within reason

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Just out of interest, anyone interested in joining me for the 15 on Sunday or some of it ???. the company I'm sure would help me get through it. I'm reluctant to go out with the club because I could easily end up running it too fast if I'm in the wrong company. I'm thinking 9:30-9;45 pace, early and willing to travel within reason

On a self-imposed running hiatus or I'd happily join you for half of that anyway. Rain check ?

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    On a self-imposed running hiatus or I'd happily join you for half of that anyway. Rain check ?

Thanks BG. Rain check it is. Now you enjoy your well earned rest :-)

• Advertisement

We are doing about 8 miles, myself, Gilll and another Gril from Raheny on Sunday evening 6.30 ish Fintans up summit, back down into Howth, might
    go as far as light house on pier and the back to Fintans. Will not be any way
    fast.

Advertisement